[Event] Stellenbosch Cycle Tour

Nick

Was a nice day out. Where did the wind come from? Thought it was supposed to only be a breeze. Some guys just don't care about littering. A guy from Cape Town Giants (he was wearing the kit) carelessly tossed his gel wrapper after consuming it. Not cool. Also just ignored me when I told him to go pick it up. His race number was 2A 1179. Not cool dude.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey there, saw your son by the bus assumed he had stopped due to heat, would have helped if we knew he was in need. Also helped a lady at bottom of Klapmuts who had a issue with her tire, helped her out and she managed to finish. Cyclist was knocked by Corsa, he was okay from what I could see, driver seemed to be trying to explain himself to law enforcement.

Was a nice day out. Where did the wind come from? Thought it was supposed to only be a breeze. Some guys just don't care about littering. A guy from Cape Town Giants (he was wearing the kit) carelessly tossed his gel wrapper after consuming it. Not cool. Also just ignored me when I told him to go pick it up. His race number was 2A 1179. Not cool dude.

Name and shame organizers this is not cool

I started in 4C, and had a good race the first 70kms. Then it got hot. Really hot and I started struggling. I kept on pouring water over myself just to handle the heat. My body started complaining and the speed kept on dropping. Passed a few blokes that burnt all their matches and were down and out. I did 4h25.

I am a bit disappointed with my fellow cyclists though. My son started in 3C , and had a great race until 65kms, when he had a flat. He inserted his bomb into the valve, and the valve broke, and could not puncture the membrane on the bomb. So he could not inflate the tube after he changed it, and not one cyclist ask him if he is OK, or offered to just pump his tyre for him. Eventually the sweep picked him up. We have a mini-pump, but we never take it along as it is useless.

Hey there, saw your son by the bus assumed he had stopped due to heat, would have helped if we knew he was in need. Also helped a lady at bottom of Klapmuts who had a issue with her tire, helped her out and she managed to finish. Cyclist was knocked by Corsa, he was okay from what I could see, driver seemed to be trying to explain himself to law enforcement.

Yep, it was before Paarl. He was lying in the middle of the road. EMT's were attending. Hope he'll be ok.

Also early morning there was a vehicle accident before Stellenbosch on the right side of the road. A white bakkie rolled. A couple of cyclist stopped to help. Did the lady get out ok?

@Asroc: Yes, thanks for thinking of it.  School fees though.  He is a bit of a shy lad, and wouldn't flag people down for help. He must learn some things the hard way.  We will get him a better quality valve though.  This was the first race where he did not finish because of a technical.  It was frustrating because he had spare bombs.  He showed me the valve.  The nozzle that must puncture the bomb broke clean off.  Cheap crap.  Lesson learned. Don't save money on those important little things.  It helps nothing if you have a super-duper carbon race bike, and your support equipment is junk.

Edited by Moridin

Was a bit of a toughie.
Broken spoke and min training to blame.

What got my goat was watching my bunch steam away from me on the Nelsons Creek climb out of Wellington, and seeing some guy hanging onto his mate's car as it dragged him up the hill past all of us stragglers. Got his number though: 1A-549

1C was hard and fast, got dropped on hells and waited for 1D to latch on, we formed a nice group and lost half of the group turning to the R44, not long we caught the front of 1C who had picked up some 1A,1B & % riders, then it became hell as the bunch become huge with guys riding in the far right dodging oncoming traffic etc.

After all that effort got dropped by 83km very disappointing.

Edited by Malpiet

Initial results out on Racetec.  

Can't comment on accuracy, but well done Racetec for getting them out same day.

Was a bit of a toughie.

What got my goat was watching my bunch steam away from me on the Nelsons Creek climb out of Wellington, and seeing some guy hanging onto his mate's car as it dragged him up the hill past all of us stragglers. Got his number though: 1A-549

Did he wear a blue kit and speak with an Italian accent? :ph34r:

Initial results out on Racetec.

Can't comment on accuracy, but well done Racetec for getting them out same day.

Accuracy is always a issue with racetec; I had to send them my garmin file for the west coast race to prove them wrong!!

Had a hot and windy ride from 4G.  Kept some in the tank for final 3-4 km as the legs were fading fast and next thing we turn to finish in 97.2km.  Bad communication by the Race officers, they were still announcing 101.6 km distance when we started.  

Wonder how many of the pro's and top riders were caught off-guard by the change in distance that never happened

Edited by Dragu

Was meant to start 2B but my lift over slept so landed up in 3A then to top it off I completely forgot my Racetec Chip. Submitted Garmin file so crossing fingers! 

Bit of drama in the beginning but had a lekker day in the saddle!

Was a bit of a toughie.

That is astanashing! :eek:

Did a 4:35 from 4D on my Anthem. Forced myself to take it slow the first half to not repeat last years suffer fest from Klapmuts onwards. Would like a word with the MC about his comment of "no wind to speak of" at the start.

Did a 4:35 from 4D on my Anthem. Forced myself to take it slow the first half to not repeat last years suffer fest from Klapmuts onwards. Would like a word with the MC about his comment of "no wind to speak of" at the start.

Ja, the wind was factor on the road to Franschhoek, specially if you start in the later batches where bunch riding is a foreign concept.  From Nelson's Creek it was more the heat.