Touring suggestion?

Sepia

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see you have a GT Sensor, I have the same bike and have struggled to find a framebag that fits. Would you be able to share your design with me or alternatively, provide details of the manufacturer you mention?

Mariarty the bag on my bike is one that I made myself. I'm busy working on a prototype with some improvements and will let you know when I have one for testing

Edited by GingNinj

Gents doing the Berg100 tour:

1. where do you plan to stay in Himeville, and

2. From Himeville, where do you plan to sleep / stay over on the Sunday?

I ask these things because I don't own a single piece of camping gear. If I can make the tour I would need to find a B&B to stay at. Himeville is not an issue as the Wheelers have a B&B near the finish of the race. the following night (Sunday) is an issue for me.

On Monday where do you plan to end? I will need to wait for my ride back to Durban so somewhere with a restaurant would be nice as it will help kill the time.

Gonna battle to keep up with you if you using that setup... thought you ride a single speed!?  :blush:

I barely ride a SS when it's unladen... add bags - I need gears.

I ask these things because I don't own a single piece of camping gear. If I can make the tour I would need to find a B&B to stay at. Himeville is not an issue as the Wheelers have a B&B near the finish of the race. the following night (Sunday) is an issue for me.

On Monday where do you plan to end? I will need to wait for my ride back to Durban so somewhere with a restaurant would be nice as it will help kill the time.

1. There's lekker tree close to the pub...

2. There'll be trees between Himeville and PMB...

You can hang out in the pool at my place for your lift to collect you.

Sorted.

Was thinking Goxhill trout lodge in himeville (http://goxhilltroutlodge.co.za/accommodation/) and  Mount Park guest camp in the Darge area (http://www.mountpark.co.za/) finish in PMB at Cascades. Both spots offer beds and you cando afew laps around cascads while you wait for your lift  :blush:

Edited by GingNinj

For anyone who might have missed it or joined this thread since i last posted it...

We doing a 300km week end trip Pta/Rust/Mag/Pta next week end, 4-6 March, Bike Packing

At the moment it came out at R300?

Easy to extend the body and the price may change due to fabric choice,

What size did you have in mind?

I'm willing to be a guinea pig tester for the product. Do AR which often means +24hr legs on the bike with lots of gear, so anything that can be quickly taken out of the back pack is great.

I'm willing to be a guinea pig tester for the product. Do AR which often means +24hr legs on the bike with lots of gear, so anything that can be quickly taken out of the back pack is great.

Thanks Birdie. 

At the moment the current pack is 114gms heavier than the Apidura but the lighter fabric I have in mind is more than acceptable resulting in a comparable weight.

As you know with these bags, they have to be packed accordingly and there is no way you can scramble around in them to a certain degree.  They are minimalistic bags which carry the essentials and not lots of gear - 11 liters. But you are very much aware of this. As you say, a back pack would be better suited?  The idea is to use this bag to help get weight off your back - I am sure you will concur? 

Or am I missing the point?

Edited by Sepia

PM sent

Sepia

... Diy attempt no. 1...

Bit short, but sleeping bag and tent is in there...

attachicon.gifDSC_0029.JPG

Right, firstly, you should change your job.  You seem to be pretty proficient in needlework!

Jokes aside.  Very good job.  

If I may......prefer to lift it higher on the seat post with a single tie around the post??

Not a bit wide about the base?  Will this not chafe?  See you have the straps right - I am still at it.

What size is that?  Not 11 liters I tell you.

But yes, you have the touch and I am sure you would be ok on the ride. 

Put a piece of rubber tube around the seat tube for stability and protection?

Edited by Sepia