Attakwas 2016

Jeanpg

Good morning,

So, some kind of crazy inspired me to enter for the Attakwas. Been putting in quite a bit of time on the bike. Getting quite excited.

On the other hand, the race sounds more "hardebaard" than I feel.

Any tips, tricks and advice would be appreciated for preparation, packing, training etc.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pace yourself from the beginning... true story

I have seen how my own friends try and aim for a time, go at a fast pace in the beginning and bomb out at 45km's, only to arrive 3hours after me at the finish line. Its a tough one but a proper MTB race.

Its a really awesome race, more than enough goods at the waterpoints, but the first time that I used Goo's closer to the end (which you will also get at the waterpoints)

Edited by Dominik

I've done 3 of them. None were faster than 8 hours, so I speak for the back half of the field:

1. Start off steady and don't get caught up in people in bunches going on the attack from km 1.

2. Carry enough water / race fuel for 2 to 3 hours (in hot conditions).

3. It works for me to have both water and race fuel on me. 8 hours (i.e. at least 8 litres) of race fuel will make your stomach turn.

4. Pack a sachet or 3 of rehidrate

5. Don't spend too much time at the water points. It gets harder to get back on if you linger too long.

6. Do not eat a Spur burger at the 3rd water point. The hill just after this particular water point is designed to rid you of your spur burger.

7. Stop and take pictures, particularly when you go through the Attakwas kloof.

8. Don't waste energy trying to pass riders off the racing line, particularly in the technical sections.

9. If you walk those nasty hills around WP2, get off the racing line. There are guys and girls who can ride them.

10. You can make up serious time in the last 40km if you are still reasonably fresh. It has been my strategy in all 3 races and it feels quite cool to reel in riders towards the end. It is also the only time where you can really benefit from the bunch, so make sure you can still sit on at this point. Those headwinds from the east can really make it a long lonely afternoon if you have burnt too many matches early on.

Do some big day out T.I.T.S rides on your roadie. 

Spending 6 hours in the saddle will be a good start to making sure you can still sit and smash out the last 45km of relatively flat district road and tar.

There is no substitute for hard work, so if you do the miles between now and new years, it will be a breeze.

good advise above,,start slow,,dont rush of the line.Ride 60% of normal pace until the spur stop about 50k in.Here the gravel-roads start, but beware there is some serious climbs ahead.

Do not waste time at the stops and pull a roady on the way home,,jump onto the bunches as they pass.There is usually a east wind on the last 50k to the finish.

I would love to break the bloody 7h I have done 2 in 7,06 well see you at the start. 

32 GI is the drink/gel sponsor so if you use that you wont need to carry a lot of supplies.

My first one, looking forward to it, fairly fit at the moment, so if I can keep away from the christmas pudding and beer this holiday and keep on training it might be ready for this one...

Hoping for a sub 7, will see on the day if it was a realistic goal  :whistling:

save some for the last 50kms....the race is far from over when you hit the district road..

This man knows. 

Going to be my first one also, been putting in a lot of hard mtb rides, BUT must still do a lot, I dont like to suffer tooo much on race day.

I'm looking for the route, not profile, thats on their website, would be nice to check it out on google earth.

If someone have a link or gps coordinates from pervious years.

Thanks and keep up with the hours of training!!!

Going to be my first one also, been putting in a lot of hard mtb rides, BUT must still do a lot, I dont like to suffer tooo much on race day.

I'm looking for the route, not profile, thats on their website, would be nice to check it out on google earth.

If someone have a link or gps coordinates from pervious years.

Thanks and keep up with the hours of training!!!

Hi Frohan, I don't think you ever suffered before ;)

I found these:

https://www.strava.com/segments/6481252

https://www.strava.com/segments/3292230

My second attempt. (Potentially the first finish though.)

Note to myself this time: Ride with a bib this time and arrive at the spur station without having sand/dust down my crack with an 'over the bar' tumble and slide on my back.

The resulting grinding paste literally brought me to a to grinding stop when you cross the tar road the second time. Could not sit for 3 days. Worst injury on a bike EVER :blush:  

Edited by Zatopek

He..he...I've seen in the past...the harder you train the harder you ride on race day...so theres never an easy ride!!!

Thanks for the route...Holy Moses...I thought its a straight or shortest route from start to finish....looks like a sightseeing one......now I understand why the easterly wind will make it difficult towards the end....!!

I've learnt that lesson with mud in the crack long ago....!!!!!

Ok, some more training then...holy shacks...now all of a sudden the training time is getting less and less!!!

Edited by Frohan

For those who have ridden the Atta a few times on average how many hours per week would you need to do to finish in say 7:30 to 8:00 hours?