Let me introduce KODI to you...

Johnstoneighty6

With exodus Trakt works very well to organize series, quick access and see what you have watched

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought so grebel...but thanks

But I know about the star etc

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Edited by Oxter

• 3 weeks later...

Is anybody else having issues with Openelec on Raspberry pi connecting to wi-fi or kore?

something updated on the weekend, and lost wi-fi connectivity, reinstalled and got wi-fi but my kore remote app wont connect.

i see that its not supported on Noobs Anymore but rather a newer breakaway from Openelec, LibreElec is.

OK, so finally after 8 month my internet connection got installed today. Now another curveball that I hope some of you clued-up hubbers can help:

I now have a WISP to my house. 8mbps with a 50GB cap (lets see how long that lasts)

I have 4 TVs:

TV 1, Samsung smart (cant find playstore on it so I don’t know if its android). Will have to connect via the wifi as the clever builders never left a space through the firewall to get the network cable through. I get 6mbps at the tv

TV 2 & 3 Samsung smart. Connected with a network cable. (catn find playstore on it so I don’t know if its android)

TV 4. Old plasma with a network cable.

For TV 4 I am pretty sure I will need something like a RPi.

Now as I am not very technical but can sort off help myself, I just have this question:

If I get a RPi, can all 4 TV’s work from one presuming you want to play the same “channel” on all tv’s at once? What should I do if I want 4 different “channels”? 4 x RPi’s? (bashing his head cause this is getting really expensive if this is the case)

OK, so finally after 8 month my internet connection got installed today. Now another curveball that I hope some of you clued-up hubbers can help:

I now have a WISP to my house. 8mbps with a 50GB cap (lets see how long that lasts)

I have 4 TVs:

TV 1, Samsung smart (cant find playstore on it so I don’t know if its android). Will have to connect via the wifi as the clever builders never left a space through the firewall to get the network cable through. I get 6mbps at the tv

TV 2 & 3 Samsung smart. Connected with a network cable. (catn find playstore on it so I don’t know if its android)

TV 4. Old plasma with a network cable.

For TV 4 I am pretty sure I will need something like a RPi.

Now as I am not very technical but can sort off help myself, I just have this question:

If I get a RPi, can all 4 TV’s work from one presuming you want to play the same “channel” on all tv’s at once? What should I do if I want 4 different “channels”? 4 x RPi’s? (bashing his head cause this is getting really expensive if this is the case)

TV's 1/2/3 wont be running android, Samsung have their own OS for them. In order to be able to download certain apps like Hulu for example you need to have a DNS service that changes your geolocation.

You cant play all 4 tv's off a single pi, they need to be physically connected to the HDMI port on it(yes you could use a splitter but getting those cables to each TV will be no fun at all.)

What I would do in your situation is to install plex server on an existing pc on your network then install a plex client on each smart tv and on the pi that would be running on the plasma.

That way you can merrily play different stuff with the plex server handling all of it.

Im not sure exactly what your goals are but that would be a  rough start.

TV's 1/2/3 wont be running android, Samsung have their own OS for them. In order to be able to download certain apps like Hulu for example you need to have a DNS service that changes your geolocation.

You cant play all 4 tv's off a single pi, they need to be physically connected to the HDMI port on it(yes you could use a splitter but getting those cables to each TV will be no fun at all.)

What I would do in your situation is to install plex server on an existing pc on your network then install a plex client on each smart tv and on the pi that would be running on the plasma.

That way you can merrily play different stuff with the plex server handling all of it.

Im not sure exactly what your goals are but that would be a  rough start.

Thanks that sounds like a good solution and I will save plenty moola.

I don’t know plex and I will do my google work tonight (seeing that I have 50gb that I wont be unsing for Kodi soon), but can I ask one more question please?

Is plex like a program that runs on you PC that you add Kodi to? Do you run plex on the tv and then within it you open Kodi or is Kodi out of the picture now?

I don’t know plex and I will do my google work tonight (seeing that I have 50gb that I wont be unsing for Kodi soon), but can I ask one more question please?

Is plex like a program that runs on you PC that you add Kodi to? Do you run plex on the tv and then within it you open Kodi or is Kodi out of the picture now?

Plex is a Windows media Center And Server, it relaced Xbmc on the X-box (Xbmc is now Kodi)

you don't need Plex to run Kodi

if you have a look 2 pages back I Lad Instructions for a pi-based server which works well for downloads and streaming

Edited by tedibear

I did some googling and from what I can see is that you add Plex in Kodi and not Kodi in plex so that solution wont work. Or am I missing something? Isnt the whole idea to stream live tv (like the tdf) on Kodi rather than have DSTV? If you use plex you still need to download and watch later....

