Flat Pedals vs Flat SPD Pedals vs SPD Pedals

AlanD

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this is what i have to work with: Mongoose pedals where one pin is missing on the one pedal and one pedal spins smoother than the other.

The whote show is a tennis shoe i use in the garden amd the other is a running shoe.

Use the tennis shoes, I've used worse and they were fine :) Pedals are more NB. Those pins are relatively short, so may not feel the best but otherwise look good. They're VERY similar to my old DMR V8's which I loved :D

I read the title and thought to myself "probably safer to discuss wheel size"

Lol..so far its been all good and unity amongst the replies

Looks good but you won't be able to bunny hop properly unless you are clipped in.

Just because you can't do it doesn't mean it's not possible :P

Looks good but you won't be able to bunny hop properly unless you are clipped in.

Have come to terms that in the beginning i will not be able to do some stuff as with being clipped in.

Re: bunny hop, would like to learn that on flats as then you really doing a proper bunny hop but me thinks thats gonna be hard so just getting through the trail in one peice is the goal:)

Um bunnyhopping clipped in is terrible form.

Show me one trials rider riding clipped in :P

I may just have been Friday trolled ;)

Um bunnyhopping clipped in is terrible form.

Show me one trials rider riding clipped in [emoji14]

I may just have been Friday trolled ;)

You've been schuksed

If you look over there and there you can see the hidden cameras.

Have come to terms that in the beginning i will not be able to do some stuff as with being clipped in.

Re: bunny hop, would like to learn that on flats as then you really doing a proper bunny hop but me thinks thats gonna be hard so just getting through the trail in one peice is the goal:)

I put flat pedals on my new bike last month and the issues I've had so far are the following:  (all due to bad habits / lack of skills).

1.  Riding up switchbacks is proving to be difficult.  I clearly relied on the up-stroke with cleats to get up switchbacks and am still trying to do it.

2.  Bunny Hops - I learnt to do bunny hops with cleats so completely the incorrect technique.  Just watch a few videos online and you will see how easily the guys to it.  At this point I can now bunny hop a stick, just need to practice more and progress to a log.

3.  Jumps / Drops.  My feet keep leaving the pedals in the air.  Also due to bad technique.  After watching a few videos to learn the proper technique I can now do small jumps without my feet leaving the pedals. 

Other than that, I really am enjoying the flat pedals.  Don't have the right shoes yet, but I do have a birthday coming up in 2 months and have already been throwing the hints :-)

I feel that I am finally learning to ride a bike properly and am loving it.

Archived