Let me introduce KODI to you...

Johnstoneighty6

Just upgraded my line to 10Mb Uncapped with Telkom @ R799 a month including your landline and ADSL line rentals (Current promo they are running) but have been keeping an eye on Afrihost's offerings as well. 

I see that they are offering a 20Mb ADSL line with 200+200Gb for R725/month (Excl landline)

That's not bad IMO.

Anybody have any horror stories about Afrihost? Surely can't be worse than Telkom.....

we have been having **** service from them at our office for the past 3 weeks. Line just drops randomly for all traffic other than through port 80. Usually happens in the afternoon and resolves itself after anything from a few minutes to a few hours. They have absolutely no idea what is causing it

edit...other than that they have been great

Edited by Stretch

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. I think I will let the Telkom Uncapped run until the end of 2016 and then see if Afrihost renew their Double Data deal going forward (I see it is up for review after the offer ends 31 December 2016)

Just upgraded my line to 10Mb Uncapped with Telkom @ R799 a month including your landline and ADSL line rentals (Current promo they are running) but have been keeping an eye on Afrihost's offerings as well. 

I see that they are offering a 20Mb ADSL line with 200+200Gb for R725/month (Excl landline)

That's not bad IMO.

Anybody have any horror stories about Afrihost? Surely can't be worse than Telkom.....

I've been with them from their earliest beginnings and apart from a dodgy period where the network was patchy a few years ago my service from them is unendingly excellent.

They manage my line as well.

Highly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

Using Zem for live sports... Watching the cricket on their wtv stream..star sports 2. There is also uktvnow stream which has sky 1 to 5. A pakistan based add on

Edited by Stretch

ZEM TV is not bad but I have one better. When you power your Android box up you may see an app called Mobdro. If it is not there you may want to install. Since using Mobdro I have not used KODI at all for sports. Mobdro also comes with live US and UK TV channels

Mobdro only shows links if they are working so a channel you see today you may not see tomorrow. It also uses a lot less bandwidth than KODI so the playback is really smooth with very little freezing.

From the Mobdro home screen you see Channels, News, Shows, Movies, Sports and Music. Go to Channels to watch live US and UK TV channels.

Where Mobdro excels is in Sports - you get virtually every sports channel except for Supersports - SkySports 1-5, plus Skysports News, BT Sports 1-3, ESPN, Canadian TSN channels 1-5, Canadian SportsNet channels 1-5, etc , etc. All of these channels are live feeds.

Mobdro for kodi http://mobdrodownloadapp.com/mobdro-for-kodi-download-install-guide-for-xbmc/

Can be hit or miss if and when working

Mobdro is an app like Kodi and you should be downloading it direct - not via Kodi. If you download via Kodi and then run thru Kodi you adding an extra layer which I'm sure slows things down. When I switch my Android box on I see Kodi, Mobdro, Youtube, Netflix,etc - all top level apps.

Mobdro is an app like Kodi and you should be downloading it direct - not via Kodi. If you download via Kodi and then run thru Kodi you adding an extra layer which I'm sure slows things down. When I switch my Android box on I see Kodi, Mobdro, Youtube, Netflix,etc - all top level apps.

Not all are using an android box, so is not an option for some. Many like myself included run kodi directly on a Raspberry Pi, which is one less layer (as you call it) as we do not have the android OS, just straight kodi!

Will look into it thanx!!!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

So I have the Amazon Firestick.....with Cyber Monday aproaching. ..was wondering what amp / tuner works well with streaming devices....like the Firestick. .Apple TV and Android boxes...thanx

Not all are using an android box, so is not an option for some. Many like myself included run kodi directly on a Raspberry Pi, which is one less layer (as you call it) as we do not have the android OS, just straight kodi!

But you have the Raspbian OS, much the same kinda thing as Android. Kodi is an application that needs an OS underneath it.

http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_on_Raspberry_Pi

Edited by kosmonooit

But you have the Raspbian OS, much the same kinda thing as Android. Kodi is an application that needs an OS underneath it.

http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_on_Raspberry_Pi

That only applies if you using Raspbian OS

if you using one of the other options like i'm using Openelec, then is Kodi Built into an OS.

you switch it on it Boots straight to Kodi, the reason to do this is its makes the build more lighter, less resource intensive, and with the Raspberry pi you need all the Resources you can get, 

which is what most people use.

i installed Mobdro on my firestick..worked like a charm. Time will tell what it is like for a major sporting event. Streaming the rugby on Sat via Zem was not useable because of the source bandwidth. Watched a bit of the cricket this morning through Mobdro and it was fine

i installed Mobdro on my firestick..worked like a charm. Time will tell what it is like for a major sporting event. Streaming the rugby on Sat via Zem was not useable because of the source bandwidth. Watched a bit of the cricket this morning through Mobdro and it was fine

I had issues this weekend with the rugby.... Kept on dropping the stream after about 5 minutes so I had to keep on reconnecting  :cursing: (That was through Sport365 and MamaHD) I tried a few other providers and ended up on HDFree (Think that was it) but the quality was really bad.

Is Mobdro available from the Playstore?

I had issues this weekend with the rugby.... Kept on dropping the stream after about 5 minutes so I had to keep on reconnecting :cursing: (That was through Sport365 and MamaHD) I tried a few other providers and ended up on HDFree (Think that was it) but the quality was really bad.

Is Mobdro available from the Playstore?

No you need to go to their website to download it. Also struggled this weekend with the rugby (to get a good feed), what frustrated me was the effort I went through to watch the game and the way they played. Brings back memories of the Japan game for me

Watched some of the cricket on BT3, but the picture and sound was'nt in sync. Just switched back to my ss2 stream

Edited by Bad Hombre