To me it looks like what tedibear says will work, but that means I need 4 Pi's. At 1500 for the rasberry and 1100 for the firestick I am looking at between 4400 and 6000 above the 3200 I just paid for the wifi and network installaton. That puts me close to 10k!! .....Grondpad has a prozac moment.....

Surely there is another way?

There is another solution but it requires patience and a little bit of optimism....

Have a look at Deal Extreme, Banggood, Aliexpress etc and get 4 Android TV Boxes and 4 Rii i8+ keyboards. That should set you back around R800 per TV. Load Kodi onto all of them and you have a streaming solution at each TV watching station.

Otherwise go the Plex route and decide which TV will be the streamimg TV and limit the options.

There is no silver bullet if you want 4 separate streaming TV stations unless you use your phone loaded with Kodi and cast to the TV. There was a link somewhere in this thread about how to do it.

Don't think there is a solution to your problem for now other than having a device for each TV.

When I bought my RPi and later ATV 4 ,I realized I have the WiiU and PS3 that can run Hulu,Netflix and Plex.Maybe you have a laptop or gaming console lying around that will do the job.   

I've been having issues with streaming lately. LOTS of buffering and ridiculously low line speeds. Did a few Speed Tests over the past few days and haven't seen more than 0,7Mb/s  with an average of around 0,4Mb/s and I am paying for a 4Meg line.....

Last few nights I've had to unplug router cables with only the one plugged in that feeds the Media box and then it is hit and miss as to whether or not I am able to stream at 480p....

Called Telkon (No it;s not a spelling mistake...) now to see if there is a problem with the line of if I had been throttled and it turns out that the line speeds on either side are mismatched. We upgraded to a 4Meg line a few weeks ago and on the router it showed speed down the line as 4Meg. Somehow on their side it is still showing 2Meg.

According to the consultant this will result in VERY low line speeds...? Anybody able to confirm this?

Anyway, fault logged and should be sorted within 24hrs according to her. Fingers crossed......

There is another solution but it requires patience and a little bit of optimism....

Have a look at Deal Extreme, Banggood, Aliexpress etc and get 4 Android TV Boxes and 4 Rii i8+ keyboards. That should set you back around R800 per TV. Load Kodi onto all of them and you have a streaming solution at each TV watching station.

Otherwise go the Plex route and decide which TV will be the streamimg TV and limit the options.

There is no silver bullet if you want 4 separate streaming TV stations unless you use your phone loaded with Kodi and cast to the TV. There was a link somewhere in this thread about how to do it.

I think in the long run this will be the best option. Its a lot of extra to spend but for peace in the house this might be the way to go.

Quick Q, where do you get them for R800? The cheapest I can find is the MXQ Quad-Core Android TV Box for R995 from http://androidtvboxes.co.za/

I think in the long run this will be the best option. Its a lot of extra to spend but for peace in the house this might be the way to go.

Quick Q, where do you get them for R800? The cheapest I can find is the MXQ Quad-Core Android TV Box for R995 from http://androidtvboxes.co.za/

Ok, I found the Mxq Full Hd 1080p Ott TV Box Android 4.4 Media Player for R795 and ordered one. So lets see how it works. Watch this space (in 1 to 3 days in main centres) .

Pricing was a bit of a thumb suck based on what I paid a few months ago...

MXQ Pro From Deal Extreme

Rii i8 from Deal Extreme (No backlight though. The i8+ seems to be sold out)

MXQ Pro From Banggood

Rii i8+ from Banggood (This one has backlight. I would recommend backlight)

Still comes in at around a 1 Gorilla

The reason I mentioned patience is that these all ship from China and that usually takes around 5 weeks with SAPO. In addition to that you may or may not be charged duties...

Also have a look on Amazon if you have somebody coming over from the UK.

Worth every cent so far  :thumbup:

Is anybody else having issues with Openelec on Raspberry pi connecting to wi-fi or kore?

something updated on the weekend, and lost wi-fi connectivity, reinstalled and got wi-fi but my kore remote app wont connect.

i see that its not supported on Noobs Anymore but rather a newer breakaway from Openelec, LibreElec is.

You can also try OSMC.

You can also try OSMC.

Ive tried OSMC in the past. found it was slow compared with OpenElec.

anyway back up and running

Tried Libre, But couldn't get YouTube to run Ect.. so reloaded Openelec and everything back to normal.

I Now have to re-read this thread as I'm starting to stream more than i download...

need a good few channels for movies and series, and want t try watch the Le Tour, any suggestions?