Trans Baviaans 2016

Joe Low

Have anyone tried importing the .gpx file into Garmin connect?

Downloaded the file unzipped it and when I import it into connect the route is not complete.

But if I import the same file into Google earth it seems to be fine.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just gone 1x11 34 front do i need to go down to a 32 front? this is my first time.

from what i can see its slight gradients 7-15% average, but long climbs.... im running 34 oval in front we should be ok... well can hope

Downloaded the file unzipped it and when I import it into connect the route is not complete.

I think there was one earlier on on this chat [emoji102]

I think there was one earlier on on this chat [emoji102]

Can't you copy it from Google maps?

Strava will always be out, especially if you are close to the edge of the mountain. It scrambles the signal. Ride the Argus and you will see that it is horribly wrong as well. Almost twice the amount of climb.

I've had some amazing elevation gains going over Chappies in the past.

Strava is usually only out if you use your cellphone or GPS that doesn't use a barometric altimeter. The new iPhones have a barometric altimeter, but I think Strava still ignores the altitudes reported.

If you use a Garmin Edge it takes the elevation the GPS reports.

I imported the provided gpx file into ridewithgps to share with my team mates, I also had to choose the correct track, you can download  this gpx file and import into your desired app. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/15548141

Edited by HermanMathee

I see TransBav organisers are making a bit of a mystery around CP 6.

No kms.... "Beware of the ghost"

Its been in the same place for years.

They can't put it on one of the downhills after the NeverEnder - that will just cause a crash.

So they'll probably put it at the top of a hill....which they've always done.

It probably has to be after the Y split to ensure cyclists stay on the route.

I wonder what the ghost is all about...  :huh:

post-33147-0-32280700-1470142630_thumb.gif

I see TransBav organisers are making a bit of a mystery around CP 6.
No kms.... "Beware of the ghost"

Its been in the same place for years.
They can't put it on one of the downhills after the NeverEnder - that will just cause a crash.
So they'll probably put it at the top of a hill....which they've always done.
It probably has to be after the Y split to ensure cyclists stay on the route.

I wonder what the ghost is all about...  :huh:

CP 6 is always a mystery. You're right - an unmanned point somewhere near the top of the NeverEnder (after the fork in the road). Usually on a k@k steep section!

Be careful your brains tired when you hit that point at night,,,some flashing red lights and that's it.

yes it's at the y split.

Getting really excited! Leaving for Gariepdam today in a week, after work, and then Willowmore from there the next day.

Aim is to finish before Saturday midnight (40 minutes faster than last year). Hoping for decent weather. Excited!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Injuries, work, team shuffle have made an impact...We will be 'lucky' to finish in 18 hours...

In the second race, my partner is not quite there yet and asked if we can do another long ride this coming Saturday(150-170) After these long ride his recovery is quite long. Is this the right thing to do now? Any advice please, I need to get this guy over the finish line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In the second race, my partner is not quite there yet and asked if we can do another long ride this coming Saturday(150-170) After these long ride his recovery is quite long. Is this the right thing to do now? Any advice please, I need to get this guy over the finish line.

No Idea, I did my 1st ride after 3 months off the bike and nearly died doing 75km. So next week should be interesting. Will do a long ride tomorrow and see how it goes.

Just make sure you go slow in the beginning. THAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING!

Edited by Dick

When I read things like this, I feel more under trained than ever.

And that equates to a certain amount of fear, if not terror...