Cycling retailers-constant let down.

Brickleberry

I've built a good relationship with my preferred shop here in DBN and I always give them the chance to match or get close to the prices of what I can get online, and many times they have been able to get very close to the online prices. 

I would rather pay them a R100 or so extra and wait a few days for stock to arrive, because when I need small stuff done or a last minute adjustment before an event, they ALWAYS accommodate me with no BS.

No online store is going to be able to change your cassette and make fine adjustments to your derailleur at the last minute...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've built a good relationship with my preferred shop here in DBN and I always give them the chance to match or get close to the prices of what I can get online, and many times they have been able to get very close to the online prices.

I would rather pay them a R100 or so extra and wait a few days for stock to arrive, because when I need small stuff done or a last minute adjustment before an event, they ALWAYS accommodate me with no BS.

No online store is going to be able to change your cassette and make fine adjustments to your derailleur at the last minute...

This!!!

A lot of the time my issue is more with the lack of service in the shops (I understand that stock levels gout and down) I am there and have made a choice to spend my money with you so please don't make me feel like you're doing me some big favour that you have something in stock.. and if you don't pls don't roll your eyes that you might need to find out when you'll get it back in stock. I get that 99% of shop workers in Cape Town are the new Sagan and having to work in a shop is holding them back from the next big thing. I'm not asking for a massage and you to fall at my feet but please remember 2 things (the incidentally yet new H&M store in CT has nailed): 

1 - Service doesn't mean servant. 

2 - If you're doing a job, try to be the best at it and enjoy it because 9 - 5 you're there and you can either approach it with a good attitude and as a professional or sook about. 

My issue is this...its difficult for a local bike shop to stock every concievable item, especially at the cost due to the fact the Rand is so weak in relation to every other currency. Added to that, some suppliers expect you to make an initial order at a very high cost, & maintain a certain monthly purchase amount. It costs a lot to stock a shop, & if its not stocked as per a customers expectations, said shop gets demolished via social media and other online avenues.

I always say, it would be good for every cyclist to actually work in a bike shop as a way to see how things happen behind the scenes...the irrational demands of difficult customers, the guy who walks in at five to 1 on a saturday and expects a tube changed, and then moans at the labour charge, oblivious to the fact he was unable to do it himself! (Something online cant offer) Added to that are the guys who will expect you to order an item, but will not commit to buying it, or refuse to give a deposit. Its a difficult game.

My issue is this...its difficult for a local bike shop to stock every concievable item, especially at the cost due to the fact the Rand is so weak in relation to every other currency. Added to that, some suppliers expect you to make an initial order at a very high cost, & maintain a certain monthly purchase amount. It costs a lot to stock a shop, & if its not stocked as per a customers expectations, said shop gets demolished via social media and other online avenues.

I always say, it would be good for every cyclist to actually work in a bike shop as a way to see how things happen behind the scenes...the irrational demands of difficult customers, the guy who walks in at five to 1 on a saturday and expects a tube changed, and then moans at the labour charge, oblivious to the fact he was unable to do it himself! (Something online cant offer) Added to that are the guys who will expect you to order an item, but will not commit to buying it, or refuse to give a deposit. Its a difficult game.

You sir, are a true gentleman.

Take note people. He makes an excellent point.

or you go the shop, they say we cannot beat online pricing. You go order it online and we will install it for you. 

the honesty, open card approach makes it all worth it. and you still keep going back because of good service.

I agree with most of whats being said and I had a similar rant a few weeks ago. It boils down to the value of a customer. How does a retailer treat every foot that comes through the door. I'll have and will pay a premium for good service, but if a shop does not value me as customer, then I won't value that business as a retailer. Most of us cyclists are a social bunch, we go to a store for more than just a new inner tube or R100k MTB. Its the simplicity and complexity of retail.

Coffee shop in a bike store, IMO the best innovation since the derailleur. You can make a life-time loyal customer for the mere price of a conversation or 2 and a latte....

For example....

"Sorry sir we are currently out of stock of that item, but grab a seat, have a coffee on us and I'll check to see how quickly I can get it for here you"....."BTW sir if it takes longer than 3 days to get that item, we'll give you 30% discount on your next service.....how good is that coffee?"

Here is a point of reality to consider too.

100 customers go into a shop.

98 come out with what they want or have ordered it, satisfied. TheHub never hears of this.

2 come out without what they wanted, unstafisfied. TheHub hears of it.

Went into a LBS this morning....got exactly what I wanted and great advice! I'm not being sarcastic either.

98 come out with what they want or have ordered it, satisfied. TheHub never hears of this.

People like to complain, I always try to let the manager or owner know when I got good service from a shop assistant.

This is very different to what I was moaning about.

LBS adapting to a changing market is different to consumers intentionally misusing a LBS dudes time.

In your comparison it would be like a person walking into a new car shop, taking the sales dudes time to explain, demo, test ride, decide options etc, the taking a copy of the OTP and ordering it online later after shopping for a place which would knock a few percent off.

LOL This is exactly what happens in reality. 

said on another thread

"on the Hub, facts are always straight"

I have only had horrible service at all the LBS I have tried. There is zero quality control and the mechanics really just don`t care about your bike at all. Better check that the rebound knob is attached to your shock after you get the bike back! Better do a thorough check on everything! Maybe this is not the case with Spez which I have not tried yet. I don`t know, it just seems that the mechanics at most LBS just don`t care about doing their job properly, most people probably don`t notice any issues with the bike after getting it back.

A lot of what is going on here is called Showrooming.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22098575

Good article from a couple of years ago.

When I was in college in the late 90's my professor spoke aboit people paying to enter physical stores to touch, see and try on.  People would then order online for the best deal.  We thought he was nuts but 17 years later that is almost a reality. 

How many online retailers do you run into on a Saturday morning that asks you if that setup they did last week is working for you?

How many online stores will quickly check out your bike at their stall before a big race when something goes wrong?

How many online retailers will let you borrow one of their bikes if they can't finish (insert job here) quick enough

It's that personal connection that I appreciate and can't be replaced by a reduced price