Bike Hub weight loss challenge 2016

Bikehub weight loss competition  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in participating in a weight loss competition

• Yes
    • Perhaps
    • Where's my cake?

and i've walked into my folks and the menu today is soo good seeing that its my dads bday is - Curry n Roti, Mulva pudding, chocolate cake... controlling myself soo far.

Aaarrrggghhhh hard core! Keep it up, it will be worth while, think of all the hills you are going to cruise up without the extra weight, stay strong.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaarrrggghhhh hard core! Keep it up, it will be worth while, think of all the hills you are going to cruise up without the extra weight, stay strong.

shot. yip staying far away from all of this today.

the guy in the video makes sense...

cut out the junk..we know what is wrong...but after a ride or when the food comes out the oven and you smell that leka koek...i get weak...very weak.

you can carbo load with many different food options...but are they the right fuel to keep you healthy and get the results.

did i hear him say eat more...yip...the harder you work the more you eat/fuel...however... if for some reason you drop from cycling 500 km a week down to 50 km a week you would need to reduce the quantity of food/fuel...eat less

i see a guy who goes to gym where i go shopping...the lad "had" a body many of us would want...he still wears the tight shirts...however i havent seen him that much lately...but what i have noticed is it seems he cant be working out as much... he must be fueling the same now as he was while going to gym every day...his stomach is almost as big as mine now...the definition in his arms are now more like like my legs looked when i started cycling...i see this happen to often.

Edited by isetech

the guy in the video makes sense...

cut out the junk..we know what is wrong...but after a ride or when the food comes out the oven and you smell that leka koek...i get weak...very weak. 

you can carbo load with many different food options...but are they the right fuel to keep you healthy and get the results.

did i see hear him say eat more...yip...the harder you work the more you eat/fuel...however... if for some reason you drop from cycling 500 km a week down to 50 km a week you would need to reduce the quantity of food/fuel...eat less

i see a guy who goes to gym where i go shopping...the lad "had" a body many of us would want...he still wears the tight shirts...however i havent seen him that much lately...but what i have noticed is it seems he cant be working out as much... he must be fueling the same now as he was while going to gym every day...his stomach is almost as big as mine now...the definition in his arms are now more like like my legs looked when i started cycling...i see this happen to often.

I think also the eat more bit comes from his main audience wanting to increase size too but if you stick to eating enough to fuel your performance, like you said, then you can't go wrong. 

It's a nice way of looking at it, eating for performance and not for all those other reasons we are used to. 

I think for us who's overweight, we need to forget about the carbo loading stuff. I only change in the week leading up to a race but for the usual training rides, we just need to get the body fat adapted. Train in a fasted state and burn more fat.

I dont eat or drink coffee before a ride...i dont even eat an energy bar while riding anymore...just 1 water and 1 electrolyte...and now with this cooler weather i dont finish them on a 60 km ride

Does working out with an empty stimach really help burn more fat?

That is a good question...my theory was if all this fat I carry around my waist was energy converted to fat...why can't my body convert it back to energy...when I need it...surely if I drink enough water to keep hydrated...I could keep going until the fat gut is gone...watching survivor makes me wonder why my theory wouldn't work.

I am told it is not that simple...I keep reading and hearing about sugar and oxygen levels etc required in your blood which feeds your muscles and keeps you going...

One thing I can tell you is I drink a lot less now when I ride than when I started riding...I also eat less.

Does working out with an empty stimach really help burn more fat?

There are so many conflicting thoughts on this. I think we have to try all the suggestions and then decide what works best for you.

I tried fasted training but couldn't do it on anything long, just felt awful and hated cycling and life. So now I do the long stuff properly fueled, but I'm trying to cut it down during training. I was doing all my during the week training fasted but I'm struggling on the hard sessions, I can't make my watts and I don't think that's good. So doing breakfast and water for those sessions. 

But I definitely feel like my body doesn't burn fat very well at all so maybe I need to retry some of these strategies...

As Veebee says, try and train in a fasted state as much as possible, and preferably early morning (vs evening). All the research backs it up.

I never eat anything before a ride - even big all-day rides into the mountains. Just a few bars in my back pockets, plus some cash for my usual stop at a cafe for a coke and a pie/bun after 4 hours or so.

Of course racing is different. We're only talking about training rides here.

I've posted a lot of stuff on this in the past and don't feel up to repeating it all again. 

So click on this link to another Hub thread and start downwards from there. Lots of articles posted in that thread for you to read.

There are so many conflicting thoughts on this. I think we have to try all the suggestions and then decide what works best for you.

I tried fasted training but couldn't do it on anything long, just felt awful and hated cycling and life. So now I do the long stuff properly fueled, but I'm trying to cut it down during training. I was doing all my during the week training fasted but I'm struggling on the hard sessions, I can't make my watts and I don't think that's good. So doing breakfast and water for those sessions. 

But I definitely feel like my body doesn't burn fat very well at all so maybe I need to retry some of these strategies...

How long did you try for?

I took 3 months off the bike and when I came back I was exactly like you. I was shocked at how quickly I'd regressed. Coming back, my rides were crappy if I didn't have pockets filled with carbs, eating constantly.

But over the next couple of months I slowly started coming back to where I was before. It gets better and better, I promise.

The way around it for me is to have cash at all times. If I'm having an off day and need refuelling I just stop off at a garage cafe and have a coke & whatever else I fancy. It helps to stay 'light' on a long ride - no need to carry a whole pantry with you - and it also helps prevent unnecessary eating on the bike - munching all your yummy bars "just because they're there", not because you're hungry.

Now I'm back to where I was before. A typical 4am week day ride of 70km with 1600m climbing = no food, just 1 bottle of water. And to be clear, I'm not depriving myself - my body just doesn't want any more than that. If I take more with me I'll just be bringing it all back home untouched. So what's the point? On a 6 - 8 hr ride in the mountains, still just 1 x 750ml bottle of water and a few bars, plus cash for my fill-up stops (But nothing before the ride - just wake up, kit up and head out).

Again, it did take me a little bit of time to get there. But it's sooo worth it.

Edited by tombeej

I dont eat or drink coffee before a ride...i dont even eat an energy bar while riding anymore...just 1 water and 1 electrolyte...and now with this cooler weather i dont finish them on a 60 km ride

Agreed  :thumbup:

Drink coffee, but cut the sugar and milk. The energy boost is great.

Fasted training has worked very well for me

Drink coffee, but cut the sugar and milk. The energy boost is great.

Fasted training has worked very well for me

It's the early mornings that get me... Bed is FAR more comfortable!

Need to just HTFU and do it.