Need help choosing a MTB

kOOsi3

Hi! All

Im new to the MTB scene and only recently purchased a pre-owned silverback saturn for recreational riding. Having said that, i realised how fun it is riding some trails and XC. Im hooked and really want to get into the sport not so much for comps but for myself and my health. I want to save up for a decent 29" hard tail and have been looking around. My budget is maximum R15000 (which is a bit steep) and have been looking at the following bikes:

Scott scale 960 2015 (R11999 vbike)

Scott scale 950 2015 (14999 vbike)

Merida big 9 500 (R13500)

Momsen AL329

Titan elite 29er (14999)

All has got air suspension which i was told is much better than hydraulic. Scott seems to win the race when talking to bike shop employees. I would appreciate your opinions. Thanks

depending on the size you need I might have a bargain for you at R15k...

Would this bike be something that would tick all the boxes?

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/127881-2015-silverback-sola-1-used/

Got nice fork, XT/SLX components and falls in my price range.

The only potential issue with this is the wheels (specifically the rims) - The Crests have an upper limit of around 90 kgs. Most folks on here will recommend staying away from crests if you are above 85 kgs or so - and I mention this since this is a large frame. So if you're not too heavy, make sure to have a look at the wheels when buying.

I'm not sure why they don't fit Arch EX rims to the large and XL versions of this bike as stock actually.... would make much more sense.

Edit: you may be able to get a new version of this bike at a similar price - I see it's a 2015 model so is last year's bike. You could also then ask for the Arch EX wheels instead of Crests as they are virtually the same price.

Just bought a 2014 Silverback Sola 1 off Gumtree for 12k. Incredible deal at the price.

As noted the rims may be on the weaker side, but for a beginner, I am sure they are fine. One can change to Arch EX rims in time.

Otherwise the rest of the components and the frame are the puppies nuts.

The cranks are decent SLX, gears XT, and the frame is light and not too aggressive. I used to have a Giant XTC and mates have the racing Scott, but those bikes tend to have really steep head-angles and supper rigid rear-triangles. All good if you racing, but for normal riding it leads to a twitchy bike that transmits every bump into your bottom and hands.

The only potential issue with this is the wheels (specifically the rims) - The Crests have an upper limit of around 90 kgs. Most folks on here will recommend staying away from crests if you are above 85 kgs or so - and I mention this since this is a large frame. So if you're not too heavy, make sure to have a look at the wheels when buying.

I'm not sure why they don't fit Arch EX rims to the large and XL versions of this bike as stock actually.... would make much more sense.

Edit: you may be able to get a new version of this bike at a similar price - I see it's a 2015 model so is last year's bike. You could also then ask for the Arch EX wheels instead of Crests as they are virtually the same price.

Just bought a 2014 Silverback Sola 1 off Gumtree for 12k. Incredible deal at the price.

As noted the rims may be on the weaker side, but for a beginner, I am sure they are fine. One can change to Arch EX rims in time.

Otherwise the rest of the components and the frame are the puppies nuts.

The cranks are decent SLX, gears XT, and the frame is light and not too aggressive. I used to have a Giant XTC and mates have the racing Scott, but those bikes tend to have really steep head-angles and supper rigid rear-triangles. All good if you racing, but for normal riding it leads to a twitchy bike that transmits every bump into your bottom and hands.

I am about 1.84m at 94kg and am also wondering about if I should rather opt for an XL frame. I currently have a Silverback Saturn XL but i'm not fully comfortable with it. My back tends to get sore after some steep climbing and it feels like my weight is resting a lot on my handlebars which causes my hands to get numb easily (maybe my saddle is too high, but then again, lowering it feels awkward). I think I need to go for a proper bike fitting at a decent shop. Is it better to be at the maximum size for a L frame then to be at the minimum size for an XL frame?

I've been introduced to Silverback by my local bike shop owner here in Gansbaai and he speaks highly of the brand, especially because of the value for money.

I'm so glad I'm learning from all your replies, never could've thought that the rims would also come into play regarding weigh etc. Thanks, I'm patiently awaiting the right bike to make it's way onto the classifieds.

Bike fit would do you good.

Numb hands can be several things. Your seat forward/aft position might be out, your handlebar might simply be too low, seat could be too high...

