Touring suggestion?

Sepia

naa, just doing things under ride conditions. also looking at "testing" a garmin etrex to see how it performs, in terms of following a route, sweaty fingers etc.

S2c wil be the only official "race" I will do before december

Slowbee, recently got the Etrex 30 x, great piece of kit. No touch screen, so don't need to worry about using with gloves. Just trying to find a bike mount for it.  

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Slowbee, recently got the Etrex 30 x, great piece of kit. No touch screen, so don't need to worry about using with gloves. Just trying to find a bike mount for it.  

without looking it up - can you use batteries for the unit, or USB charging ?

there are lots of options, but the problem is the bike mount - always the darn bike mount.

Hi guys,

I'm going to be doing an unsupported 3 day bikepacking ride at a leisurely pace in the PMB area from he 19-21st of March and would like to extend the invite to anyone who would be keen to join. The majority of the route will be on dirt and I will be camping for the two nights Summary of the route is as follows: PMB-Karkloof-Nottingham Road-PMB. . 

Day 1 (19 March): Cascades parking lot - Bushwillow Caravan park (~60 km)

Day 2: (20 March): Bushwillow Caravan Park - Glensheiling Caravan park (~53 km)

Day 3: (21 March): Glensheiling caravan park - Cascades parking lot (~68 km)

Give me a shout if you keen to join and I will send you a copy of planned route

Justin

Justin:

This trip still on?

Hi Andre,

We are postponing this trip for now. It clashes with the berg100 and there are a few guys doing the berg100 who would like to do the route so we will do it over a long weekend later in the year. Instead we are going to be bikepacking back to PMB after the berg100. Some of us are not racing the berg100 (myself included) but will be doing a  'casual' ride from notties-himeville on the same day as the berg100 and meet up with the racing snakes there. There are also some people who are also keen to get dropped off in himeville and just do the bikepacking leg back to PMB.

The plan is:

Day 1: Notties-himeville (~100km)

Day 2: Himeville Dargle (~78 km)

Day 3: Dargle-PMB. (~76 km)

Just an update on the saddle bags.......Got the first one back from the factory last week. I am not too happy with it in its present state and they will do the changes for me this week. Mostly, it requires stronger straps and double stitching with double fabric where it rests on the seat post. All in all it looks promising and will weigh and post pics when I am satisfied. Not much heavier than the Apidura at this stage.

Edited by Sepia

Sepia I'm happy to pay for one of the prototypes and test it (this way you are not out of pocket)

Very good of you. Would prefer the bag to be up to standard though. When do you want a bag? Could get them to double up on production after corrections but that does mean untested" Would very much prefer to take a sample for a preliminary test first.

Very good of you. Would prefer the bag to be up to standard though. When do you want a bag? Could get them to double up on production after corrections but that does mean untested" Would very much prefer to take a sample for a preliminary test first.

Planning to try one during our trip end March if you think you'll have one you're happy with by then.

Received the bags back from the manufacturer.

I think I overdid the fabric because it is too strong?(Ripstop)  Weight and cost could be dropped if a lighter fabric is used?  Did not compromise on the straps though.  11ltrs (same as the Apidura Compact)  Reinforced stitching and double up on wear points.

Now to test it.

post-19902-0-16700800-1455895025_thumb.jpg

post-19902-0-88166800-1455895048_thumb.jpg

post-19902-0-50618700-1455895061_thumb.jpg