Gordon's Bay to Hermanus and maybe onto Gansbaai

JKK

Strange that you mention sharks. The son of a friend of a friend was killed by a shark at Kogel Bay, a popular surfing spot along the route. The council now employs shark watchers to warn surfers and when I drove past there today, I took this picture.

post-10812-0-20855700-1449938673_thumb.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is such a cool route, but I would never contemplate doing it on my own.

That's true, lucky I can convince some okes often enough to ride with me. Our only close call was at the sasol at Betty's bay, some old man just pulled out without looking into the middle of 4 of us.

BUT you have to deal with hippies from Hout Bay and wannabe elites from Camps Bay [emoji13]

those wannabe elites only arrive from Jhb on the 16th ;)

Our local little bootlegger gets full of vaalies in the coming week.

those wannabe elites only arrive from Jhb on the 16th ;)

Our local little bootlegger gets full of vaalies in the coming week.

Only been living in JHB for 4 year, already a Vaalie? ????

I will not gamble my life on that route, another cyclist was killed on that route a couple months/weeks ago. Can't remember. We go diving/crayfishing at rooiels and all i can say is those roads does not have a shoulder every where and if a land cruiser with his 6m full hull boat that stands out past the cruiser comes past if he does not hit you you will crap yourself.

And that road is packet with cars/motorbikes/taxis/huge busses during the silly season. And people go braai and suip at koelbaai for the day and then they drive back again.

YOU WILL BE GAMBLING with your life, but hey its your life and if you have wife and kids i hope you some death policies so that they can easily find a replacement for you in the near future. (I am saying this in general and this is not pointed at anyone directly)

Just this past weekend when we were on the road driving (bakkie) to rooiels at 5am we got a pissed drunk guy which hit it 90s model pimped out corrola against the little wall on the side where there is a huge droppoff, luckily the wall kept him up and then the front tyre blew out so 50m further he stop his car. Brakes was gone se he let it run back against the wall so that it stops and he was walking back to gordons bay.

Car in the middle of the road on a blind corner, now imagine what will a guy choose if he comes around at the allowed speed and he sees either a car which he wil hit endangering him and his family/friends or swerve to the wall hoping it will hold his weight and again endangering him or will he opt for the cyclist minding his own business law abiding and the driver knows they are save in the bakkie?

Yeah yeah i know you can break your neck getting out of bed, but alas natural selection exists and if you want be a darwin member go for it.

Since the Strava age, I have ridden that road at least 83 times and while I've had a few close calls with motorists, I don't perceive it to be any more dangerous than any of the other routes I ride. In fact, the general behaviour of motorists is way above average - maybe because of the amazing scenery, or maybe because it's too twisty and turny to drive like a maniac. Anecdotal evidence aside, the coast road is a rather safe place for cyclists.

It's far more dodgy riding through Strand, past the Mall, and in Somerset West.

I did the route from Kleinmond in my car this afternoon (yes it is useless info, but it what I saw confirmed my views) and I have cycled the route from Stellenbosch to Onrus earlier this year.

The Gordons Bay Rooiels section, Clarence Drive was OK. There is more space for cyclists on the mountain side than on the sea side, the mountain side has a wider yellow line section, so if you have a choice go Gordons Bay Kleinmond and not the other way. It still is narrow and there always is a risk when you drive in traffic, but I will do it again.

From Kleinmond along  the R 44 is a yellow line and a shoulder. The R 43 (Botriver to Hermanus also have a yellow line and shoulder and you will see many cyclists during the holidays. From the entrance to Fisherhaven there is a foot path / single track all the way to Onrus, it runs to the west of the R 43. Lekker to ride.

Then I have also done the Hermanus to Stanford section on more than one occasion. There is no shoulder and I ride on the gravel verge. Again there is a risk of harm, there always is, but your stars would have to be seriously out of line. 

If you want to do low risk rides in the Hermanus area, do the single tracks in Hemel & Aarde, get info and permits at the cycle shop at the entrance to the valley at Sandbaai. Ignore the strange attitude of the staff there. (Yes I hope the fools read this, friendliness costs nothing and might just bring more return business). But talking of risk and fools: I broke my thumb on that single track.

Agreed.  Hermanus to Stanford over xmas/nye on a road bike is simply nuts, as there's nowhere to hide and the okes drive wayyyy too fast.

Which of these two are most scenic and which is safest.?

Hermanus to kleinmond and back.

Or

Hermanus to Gansbaai and back.

Or is there a better alternative for a quick 70/80km ride from Hermanus?

Or

As said before in this thread by someone else, the road from Hermanus to Gansbaai has no shoulder and its a 100km/h zone without cameras. The safer option in my mind would be the Kleinmond route.

As said before in this thread by someone else, the road from Hermanus to Gansbaai has no shoulder and its a 100km/h zone without cameras. The safer option in my mind would be the Kleinmond route.

Thanks

Or

Or you could head out towards Kleinmond but not take the turn. Keep going till you get to the N2 and go up and over the pass to the HouwHoek Farm stall. Best chocolate brownies in the country.

Or

I'm a local Gansbaaier and have done Gansbaai to Hermanus and back to Gansbaai twice... BUT on a MTB on the gravel alongside the road. Definitely not for a roadie.

Seen a lot of guys (roadies) doing from Hermanus to Kleinmond and back.  

Happy cycling and be safe on the road. 

I'm a local Gansbaaier and have done Gansbaai to Hermanus and back to Gansbaai twice... BUT on a MTB on the gravel alongside the road. Definitely not for a roadie.

Seen a lot of guys (roadies) doing from Hermanus to Kleinmond and back.

Happy cycling and be safe on the road.

Thanks, i'll be on the road bike so Kleinmond it is!

This past Saturday I saw about 5 or 6 cyclists on mountain bikes on the Stanford to Gansbaai road. It was raining at the time and being weekend just before Christmas, the roads were fairly busy. But this group of airheads were happily cycling on the tar (narrow road, no shoulder) while there is a perfectly rideable gravel verge two feet to their left. I am always amazed to see people on mtb's cycling on tar when there is an imminently (gr and sp?) rideable gravel option. The cyclist who made up the tail of this party was about 2 meters from the edge of the tar and was struggling  to keep a straight line.

Another option for roadies is to go up the Hemel & Aarde Valley, they are/were busy tarring the road up to Shaw's Pass, but the construction co went belly up and the work is not completed but you can add a good few km's including a nice steep climb on the tar. If you are on a mtb you can add a lot more kilo's by going east at the foot of Shaw's, lots of rolling hills and a lekke area to explore. 

Archived