Handlebar width 29er

JohanC

You are 100% correct. Just measured and its 90mm stem

Ok that sounds far more reasonable.

If the current reach feels ok do yourself a favor and make a simple drawing of your bar and stem set up viewed from above.

make sure you get the bar sweep, width and stem length to scale. 

then from the point where your hands contact the current bar, draw two an arc from each contact point. use a compass. Your kid should have one assuming they still use that stuff and not ProE at school.

AS you shorten the stem, you can extend the sweep of the bar til it contacts the arc.

this will give you an indication of what bar width will give you the same familiar feel for the corresponding stem length.

this saved me quite a lot of money in stem and handlebar purchases....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so I got the 780 bar and 60mm stem. Went for a ride at Meerendal on Saturday.

The combo felt nice on the first bit of uphill switchbacks. I did struggle to make the right turns on stairway to heaven though. Kept running wide . 

So, Do I learn to ride right hand switchbacks better or get a 50mm or 40mm Stem?

when i moved from 26er to 29er i almost always tended to understear through corners, I changed from 90mm to 50mm stem made the world of difference - My bars are 720.

My take is short stem wide bars give you far better control

• 9 months later...

Flat bars or mini rise bars?

depends on what stack you need. a riser bar is a more efficient way to achieve additional stack compared to under the stem spacers

I have 780mm/15mm riser bars on a 90mm stem on my XC bike... It is rad.

exactly the same for me on my XC bike now. Tried it with the 60mm and didn't like the way it felt going up. as mentioned already...it is a function of all day of comfort etc too for me. it is not a trail bike so I wont adhere to skewed bicycle fashion police advice lol. 

Edited by morneS555

exactly the same for me on my XC bike now. Tried it with the 60mm and didn't like the way it felt going up. as mentioned already...it is a function of all day of comfort etc too for me. it is not a trail bike so I wont adhere to skewed bicycle fashion police advice lol. 

Exactly... Getting my weight over the front wheel on steep punchy climbs while still having the leverage to crank and the control of wide bars.

What's not to like?