Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

The data. 

Essentially, they need the data to perform an analysis on the correlation between exercise and claims stats, with the ultimate view of reducing medical costs and life insurance figures for their "engaged" clientele. 

Also - the cost of the smoothies and coffee and watch would be largely contained by the price of Vitality itself, through cross subsidization (non performers paying for performers)

When you start factoring in the cost savings (on their side) through increased client retention, lower lapse ratios and lower claims payments (fitter people claim less) then the costs of Vitality are miniscule when compared to the savings it brings them. 

Well....they lost my non-claiming sorry ass and I'll take my business somewhere else.  Just because they

1. Don't engage
  2. "Catch" people out with clever marketing.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Nathrix not use the word "penalise" a good few pages back.....repeatedly and was then lambasted for it........

Any of you guys use TomTom devices to earn points?

I have seen workarounds online but for the life of me can't find it. and I know that they no longer support MapmyFitness

Is there anybody that can confirm that a Tomtom device can export a TCX file and you can upload it to Garmin Connect? or will Garmin Connect report it to Discovery as third party data?

Way I understand it is any imported file to Garmin Connect is tagged as coming from an unknown device. So I cannot see Discovery accepting that session.

From my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Lands250

Way I understand it is any imported file to Garmin Connect is tagged as coming from an unknown device. So I cannot see Discovery accepting that session.

That's what I thought. Just wanted to confirm if anybody here found a way to make it work.

I have a friend that would like to earn points for his yearly points.

Are there any mobile apps that Discovery will allow with a blue tooth heart rat monitor?

Yes. You can use Polar Beat. Pair it to a Polar H7 or Wahoo Tickr heart rate monitor, create a Polar Flow account, link it to Discovery and you're good to go.

Yes. You can use Polar Beat. Pair it to a Polar H7 or Wahoo Tickr heart rate monitor, create a Polar Flow account, link it to Discovery and you're good to go.

Thanks for the feedback. Have you tested this yourself?

Yes. I use the Wahoo unit because it is ant+ and Bluetooth so I simultaneously run my Garmin Fenix for the entire duration of my training and the Polar Beat app which I start once my heart rate is high and stop just after 30 minutes of this high intensity. This assures me of my 300 points as my Polar Beat is linked to Discovery, and I then also have an overall record of my full training session on Garmin Connect which is not linked to Discovery. This works well for me, albeit being somewhat tedious, but that's my workaround to Discovery not recognizing a long workout as being vigorous despite a high intensity 30+ minute section and a nice moderate cool off. They only look at average heart rate over the captured data. Their (IMO) erroneous system does not tie in well to properly devised programs where recovery and aerobic base training is just as important as anaerobic threshold training.

Edited by Lands250

Yes. I use the Wahoo unit because it is ant+ and Bluetooth so I simultaneously run my Garmin Fenix for the entire duration of my training and the Polar Beat app which I start once my heart rate is high and stop just after 30 minutes of this high intensity. This assures me of my 300 points as my Polar Beat is linked to Discovery, and I then also have an overall record of my full training session on Garmin Connect which is not linked to Discovery. This works well for me, albeit being somewhat tedious, but that's my workaround to Discovery not recognizing a long workout as being vigorous despite a high intensity 30+ minute section and a nice moderate cool off. They only look at average heart rate over the captured data. Their (IMO) erroneous system does not tie in well to properly devised programs where recovery and aerobic base training is just as important as anaerobic threshold training.

Awesome. Thanx for your detailed response. I understand why you record on two devices.

I was just unsure whether a fitness app would work. He has an iPhone and was unsure which HR monitor to get. So much confusion on the net.

Yes the Polar Beat app works. It allows no manual data input so it's fine. As far as I'm aware it can pair with any smart Bluetooth monitor. I'm 100% sure on the two I mentioned.

Edited by Lands250

Would anybody know if there is an issue with steps not pulling through via Garmin sync to Discovery. Used to work 100% and the last week it has just stopped. My runs and rides pull though 100%

This just game me a great idea! Use polar beat app on my phone (linked to Polar Flow) and my watch (old one linked to Polar personal trainer) at the same time, only starting Beat for the higher intensity part of my workout. Link both Flow and PPT to Discovery and voila! :devil:

Thanks

This just game me a great idea! Use polar beat app on my phone (linked to Polar Flow) and my watch (old one linked to Polar personal trainer) at the same time, only starting Beat for the higher intensity part of my workout. Link both Flow and PPT to Discovery and voila! :devil:

Thanks

I would be cautious about sending them 2 sets of incompatible data of the same workout. They might think you strapped your hrm to your dog. Or maybe to an avo.

Why would they want to do that?

To limit pay outs.....they don't want to pay out....bottom line about bottom line.....easier for them to turn around and say "we would have paid or covered that in full, but you are too ill for that cover now"......"we will cover you but only within certain parameters....the same parameters you are totally unaware of because nobody ever reads the small print".....including your wonderful broker.......

To limit pay outs.....they don't want to pay out....bottom line about bottom line.....easier for them to turn around and say "we would have paid or covered that in full, but you are too ill for that cover now"......"we will cover you but only within certain parameters....the same parameters you are totally unaware of because nobody ever reads the small print".....including your wonderful broker.......

Your argument (or rather, conspiracy theory) does not fly. Here are but a few reasons why - I am sure an industry expert can come up with a lot more.

1. Workout data in no way impacts upon medical aid claims, and neither does it affect life cover. Myles, correct me if I am wrong in this, but there is no suggestion anywhere in any of the Health or Life products which would entitle Discovery to lawfully repudiate a claim due to a sedentary lifestyle;

2. Discovery make their money by insuring people. To suggest that they have an interest in rendering us all uninsurable really does not make any sense;

3. Whether I workout at 60, 70 or 80% of my max hr has got nothing to do with what cover I do or do not qualify for. If they are getting my Vitality data, I am already a Health or Life client anyway.

4. Anyway, medical aids cannot cherry pick their members. After waiting a 3 month joining period, they are obliged to cover you.

5. There is no basis to suggest that Discovery are abusing data to use it as a source for repudiating claims. I would be extremely careful about making such an allegation on a public forum.

Edit: I am sorry to say this, but the increasing vehemence of your anti Discovery-ness has stripped you of your ability to make coherent posts on this thread.

Edited by Harryn