Get a pro fit done. I struggled with knee pain and it sorted me out. A colleague of mine struggled with lower back pain and a fit sorted him out.

At 184 a large should be perfect. Most large frames cater for up to about 187 or 190 cm even.

I think it's probably setup related. Bike fit can help

So this bike came across as a possible buy. It falls in my budget and the bike is about 1 year old. Here's a few details:

Niner Carbon Air 9 XL frame

Roval alu rims, Spez ground control & maxxis tyres
Spez 100mm stem and alu handlebar
Shimano XT brieke en rotors
SRAM x7 shifters 2x10
Shimano XT front derailleur
SRAM x9 type 2 read derailleur
SRAM casette & chain
Niner carbon seatpost
Spez phenom 143mm saal
Shimano XT pedals SPD
Rock Shox Reba fork met lockout
SRAM XX crankset 175mm 39/26T

It has mostly been used on the road and some jeep track and hardly for trails seeing that the seller has a DS as well. It really looks like a good deal compared to the Sola 1 I mentioned previously. Thanks in advance.

Don't buy a XL, you're too short for it.

The Sola 1 is an awesome bike, but you would probably need to get different wheels or ride fluently and not tank through rock gardens with those rims.

Sore back is setup related, and most likely because you have to reach too much to reach the handlebars because it's too large for you..

Also check the size guide of each brand. The top tube length is the important one.

Some brands differ by up to 10mm for the same size (Large). Silverback is usually higher in my experience.

I have had different brands, and for all of them a Large worked perfectly, hardtail and dual.

XT and SLX also a good mix. If you can have SLX brakes on there too at least, then that is a big bonus. XT and SLX just works... Take my word for it. And easy to service and adjust yourself. Things like brake pads, derailleurs, etc.

Get the right size, the right saddle and best bike you can afford, and you will have endless hours of fun!

Nothing wrong with a hardtail! I have a duallie, but as I become stronger and more racey, I sometimes wish I had a hardtail.

Good luck with the decision!

Thanks dee_biker for the advice. If the rims are not so great on the sola 1, what would a good replacement be taking in consideration my weight at about 94kg. 

Like many have said, the ZTR Arches would be perfect for you. I had the Crests on my Momsen and even at 76kg found them too light for me, had to straiten them every other week.

They are fantastic rims, but do not like hard berms, jumps and rock gardens... Even some second hands wheels like Giant P-XC (not sure of the name) would be better. Not as light, but will be fine as a start. Some people are very critical of the Giant wheels, but I have had my P-XCR1 wheels (on my Anthem) now for 13000km (including rock gardens, downhills and even some air-time) without any issues.

Save up, and later get one of these crazy Arch-Hope-specials. They are the ultimate affordable combination in my opinion.

Something like this:

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/ztr-29r-arch-exhope-wheelset

But get into it first before you start spending big bucks... MTB components upgrading can be a bottomless pit... BEWARE!!! Hhehehehheee... (experience)

So this bike came across as a possible buy. It falls in my budget and the bike is about 1 year old. Here's a few details:

Niner Carbon Air 9 XL frame

Roval alu rims, Spez ground control & maxxis tyres[/size]Spez 100mm stem and alu handlebar[/size]Shimano XT brieke en rotors[/size]SRAM x7 shifters 2x10[/size]Shimano XT front derailleur[/size]SRAM x9 type 2 read derailleur[/size]SRAM casette & chain[/size]Niner carbon seatpost[/size]Spez phenom 143mm saal[/size]Shimano XT pedals SPD[/size]Rock Shox Reba fork met lockout[/size]SRAM XX crankset 175mm 39/26T[/size]

It has mostly been used on the road and some jeep track and hardly for trails seeing that the seller has a DS as well. It really looks like a good deal compared to the Sola 1 I mentioned previously. Thanks in advance.

This is a good buy if you were 194cm like me .You can buy the bike and sell the frame to me ?

Ok, so I came across a few adverts for bikes in my budget and my frame size. I would like your opinions if you would be so kind as to share with me.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/173375-gt-zaskar/

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/169496-focus-blackforest-2015-large-r13-500-neg/ (don't know the brand and how it compares to the bigger brands)

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/173242-cannondale-f29-lefty-29-mountain-bike/

Patiently waiting your replies, thanks!

Archived