Aaron Gwin and Specialized Part Ways - Here's Why

KingTJ

So he'll be an American on a German bike with a German car an Austrian motorbike and drinking Austrian energy juice?

Sounds like he's pissed off enough guys his side of the Atlantic

Pretty much, yeah. Nothing wrong with being paid a fair salary but again I think he has overvalued himself and his worth and his past history on this doesn't sit well with most.

So he'll be an American on a German bike with a German car an Austrian motorbike and drinking Austrian energy juice?

golden_calf_dollar.jpg

Bwaaahaaa ^^^^^^^ This is pretty spot on. Maybe Gwin needs to be paying better attention to what the bible says concerning the love of money and being a good employee. He keeps talking about how important his faith is but when he does stuff like this it gets especially hard to believe he is actually serious about it. Unless of course he happens to be a believer in the prosperity gospel (believe in Jesus and God will make you rich) which would make some sense of his greediness.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to be a fan of Gwin, but I've been disillusioned by his actions the last couple of weeks.

Flip, I silently hope he gets a humbling ass whooping this year.

I like a humble hero, even one with flair and a lekker style, but what Gwin did reminds me too much of football player's love of money. Nee meneer, nie gees nie.

I used to be a fan of Gwin, but I've been disillusioned by his actions the last couple of weeks.

Flip, I silently hope he gets a humbling ass whooping this year.

I like a humble hero, even one with flair and a lekker style, but what Gwin did reminds me too much of football player's love of money. Nee meneer, nie gees nie.

100%

Pretty much, yeah. Nothing wrong with being paid a fair salary but again I think he has overvalued himself and his worth and his past history on this doesn't sit well with most.

Bwaaahaaa ^^^^^^^ This is pretty spot on. Maybe Gwin needs to be paying better attention to what the bible says concerning the love of money and being a good employee. He keeps talking about how important his faith is but when he does stuff like this it gets especially hard to believe he is actually serious about it. Unless of course he happens to be a believer in the prosperity gospel (believe in Jesus and God will make you rich) which would make some sense of his greediness.

not sure bout the religious limitations on getting rich, or making hay while the sun shines ;), but I think he knows the value of striking now while he is still pretty much able-bodied. From previous interviews, it was clear that he was really struggling trying to make it big in MX. He kept crashing and getting himself all broken. It cost serious $$$. So he moved to DH, and started killing it from year-0.

If you had that sort of experience, as he did with MX,and you were top of the pile in your new sport, and because of that success you find yourself with leverage into some deep wallets, what would you do?

Look at Sam Hill: one major crash, and it seems the mojo has gone (I still think that Sam Hill on his semi-best would crush Gwin on his best).

not sure bout the religious limitations on getting rich, or making hay while the sun shines ;), but I think he knows the value of striking now while he is still pretty much able-bodied. From previous interviews, it was clear that he was really struggling trying to make it big in MX. He kept crashing and getting himself all broken. It cost serious $$$. So he moved to DH, and started killing it from year-0.

If you had that sort of experience, as he did with MX,and you were top of the pile in your new sport, and because of that success you find yourself with leverage into some deep wallets, what would you do?

Look at Sam Hill: one major crash, and it seems the mojo has gone (I still think that Sam Hill on his semi-best would crush Gwin on his best).

The religious angle is pretty much get yourself a fair salary but don't be a greedy gut and use what you receive wisely.

But ja I agree. Gwin is a terrific racer and definitely the major star. His record is statistically better (win ratio) than Minnaar in about half the time so it stands to reason that Gwin deserves a high salary/sponsorship deal. However for Spez to turn him down the way they did indicates that he felt that he was worth far more than what cam be expected realistically. Even with the rumored sponsors I am not sure that Gwin would be getting 100% what he had tried to negotiate with Spez, with the bulk of the money coming from Audi, KTM and Red Bull.

The religious angle is pretty much get yourself a fair salary but don't be a greedy gut and use what you receive wisely.

