Bike Hub weight loss challenge 2016

Bikehub weight loss competition  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in participating in a weight loss competition

• Yes
    • Perhaps
    • Where's my cake?

There is an old Euro roadie trick that works wonders: sparkling water.

It has an amazing ability to make you feel full while at the same time obviously contributing zero calories (and of course no adverse 'chemical' side effects as found in diet pills - a completely benign/natural appetite suppressant).

Tyler Hamilton wrote in his book about going for huge rides then getting home, drinking 3L of sparkling water & 2 sleeping pills and going to bed. That's how they'd get down to skeletal levels before the TDF.

Of course, that's a bit too extreme. Here's what I do. I always have a 1L bottle of sparkling water (or soda water) in the fridge. When I get home and I've got the urge to eat the fridge I make up a protein shake for the recovery and then down a large glass of sparkling water. Immediately I don't want to see any more food. And for a while.

My worst time of the day is the evenings. I get mad cravings to snack all the time. Completely undoes all my hard work all the time. It's a real problem. So when I have supper, I make sure it's early, that the portion size is small, and then I chase it down with a large glass of sparkling water. Does the trick every time :).

Do you think it will work with normal water? I guess I should try, not a fan of the taste of sparkling water but I guess I'd be willing to try if it works...

Just looking at my weightloss graph after seeing that one posted earlier and feeling a bit despondent now.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think it will work with normal water? I guess I should try, not a fan of the taste of sparkling water but I guess I'd be willing to try if it works...

Just looking at my weightloss graph after seeing that one posted earlier and feeling a bit despondent now.

To a degree, yes. But the CO2 in sparkling water helps fill you up even more, to keep off the hunger pangs. 

i been thinking about this weight loss challenge (which for some of us is a huge one)...just imagine if  it was as simple as taking a pill with all the correct contents and bingo 3 months later you were thin again...you would become a billionaire over night...however it is not going to happen anytime soon...so what else would be a "simple solution"...

rat packs came to mind...what about a rat pack (healthy food packs) like we got on the border...we lived on these packs for weeks while in the bush...they had everything we needed to keep us going and enough energy to walk for hundreds of kilometers.

the problem is when you go back to "normal" food you get seriously ill ( i did) 

my problem is i get lazy to make and pack lunch...then i binge while out on the road or dont eat all day then then literally eat the fridge and raid my daughters sweat cupboard when i get home.

i been thinking about this weight loss challenge (which for some of us is a huge one)...just imagine if  it was as simple as taking a pill with all the correct contents and bingo 3 months later you were thin again...you would become a billionaire over night...however it is not going to happen anytime soon...so what else would be a "simple solution"...

rat packs came to mind...what about a rat pack (healthy food packs) like we got on the border...we lived on these packs for weeks while in the bush...they had everything we needed to keep us going and enough energy to walk for hundreds of kilometers.

the problem is when you go back to "normal" food you get seriously ill ( i did) 

my problem is i get lazy to make and pack lunch...then i binge while out on the road or dont eat all day then then literally eat the fridge and raid my daughters sweat cupboard when i get home.

Even if you had a 'ratpack' since you're not out in the bush what's to prevent you just doing the things you normally end up doing?

I don't often contribute to this thread, but.....personal empirical evidence in dropping over 35kg in 6 years suggests the following:

1. Consume fewer calories than you use.

2. Use more calories than you consume.

3. Clarify whether you're eating/drinking what you need vs want. Ie don't confuse the two.

4. Plan for the long term, and don't over-celebrate short term losses, nor lose hope at short-term gains.

5. If you hear yourself say "we're all different" too often as an excuse; it is one.

6. If you find pro riders aspirational (?), read some autobiogs and take heart when they state things like "bread, biscuits etc are banned from our house..." (Wiggins), and "...he needs to keep his arms by his side when the bread basket comes round." (Froome). See #1 above.

