• Yes
    • Perhaps
    • Where's my cake?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So solutions and fuel ideas sought....try these?

1. Old adage.....breakfast like a King, lunch like a Prince, dine like a pauper. Eat a good breakfast and make it high in protein. Supper is generally a small portion, eaten early, of a concoction of raw or lightly cooked veg, salads, pulses etc. I'm a vegetarian. If I was a carnivore, meat and veg would be far easier!

2. Hunger during the day, which we are conditioned to satisfy with snacks, or is it vice versa (?), are dealt with using a whey protein shake. This satiates me quite well, and I often have a smaller shake (!) mid-morning and mid-afternoon. I try and avoid those snacks described previously (dates, oats etc). They sound great, but v easy to take in unaccounted for calories. They do sound like great bike food though - and that should tell us something about why they should be avoided at your desk......

3. One meal at a time, starting now. Seriously....now. Not after lunch today. Not tomorrow.....

4. A couple of things that work for me:

a. take regular breaks from drinking alcohol, and in between sips doesn't count. Try a month's duration. This is v hard for me as I work in the brewing industry, and I love beer, particularly the social post-ride beer (plural), but I know how many calories I can save by doing this and I know that it trims my weight and my waist.

b. embrace 3 and 4a (above), and go home tonight and if you have a beer or opened bottle of wine in the fridge, then open it, take a sip, savour it, really savour it, and pour the rest down the drain. That's taking control! And then note your weight loss, body change, between now and 22 July.

c. Pander to your vain side. We all have one, even if it's hidden away in some, but when you see a change in you, however small, or others compliment you on a change, REMEMBER how you felt. (Those amongst us who live off of negative-reinforcement, can consider the alternate, if you wish....).  But let that feed you when you think you're hungry. Alternatively REMEMBER how you felt, after a bit of weight loss, when you climbed a decent hill? At least for a partial second you probably felt like Miller, Pantani, Contador, Froome, or whoever, didn't you, compared to your old-self? You don't have to be better, or skinnier, than those pros, just the old-you, of yesterday, on your bike, who's behind you!

d. focus, not obsess about weight. I've been training for the upcoming Jock Classique, my first attempt, and probably have only dropped 2 kg in 3 months (I wanted to drop 4 kg in total). But my %body fat has dropped significantly, I've lost 5 cm off my waist, my body shape isn't mine anymore (whose clothes are they?), and I've added muscle mass in the right places (hopefully). Outwardly not an ideal result perhaps, if I'd obsessed only about body mass, but I'm happy (at least until the Jock arrives...). It is difficult though, to not keep looking at my body mass plot and castigate myself, but that's for the next meal.... 

Time for a protein shake!

i have 2 rides i need to work towards this year...toti 69er and amashova...lets see if i can get below 105 kg for the 69er and 100 kg for the amashova.

i am gona put off any power or speed challenges for now and focus more on weight loss.

time for an apple.

i have 2 rides i need to work towards this year...toti 69er and amashova...lets see if i can get below 105 kg for the 69er and 100 kg for the amashova.

i am gona put off any power or speed challenges for now and focus more on weight loss.

time for an apple.

its good to have these goals, they will keep you on track. But Toti69er is just around the corner, so maybe to soon to expect big changes.

Problem here is that if you don't meet your goals then it could leave you feeling k@k and thinking that the 3 weeks of work you just put in was a waste a time and will probably throw you off track.

Set long term goals and just put in all your energy towards that.

its good to have these goals, they will keep you on track. But Toti69er is just around the corner, so maybe to soon to expect big changes.

Problem here is that if you don't meet your goals then it could leave you feeling k@k and thinking that the 3 weeks of work you just put in was a waste a time and will probably throw you off track.

Set long term goals and just put in all your energy towards that.

I'd agree entirely. Setting ourselves up for failure, particularly if you're prone to self-sabotage in life (too philosophical?) should be guarded against.

My suggestion for a realistic mid-long term goal, is to lose some weight for event X. Yes, a line in the sand is good to aim for, but careful of stretch targets.....they tend to snap back and klap you. Take my 4 kgs loss target for the Jock. It may not have been, or be, achievable, but I know that I largely followed the right path to try and get there (diet, training, rest, not getting manic etc), which is ultimately what I'm concerned about. That's the bit I have control, or try to wrestle control, over. That's my job, if you will. My body's job is to respond. The consequence of this control, hopefully is weight loss, which will arrive eventually if you follow the right path. Incidentally the right path, or the training/rest bit of it, will bring cycling performance benefits as well, be it, speed, power, strength, endurance blah, blah (I've read several comments supporting this in this thread), whether you lose lots of weight or otherwise.

Another solution offered......"You're allowed to be lazy." But only once in a while. No need to set a timeframe on it. Your inner-voice knows when too often, is too much. So if you think you're too tired to train, be lazy and take a rest day. Legs are still feeling sore from the last hard session, be lazy, and do a recovery ride. You really want those slap chips? Be lazy, and have a portion. But if you find yourself getting too polarised down this 'lazy' route, have a word with yourself.....

