Let me introduce KODI to you...

Johnstoneighty6

the amazon fire tv is going to be significantly more powerful than the rasberry pi...but will involve sideloading in order to get some android apps on it..no biggie though

that is a monstrous ripoff though - R1200 if you buy from amazon uk...you dont know anyone coming back from the uk?

Thanks - might just go with the Cloudgate device because no one travelling back from UK soon.

Definitely not paying local supplier twice the price.

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks - might just go with the Cloudgate device because no one travelling back from UK soon.

Definitely not paying local supplier twice the price.

that one that V12 posted looks pretty good...and it has a remote with a keyboard. A device that can be driven by a remote makes a massive difference. and you gonna pay an extra 500 plus for a decent Bluetooth keyboard anyway. personally I would go with that. I have tried to use other devices using a keyboard and they seem clumsy and inefficient when compared with remote driven fire stick (my personal opinion of course)

once you are in Kodi - it can be driven with a basic "left right up down action" remote - and you can luanch any other android app from within kodi

Here another combo deal for R1699 with keyboard remote, also quad core, Android 6, 2G Ram/16Rom http://www.hdmi-led.co.za/online-store/!/Combo-Android-TV-Box-6-0M-MX6---i8-air-mouse-keyboard-white/p/75795427/category%3D21230808?gclid=CJqnhfiG0NACFUUW0wodSrIImw

If you not in a rush for it, I have just ordered and Octa core Android 6 2G Ram/32G Rom for next to nothing :) http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_493138.html?wid=21

that one that V12 posted looks pretty good...and it has a remote with a keyboard. A device that can be driven by a remote makes a massive difference. and you gonna pay an extra 500 plus for a decent Bluetooth keyboard anyway. personally I would go with that. I have tried to use other devices using a keyboard and they seem clumsy and inefficient when compared with remote driven fire stick (my personal opinion of course)

once you are in Kodi - it can be driven with a basic "left right up down action" remote - and you can luanch any other android app from within kodi

Thanks. Remote is separate though according to that page? Register to see price....

Here another combo deal for R1699 with keyboard remote, also quad core, Android 6, 2G Ram/16Rom http://www.hdmi-led.co.za/online-store/!/Combo-Android-TV-Box-6-0M-MX6---i8-air-mouse-keyboard-white/p/75795427/category%3D21230808?gclid=CJqnhfiG0NACFUUW0wodSrIImw

If you not in a rush for it, I have just ordered and Octa core Android 6 2G Ram/32G Rom for next to nothing :) http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_493138.html?wid=21

Hmmm...not sure I can wait but would I be silly going with the first one rather than being more patient and getting one with 32GM ROM?

Thanks,

R1,000....looks like a win, half the price of the others.

Do you just use a normal mouse and keyboard with that?

Sort of. I bought a wireless keyboard with mousepad. I have a wireless mouse too but find this easier to use.

Here it is:

http://www.takealot.com/logitech-k400-wireless-keyboard-usb-touchpad/PLID26792801

By the way , I'm not on Takelaot's payroll. Haha  :whistling:

Edited by sawystertrance

Hmmm...not sure I can wait but would I be silly going with the first one rather than being more patient and getting one with 32GM ROM?

16G is plenty for running kodi

Am only getting 32G because there is other stuff want to play and experiment with outside of kodi.

I already have an 8G Android box and 2 Rasbpi's for Kodi,  All run kodi perfect, hence why I ordered direct from China and am happy to sit and wait weeks/months for it to arrive

16G is plenty for running kodi

Am only getting 32G because there is other stuff want to play and experiment with outside of kodi.

I already have an 8G Android box and 2 Rasbpi's for Kodi,  All run kodi perfect, hence why I ordered direct from China and am happy to sit and wait weeks/months for it to arrive

Ok thanks. And no issues with devices with Kodi preloaded?

Ok thanks. And no issues with devices with Kodi preloaded?

No issues, save a bit of time... you will have to just load the addons you prefer using if they are not already loaded

Gearbest is excellent by the way.

The priority line shipping option is quick: eight days a few months ago, now, as it's close to Chrimbo might be a bit slower but two weeks is a possibility. It'll add about ZAR160 to your order.

They have some good pricing.

Edit: Spelling.

Edited by cfcjim

Thanks all, went with Shaper's combo deal. Will let you know in a week's time how it worked.

Had kodi for a month before laptop was liberated from my house. Girlfriend signed up for free trial on Netflix and Showmax using smartTV....not worth it, just reinforced that kodi is worthwhile.

And will pay for itself in 18 months...not bad

I've been running the Pi3 for the year works great..

but recently bought the MXQ pro off Takelot for R890, but cannot find it now.. works great, better than the Pi3.. rather get the Android Tv Box, can get it cheaper and runs more smoothly.

Exodus related question: any way to prevent it showing streams of movies that have subtitles as part of the movie? Guess it was embedded in the movie so no way to remove it. A bit of a schlep at present to try another stream, so I tend to just keep watching and get used to it!

Exodus related question: any way to prevent it showing streams of movies that have subtitles as part of the movie? Guess it was embedded in the movie so no way to remove it. A bit of a schlep at present to try another stream, so I tend to just keep watching and get used to it!

Nope... If it'sa new movie.. chances are all sources will have..

An update, went with Shaper's first link here....arrived within 2 days of ordering, unfortunately remote for TV box didnt work :(

Called suppliers, they immediately issued a replacement, got it a couple days later....great service.

And now I'm up and running with kodi again, MX-6 box is working perfectly and I'm stoked to be back on the line.

Thanks for the help guys.