It's (sadly) quite easy to lose weight, unless you have a medical condition, I guess (see #5 as a caveat). It's wanting to do it is the hard bit....

isetech - check this out. http://fitchef.co.za/

thanks...i see it tells us everything we already know and already discussed in this thread.

we all know what the answer is to getting thinner...

we all know that no matter what eating plan you choose to follow...vegan...banting...weighless...etc etc etc you will loose weight...you tone the muscle by doing exercise...other wise you gona be this skinny fella with lots of hanging loose skin.

the challenge is quite simple...the motivation to start and stick to the eating plan and cut out the junk...people it is that simple...the question then is why are so many of us battling to loose weight...

too many distractions? 

too much stress in our lives ?

lack of self discipline?

not a life threatening issue (it actually is for some of us)

just too lazy?

too much sub concious advertising? 

junk food just taste so good?

etc etc

you have to ask yourself why obesity has  become one of the highest killers in the world.

we all have the same goal to ride bicycles...be it a mtb...road...downhill...and make an effort to improve our skills and get faster...one of the biggest factors in improving speed and climbing hills is power to weight...i for one have put in huge effort to improve power yet i lack in the weight department...it hinders my pedal stroke because my knees hit my gut while on the drops.

we talk about it on a daily basis and yet we still eat the junk...i even had a challenge to loose weight so that i could ride my leka bike...here i sit with a toasted cheese sarmie (actually 2 dont tell anyone ;)) and a cup of coffee with sugar. 

the challenge doesnt stop at the goal weight ...trust me been down and back up...i still have 20-30 kg to loose it just sounds like such a big number.

just posted that as you said you struggle to pack lunch, and make it healthy.

If someone only feeds you healthy food, then that is all you will consume. It's really up to you to get your mind on track and stick to it.

Excuses don't get us places.

Enough talk fatties...time to drop a few kg...lets make this thread about solutions and not excuses.

Lets make it about fuel...not diets.

We know what we have to do...lets help each other...and any positive input from anybody is most welcome.

Step 1 ...identify the junk and stop eating it...this is going to be the most challenging part so lets start here...

Lets do this step by step.

Step 2 is going to be the type of fuel...it is going to be different because some would prefer banting...some vegan and others just general.

Let the fun begin...no junk today...or at least try cut back.

Tomorrow we start to fuel...what is for breakfast?

Breakfast - 1 large apple at 10am. After a morning ride of 90mins.

Lunch - mixed veg and a soya burger pattie- no bread.

Snack- raw unsalted mixed nuts.

Dinner-tba

Good start veebee [emoji1360]

I have already had 2 eggs with toast...junk identified already...toast to cut out.

Lunch will be a chicken salad...no bread.

Water...water water...note to myself....drink more water.

Myles we watching you [emoji3]

Breakfast is black coffee. Lunch is an apple and protein shake. Dinner is steak and broccoli.

Should get around 4.5l water through the day

I find if I don't have something for breakfast then I tend to get desperate for something ..... anything .... around 10am then even the grandkids secret sweet stash could be in danger ;) - hence 2 boiled eggs every single morning without fail :)

I find if I don't have something for breakfast then I tend to get desperate for something ..... anything .... around 10am then even the grandkids secret sweet stash could be in danger ;) - hence 2 boiled eggs every single morning without fail :)

My wife makes an awesome healthy snack by combining Cocoa, Dates, Raw Oats, some seeds and coconut oil and squashes them into a ball. I have one of those with a black coffee when I get to work. It seems to stave off the hunger.

I also have an egg every morning (no toast). Also have a smoothie made with kefir, fruit, oats, seeds and raw honey.

My wife makes an awesome healthy snack by combining Cocoa, Dates, Raw Oats, some seeds and coconut oil and squashes them into a ball. I have one of those with a black coffee when I get to work. It seems to stave off the hunger.

I also have an egg every morning (no toast). Also have a smoothie made with kefir, fruit, oats, seeds and raw honey.

I must try that... Can you ask her for the recipe please?