Is this due to too much power or some other

Dicky DQ

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMG-20151009-WA0004.jpg?dl=0

I did this to my Shimano freewheel. Think this looks more like metal fatigue and too much POWERRR!!

Yours looks like it was removed/installed with a 6 pound hammer.

Hope bearings don't last longer??? I have hope hubs with still th original bearings in more than 5 years do the line?

how often do you ride the wheels.

I've owned two sets over the last few years and both rear hub bearing s haven't last longer than 18months.

In comparison to DT Swiss 240 s and Chris King ISO Disc that have never had the bearings replaced, just cleaned and regreased

I think the answer lies in the condition of the tip of the 10 o-clock pawl.  That's hardened steel yet there definitely a crush mark on the tip.  My guess, when they removed the freewheel body to replace the bearing something bloody hard remained in the grease of the outer ring (did the bearing not perhaps collapse - because a ball could have done that).  When the freewheel body was replaced, it was only a matter of time before the pawl engaged on whatever was left behind, and because the clearance is so small, it pushed the pawl inwards and cracked the freebody.

I've owned two sets over the last few years and both rear hub bearing s haven't last longer than 18months.

In comparison to DT Swiss 240 s and Chris King ISO Disc that have never had the bearings replaced, just cleaned and regreased

unfortunate but isolated. Been riding various iterations of Hope hubs for years. No problem, despite lack of maintenance. Your earlier statement was too sweeping. Hope wouldn't have the reputation is does if their products failed within 18mnths.

I usually agree with you, but i reckon you either have an issue with your hubs or you are using the wrong bearings... 

Back on topic! 

Novatec are great for their price!

Th current set I have been riding for almost 2 years an got them second hand. +/- 7000km the other has about. 10000km . On my gf bike currently

I usually agree with you, but i reckon you either have an issue with your hubs or you are using the wrong bearings... 

Back on topic! 

Novatec are great for their price!

Hmmmm, no. That sort of life is typical for all my sealed bearing hubs. I don't expect more life than  that. Recently I've not been riding enough to wear them out.

In comparison to my angular contact bearing hubs, the Novatec and Hope hubs have never had bearings last as long. My Hopes are pretty old though so the shells and freebody have lasted well.

I think the answer lies in the condition of the tip of the 10 o-clock pawl.  That's hardened steel yet there definitely a crush mark on the tip.  My guess, when they removed the freewheel body to replace the bearing something bloody hard remained in the grease of the outer ring (did the bearing not perhaps collapse - because a ball could have done that).  When the freewheel body was replaced, it was only a matter of time before the pawl engaged on whatever was left behind, and because the clearance is so small, it pushed the pawl inwards and cracked the freebody.

Definately not the best quality piece - look at the peening around where the force will be applied by the pawl - and look at the crack imminent at about 5:30 on the ring - thoughts on those?

its clear force was applied. is the pawl jammed?

I've seen some older American classic freehubs where the pawl jammed and caused similar damage.

the other pitting marks and stress marks are likely due to a good hammering

What could have caused this damage to my free body? too much power ;-) or what. Oh yes the bearings were replaced 15 km before.attachicon.gif20160113075623.jpg

Something has been hammered that should not have been, look at the damage on the pawl on the left.

Definately not the best quality piece - look at the peening around where the force will be applied by the pawl - and look at the crack imminent at about 5:30 on the ring - thoughts on those?

I agree - for those pawls to push into the ring and create those crush marks means that material isn't great - far too soft.  It's difficult for me to comment though because I don't know bicycle failures well at all - someone who works in the industry will pick up the trends, so maybe as mentioned earlier this specific make has had issues before and it might well be a bad batch.  But, I still think that there is a link between the new bearing and the failure.  And that notch in the broken pawl....

In any event - whoever the Mechanic was who replaced the bearings, if those crush marks were evident when he took the body off - he really should have mentioned it to the OP

Ok, so here's a possibility - the material is way to soft.  Over time the pivot points of the pawls wear as we can see in the picture to a point that the pawls can over extend.  The broken pawl then hooks on the tooth of the outer ring (where the crush mark is - looks like a "v" doesn't it?), instead of in the recess, force is applied and instead of going through the pivot point, it goes through a line 90 degrees to the axle and fails as we see in the picture?

Archived