Let's share the road responsibly

News bot

As much as drivers need to be more cyclist-aware, follow road rules and drive safely, the same holds true for cyclists being responsible and considerate towards motorists “We have come up with some top tips to help cyclists and vehicle drivers avoid conflict on our roads,” explains Steve Hayward chairman of South Africa’s largest cycling organisation, the Pedal Power Association.

Click here to view the article

I keep hoping the PPA have a bold campaign that says something more like:

"Can you guess how many motorists were killed or maimed by cyclists riding into them this past year? Imagine, we could say the same thing the other way round! Please do your part!!!"

Rinse, repeat of the last pointers they put out!

2015? Reflectors on a bicycle???? Which manufacturers (other than the makro numbers) still sell bikes with reflectors!

2015? Reflectors on a bicycle???? Which manufacturers (other than the makro numbers) still sell bikes with reflectors!

most of them - its law in some countries. So when they ship, they ship with reflectors on.

most people remove them (and the spoke protector)

most of them - its law in some countries. So when they ship, they ship with reflectors on.

Eish, oh ja, the old legal angle No wonder they have to pay lip service to that!

Probably time that legislation gets updated to say reflector and\or visible lighting solution...

"Cyclists have a right to claim the lane" So I agree that this should be the case. But question: where do we stand with this from a legal point of view? As far as I am aware, there is nothing that specifically states this in the road traffic act. Is there case precedent for this?

Rode up Chappies on Saturday and saw about 10 cyclists wipe their collective arses on a request by the guy at the roadworks stopping point for the cars to go first. A little consideration from our side would go a long way...

And to the Mountain Bike guys in the east.  Please, think.  A RED traffic light does not mean you can carry on over the red light.  Saw two people yesterday skipping a red light down Lynnwood and then flipping off a car that had right of way to turn as well as a green light.

"Cyclists have a right to claim the lane" So I agree that this should be the case. But question: where do we stand with this from a legal point of view? As far as I am aware, there is nothing that specifically states this in the road traffic act. Is there case precedent for this?

Specifically a pedal cycle is a vehicle as defined in Act (NATIONAL ROAD TRAFFIC ACT 93 OF 1996) and as such is allowed to ride on the road. Other vehicles may only overtake where it is safe to do so, at a safe distance. Accordingly you don't need case law, every vehicle is entitled to a lane.

There is no mention in the national act of keeping far left or riding in the gutter, common sense dictates that it is sometimes safer to do so.

In the Western Cape the regulations were amended for cyclists to keep as far left as is safe to do at the same time the 1 metre passing law was introduced.  However after a couple of years not a single driver has been charged with contravening this regulation, never mind prosecuted and found guilty.

But it is the general rule of the the road that all vehicles must keep as far left as possible, so as not to obstruct the free flow of traffic.

This claiming a lane while on a bicycle sounds to me like a bit of darwinism at work...

Edited by RocknRolla

Yip , unboxed two new 650b Merida a while back and it took me more than a hour to take of all the reflector ligths  :eek: . And as far as I know I know it is Law in THIS country as well .

As much as drivers need to be more cyclist-aware, follow road rules and drive safely, the same holds true for cyclists being responsible and considerate towards motorists “We have come up with some top tips to help cyclists and vehicle drivers avoid conflict on our roads,” explains Steve Hayward chairman of South Africa’s largest cycling organisation, the Pedal Power Association.

Click here to view the article

That's good and I'm surprised this subject hasn't ever come up before on the Hub.

But it is the general rule of the the road that all vehicles must keep as far left as possible, so as not to obstruct the free flow of traffic.

This claiming a lane while on a bicycle sounds to me like a bit of darwinism at work...

Incorrect. There is nothing in the act about slow moving traffic, or any vehicle, keeping "as far left as possible". There is also no reference at all to obstruction of the free flow of traffic.  It is courteous not to obstruct traffic, not a legal requirement.

Edit: incorrect is one word.

Edited by carbon29er

Obstuction of the freeflow of traffic could be deemed as inconsiderate, therefore making it illegal unlawful.

Edited by RocknRolla

It's really quite annoying that ppa insists on educating cyclists around their rights.

The bigger impact Is from the unlawful ignorant motorists.

Wtf is educating those idiots???!!!!

Rode up Chappies on Saturday and saw about 10 cyclists wipe their collective arses on a request by the guy at the roadworks stopping point for the cars to go first. A little consideration from our side would go a long way...

I always let the cars go first up there.  I always grit my teeth when a car comes up behind me there because they always want to push past when there is only 10cm clearing distance...  Strava is auto paused anyway.

Plus, the cars always look happy when you wave them past while sitting on the side at the front.  Happy motorist, happy cyclist. 

It's really quite annoying that ppa insists on educating cyclists around their rights.

The bigger impact Is from the unlawful ignorant motorists.

Wtf is educating those idiots???!!!!

:blush: Seriaaas ?