But ja I agree. Gwin is a terrific racer and definitely the major star. His record is statistically better (win ratio) than Minnaar in about half the time so it stands to reason that Gwin deserves a high salary/sponsorship deal. However for Spez to turn him down the way they did indicates that he felt that he was worth far more than what cam be expected realistically. Even with the rumored sponsors I am not sure that Gwin would be getting 100% what he had tried to negotiate with Spez, with the bulk of the money coming from Audi, KTM and Red Bull.

my 2c theory is that he argued his way out of the spesh deal, deliberately. Spesh is going all in: bike, clothing etc. It's a value option for Spesh, but might mean a lot less for the rider him/her-self in terms of $$$ earnings.

With separate sponsors, each agreement stands on its own, as each sponsor is eager to feature as distinct from the others as possible. A good manager will sort that out for you the rider properly. Same way Brownie is doing it for the Athertons.

AG is disliked for one reason, the way in which he conducts himself. No need over think it.

The punch-me face goes a long way too

my 2c theory is that he argued his way out of the spesh deal, deliberately. Spesh is going all in: bike, clothing etc. It's a value option for Spesh, but might mean a lot less for the rider him/her-self in terms of $$$ earnings.

With separate sponsors, each agreement stands on its own, as each sponsor is eager to feature as distinct from the others as possible. A good manager will sort that out for you the rider properly. Same way Brownie is doing it for the Athertons.

Again I agree, however another significant difference is in the way that media is handled. None to sure if Atherton Racing has a PR manager or if the Syndicate has one either but the way that Gee, Rachel, Peat, Greg and the Rat interact with the media is a lot more professional and slick as opposed to how Gwin does it.

And as for the whole kit conundrum I think the way that the Syndicate handled it is instructive. Fairly sure that Greg and the Rat has different sponsors which was a part of why their kit was somewhat, but not entirely, different and hence the non-trade team status. One gets the feeling that Gwin had he truly wanted to could've convinced Spez to do the same for him and Troy but instead we're sitting and debating his new team and potential new sponsorships. And again I wonder, despite Gwin having potentially sound reasons to leave Spez, whether or not it his choices wasn't actually merely motivated by greed.

The punch-me face goes a long way too

Well when Tahnee Seagrave was given the choices of marry, snog or avoid out of Gwin, Hart and the Rat she choose Gwin for marry. My opinion of her has dropped a little I must say and I am sure our fellow hubber Stretch is equally disappointed with that statement from her.

Well when Tahnee Seagrave was given the choices of marry, snog or avoid out of Gwin, Hart and the Rat she choose Gwin for marry. My opinion of her has dropped a little I must say and I am sure our fellow hubber Stretch is equally disappointed with that statement from her.

I saw that... I think she was being diplomatic.... Or she has seen the paycheck

I saw that... I think she was being diplomatic.... Or she has seen the paycheck

[emoji38] I like these theories of yours but I also like to think if they swapped out Hart for Bruni, Tahnee would've chosen Bruni for marry. I mean he is a good looking lad, with brains and oodles of talent to spare (more so than Gwin imho). And just imagine how good looking and talented their off spring would be.

I think it's like kp in cricket. No matter how good you are, if you behave like a chop the whole time eventually you get chucked out.

[emoji38] I like these theories of yours but I also like to think if they swapped out Hart for Bruni, Tahnee would've chosen Bruni for marry. I mean he is a good looking lad, with brains and oodles of talent to spare (more so than Gwin imho). And just imagine how good looking and talented their off spring would be.

Nah, the real game is Marry Shag Kill. Methinks she'd have still chosen Greg for marry, but Loic for shag... 

what statement?

I am extremely happy that Loic Bruni is now a specialized rider.  Was torn last year as I wanted him to Loic because he just seems such a nice guy and I like the way he rides, but I also wanted Gwin to win because I am a Specialized fan. 

This year, I will be supporting Greg (obviously) as my no1 choice and Loic as my number 2 choice.

Can't wait.

what statement?

That given those three guys (Gwin, Hart, the Rat) to marry/snog/avoid she would choose to marry Gwin.

Archived