Bike Hub weight loss challenge 2016

Bikehub weight loss competition  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in participating in a weight loss competition

• Yes
    • Perhaps
    • Where's my cake?

I've given up on beating that drum .... according to some 'ubbers if you ride lots you can eat what you want ....

Well, let's try bust that myth.

Here's an average unhealthy eating day of an average 30 year old. 

This was how my days went. Be honest with yourself.

Breakfast - 1 slice buttered toast and jam, 2 eggs and bacon = 375cal

Snack - Simba Chips + Coke = 629cal

Lunch - Sandwhich + coffee (2 sugar) = 322cals

Dinner - Mac n Cheese + Coke + chocolate = 1197cals

Various snacks and drinks during the day = 500cal

Total cals consumed for the day = 3033cals

Let's assume the person above weighs 105kg at 173cm, roughly 31% fat to body mass. Classified as obese.

At this weight, you need to consume 2384 calories to MAINTAIN your weight.

That means 649 calories need to be burned per day, on your bike to START losing weight. On average, you burn around 650 calories per hour of cycling. Great, that's 1 calorie more than your maintenance number.

Not so great when you realise you need to cycle 1 hour per day at moderate effort everyday, to be in a 1 calorie deficit. Now add those 3 beers on Saturday. Go for that second helping of pasta. Drink 4 cups of coffee/Coke a day.

Is it still feasible to out exercise a bad diet? 

Calories burned on daily tasks taken into consideration

Edited by partydave

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well after years of riding and trying to loose weight (just end up eating more the more I exercise!) I've copped a bad gut issue for the last month and as a result dropped from 86.5kegs to 72.5kgs... not the best way to do it but jeez you can fly up hills when you're not carrying over that with you. Just hoping the weight loss stops now as I'm starting to look weird. :)

Placeholder for maths

this week will be a high volume week hopefully, so lets see if my weight loss doubles with the extra exercise on the same clean[er] eating.

Which app are you using?

Looks like MyFitnessPal

Edited by François Marais

I've given up on beating that drum .... according to some 'ubbers if you ride lots you can eat what you want ....

You can but you have to ride lots and lots and lots - See Horner, Chris.

Else is it easier to improve the quality of your diet instead of the quantity.

You can but you have to ride lots and lots and lots - See Horner, Chris.

Else is it easier to improve the quality of your diet instead of the quantity.

I am not convinced it is possible for us mere mortals I'm afraid, Chris Horner surely is not the same as us, well me anyway?

I am not convinced it is possible for us mere mortals I'm afraid, Chris Horner surely is not the same as us, well me anyway?

You can eat exactly what you want, just not as much as you want.

But I agree, its easier to improve the quality of ones diet in order to lose weight. Can't see us mere mortals knocking out 600+km every week.

Here's an average unhealthy eating day of an average 30 year old. 

This was how my days went. Be honest with yourself.

Breakfast - 1 slice buttered toast and jam, 2 eggs and bacon = 375cal

Snack - Simba Chips + Coke = 629cal

Lunch - Sandwhich + coffee (2 sugar) = 322cals

Dinner - Mac n Cheese + Coke + chocolate = 1197cals

Various snacks and drinks during the day = 500cal

Total cals consumed for the day = 3033cals

Let's assume the person above weighs 105kg at 173cm, roughly 31% fat to body mass. Classified as obese.

At this weight, you need to consume 2384 calories to MAINTAIN your weight.

That means 649 calories need to be burned per day, on your bike to START losing weight. On average, you burn around 650 calories per hour of cycling. Great, that's 1 calorie more than your maintenance number.

Not so great when you realise you need to cycle 1 hour per day at moderate effort everyday, to be in a 1 calorie deficit. Now add those 3 beers on Saturday. Go for that second helping of pasta. Drink 4 cups of coffee/Coke a day.

Is it still feasible to out exercise a bad diet? 

Calories burned on daily tasks taken into consideration

100% spot on, Dave. 

Also - it's difficult to actually know how many calories are on a plate unless you actively get to know the calorie counts of a specific serving, thereby getting an "eye" for serving sizes. 

"that looks less than what I normally have" just doesn't cut it. 

Im down 4kg in 6 weeks.  Have 2.5 more to go for Knysna Argus.  Then another 4 for the start of the season.  

Why must every eating plan always go to shyte over December??

Why must every eating plan always go to shyte over December??

Xmas pudding....... Evil.

this must be the best advice i have seen with regards to weight loss...a 5 step process...never mind the abs for now...some good advice for anyone who is overweight or just needs to tone.

I love this guy! And this is just what I needed to hear today. Thank you for posting it.

So far today I have dodged samoosa's, donuts and there will be malva pudding shortly and I'm feeling confident I'll be able to politely say no thank you. 

Edited by NordicElf

I love this guy! And this is just what I needed to hear today. Thank you for posting it.

So far today I have dodged samoosa's, donuts and there will be malva pudding shortly and I'm feeling confident I'll be able to politely say no thank you. 

and i've walked into my folks and the menu today is soo good seeing that its my dads bday is - Curry n Roti, Mulva pudding, chocolate cake... controlling myself soo far.