Shot dude. 

I would try to get the portions right, myself, but too much cocao and it could be a bit... interesting. 

Ok, so here it is:

Date Ball Recipe

1 cup dates,

1 cup oats raw,

¾ cup desiccated coconut,

1/3 cup cocoa,

2tbsp water,

2tbsp coconut oil,

2 tbsp. vanilla

All ingredients together in blender with S blade, mix until it becomes kind of sticky, squash between your palms to make balls. (I find it easier to blend dry ingredients first, and then stir in the liquids).

We also replace half the oats with sunflower seeds or almonds for variation

We also add a shot or 2 of Espresso instead of vanilla for a more coffee taste sometimes!

1 recipe makes about 20 balls depending on size

Berry smoothie

Quarter cup kefir/plain yoghurt

Quarter cup oats

1/2 apples diced

Quarter cup frozen berries (Impala has them)

2 table spoons of linseed and 2 pumpkin seed (or any other nuts/seeds)

Honey/stevia to taste

1/2 cups of water

Blend till smooth

We use a Nutri Bullet to do the blending. It blends very fast and very well!

SHOT!

Cool. We keep the date balls in the freezer until we eat them. They stay together better that way. The kids just eat them frozen...

The other way of forming them is to take a coffee measure and press them in. That way the "Dose" is consistent and the shape is more uniform (if that's important to you!)

Ok, so here it is:

Date Ball Recipe

1 cup dates,

1 cup oats raw,

¾ cup desiccated coconut,

1/3 cup cocoa,

2tbsp water,

2tbsp coconut oil,

2 tbsp. vanilla

All ingredients together in blender with S blade, mix until it becomes kind of sticky, squash between your palms to make balls. (I find it easier to blend dry ingredients first, and then stir in the liquids).

We also replace half the oats with sunflower seeds or almonds for variation

We also add a shot or 2 of Espresso instead of vanilla for a more coffee taste sometimes!

1 recipe makes about 20 balls depending on size

Berry smoothie

Quarter cup kefir/plain yoghurt

Quarter cup oats

1/2 apples diced

Quarter cup frozen berries (Impala has them)

2 table spoons of linseed and 2 pumpkin seed (or any other nuts/seeds)

Honey/stevia to taste

1/2 cups of water

Blend till smooth

We use a Nutri Bullet to do the blending. It blends very fast and very well!

My wife also makes similar date ball thing but we add honey, macadamia nuts and tennis biscuits (to bind it). We only use this as an "energy bar" on the bike though since it packs quite some calories as Fat Boab also pointed out.

It works very well as an energy source.

My wife also makes similar date ball thing but we add honey, macadamia nuts and tennis biscuits (to bind it). We only use this as an "energy bar" on the bike though since it packs quite some calories as Fat Boab also pointed out.

It works very well as an energy source.

It's a great energy source. We have put in honey before but it makes it super-sweet. We don't put in biscuits because we want no sugar besides that contained in the fruit in it. Macadamia nuts would be super good in it though.

What do you put it in when you go out for a ride?

Was a good boy yesterday and today so dar.

Suffered on my hood ride yesterday afternoon...had to stop 3 times...feeling dizzy.

Lets make this happen 100 kg here we come

It's a great energy source. We have put in honey before but it makes it super-sweet. We don't put in biscuits because we want no sugar besides that contained in the fruit in it. Macadamia nuts would be super good in it though.

What do you put it in when you go out for a ride?

a normal plastic bag- that ziplog things you put your food in when you freeze it.

I only heard of it and start using it after the Argus- and then only on slow intensity long rides. My current rides are short, so I don't use it at the moment. Will start using it again in August when we start increasing distance and tempo.

We only add a bit of honey for taste,for me it's not that sweet. I'm not that fond of the biscuits either, but it's really only a few biscuits.

I will try your recipe as well and see how it goes. Dates and nuts are powerful stuff- I also want to try and add cranberries and/or raisins to the recipe as well and see how it goes. 

day 3 and I am determined to make this work..have to confess i had 3 pieces of fish and a side plate of chips last night but i got a good lashing when i got home. 

only eating bran in the morning

2 small apples in the morning

chicken salad for lunch 

veg for dinner except last night

too much talk about fat turning to muscle...so i am toning down the riding to loose weight.

i have identified all the junk and where i have failed...so i am gona focus on cutting back on the "junk" and try eating more real food...veggies and stuff.

one thing i am going to battle with and i am aware of it...coffee with with sugar...this is going to be the hardest to drop.

i noticed today that my chicken salad portion is tooo big and i need to cut it in half and eat it in 2 session...otherwise it feels like my stomach has shrunk by 1 pm.

headaches started yesterday morning.

went for a hood spin on wednesday afternoon...had to stop 3 times from absolute blow out...not too concerned...was expecting it to happen.

keen to ride the big ride on sunday with the club...will have to make sure i fuel right the day before.