Sepia

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

*** man... Where do you hear such rumours!  :whistling:

Not rumours I tell you!

@Ryan, I have the first prototype based on the Apidura coming off line tomorrow.

In your travels, I would appreciate it if you are able to give it a good thorough testing prior to making changes and producing more? 

I will run it by CroMo prior to dispatching it off to you.

Your suggestions and advice in this regard will be appreciated.

This thread has my full attention! I am also in KZN and I want in. I have been preparing for a trip (with no immediate destination) for a long time.  Have bike, have gear, will travel. Once I get the hang of this with few local trips, then I'm cycling to Cape Town.  Then Vietnam top to bottom, then Prague to Berlin. Then ......

Not rumours I tell you!

@Ryan, I have the first prototype based on the Apidura coming off line tomorrow.

In your travels, I would appreciate it if you are able to give it a good thorough testing prior to making changes and producing more? 

I will run it by CroMo prior to dispatching it off to you.

Your suggestions and advice in this regard will be appreciated.

Deal. Transdrak coming up (but I think that's supported so probably won't need it there). Have a tour lined up with Ging so can try it then.

how many volunteers do you need to be testers? I could help test in under "real ride" conditions.... first at S2C and then munga :clap:

how many volunteers do you need to be testers? I could help test in under "real ride" conditions.... first at S2C and then munga :clap:

If you're carrying a bag like this in S2C then frankly, you're doing it wrong...

@ryan,monark,kenG and anyone else interested in doing a return bikepack ride from the berg100.

Any ideas/preference on a preferred return route back to PMB from Himeville? Found a spot in Himeville (Goxhill trout lodge) which has camping and self catering. A thought I had was to head across to the Dargle area (Mount Park guest camp) via Compensation/Impendle to avoid riding the same route as the berg100.I haven't ridden in the area before and this shortest route from Himeville to Dargle (around 77 km) goes through a fair amount of townships. Anyone had experience riding in the area or thoughts on alternative routes?

is your real name Bear Gr.... :ph34r:

With my fitness level I need to keep weight down to a bare minimum so I can get from point A to point B :lol:

Think so?

I have my sea going ticket and passed my Nav exam at Granger Bay.

Still can't read the GPS correctly. *** teacher or student, maybe both.

Sometimes I might as well not have it.

There you are then........

what ticket? Day skipper doesn't really need much map work, but coastals and above you start doing dead reckoning, back bearings,etc .. And then unsighted using gps.

But seriously good maps with roads on them and a cateye is not rocket surgery.

This is not directed at you but organising adventure races means throwing people nav curve balls. In general most of the time people get lost because they rush decisions and don't stop and think logically.

what ticket? Day skipper doesn't really need much map work, but coastals and above you start doing dead reckoning, back bearings,etc .. And then unsighted using gps.

But seriously good maps with roads on them and a cateye is not rocket surgery.

This is not directed at you but organising adventure races means throwing people nav curve balls. In general most of the time people get lost because they rush decisions and don't stop and think logically.

Off shore Master, prior to the invention of GPS.

I am unable to understand, how to work the new fangled GPS/computer thing a my bobs.

Calculators were not allowed in my time.

Off shore Master, prior to the invention of GPS.

I am unable to understand, how to work the new fangled GPS/computer thing a my bobs.

Calculators were not allowed in my time.

much respect, but surely you have then mastered celestial navigation. Forget gps; maps, compass and a cyclocomputer should keep you on the right track? I'd you're able to use the Bikehub, a bike computer can't be too much of a stretch.

Short of bringing the sextant of course.

@ryan,monark,kenG and anyone else interested in doing a return bikepack ride from the berg100.

Any ideas/preference on a preferred return route back to PMB from Himeville? Found a spot in Himeville (Goxhill trout lodge) which has camping and self catering. A thought I had was to head across to the Dargle area (Mount Park guest camp) via Compensation/Impendle to avoid riding the same route as the berg100.I haven't ridden in the area before and this shortest route from Himeville to Dargle (around 77 km) goes through a fair amount of townships. Anyone had experience riding in the area or thoughts on alternative routes?

I'm assuming you're refering to the leaving Himeville (away from Underberg) on the Lotheni Rd then turning right onto Stoffelton Rd towards St Augustine Church, via Compensation and Impendle and into the Dargle?...

I really don't know what it's like through Compensation and Impendle... look slike ones goes right through both these townships. Soon after Impendle that road turns to tar and becomes a very nice, quiet country road that pops out just below Piggly Wiggly... the concern then would be the R103. By the time we're there it will be busy.

An option is to peal of the Dargle Rd prior to getting to the R103 via Pertus Stroom/ Midmar and cross the R103 lower down and closer to Howick... then via Cedara home to PMB...

I get bleak when you guys are discussing routes etc and I am stuck at work....

Please stop.

Please... I know you have a laptop at that desk... and Google Earth...  ^_^

This sounds awesome but I fear that I wont have the legs after Berg100 to then tour for two more days... argh...

The route sounds awesome but those informal settlements are problematic