2016 motivation for getting lighter and faster

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vivek I was tempted...still a bit nervous on the road...the ride around Cedara was just as good...lots of challenging single track in the forest...some breath taking views as always on these MTB rides...and of course being in the right place at the right time...i had a bandage ;) ...some might say i carry way tooo much stuff...the way i see it...if i was out to win...light and basic would be the way to go...nothing like having to carry your bike back to the finish because of a simple chain link and no tools...even giving away my extra water bottle helped a person during the amashova.

• 2 weeks later...

so flippen bummed that i cant make it to the the Cape town cycle tour this year...gona start planning a little better for next year...we had to make the call this morning to cancel :(

so much for lighter and faster...i have managed to pile on weight at an alarming rate...112 kg today and climbing fast :(

My sister is visiting from the UK...what a motivation she is...she decides she wants to start cycling...i must admit i did chuckle...she mentioned she was doing the odd spinning class...a couple months later i see a pic of her holding her bike in front of the Eiffel tower...she had just finished cycling from London to Paris...with a fractured foot...injured during the ride.

We are busy trying to figue out how we can make it possible to get her here next year for the CTCT.

She wants to do the Haute route...mmm...sounds interesting...in 3 years time...if i start training now...wow i looked at the website...motivation to get me butt in gear...i would need to start training soon.

Hmm. It actually is, if you put the time in. This last week I've pre-made everything for the week's dinners. Breakfast has beeen 3 scrambled eggs and chilli sauce, lunch a little bit of cheese and then dinner is grilled chicken, veg & stampkoring. I cook EVERYTHING up front, refrigerate and then take out in the morning. Only meal I cook on the day is the scrambled eggs, and those can be done in the microwave very easily (30sec, stir. 30 sec, stir. 30 sec, stir) 

Eggs are DIRT cheap, for the protein & nutrients you get. You can shop around for decently priced cheese. Veg is cheap, and you don't need to go to WW for meat. It's half the price at checkers or Food Lovers or Oxford. 

You just have to stick with it, and cut out the snacking / pies / sandwiches etc. Can easily do a week's worth of food for approx R 200. Massive savings... 

Thank you for sharing your plan. I was looking for a few practical hints.

Please share your chilli sauce recipe. (Or do you buy a sauce)

How much sauce do you use for breakfast?

03a92ea8e02302333f0a989016450c8a.jpg

Instead of sitting in my room sulking today because i didnt get to ride the ctct...i decided to find a cool spot...feet up and read this book.

It just seems such a waste...all the effort i put in last year...5 week cadence class... 20 kg weight loss...5000+ km in the saddle.

I need to get my mind focused again and get back on track.

I went out for a few rides with my sister and she was a little surprised at the pace...i think she expected this old fat ballie to ride at 10 km/hr avg and walk up the steep hills [emoji6]

Good news for a change...it seems the little effort i have been putting in is paying off...the scale went down for the first time in months...110 kg this morning.

I decided to reach right to the bottom of my pocket for funds to invest in a pair of running shoes...did my first 5 km walk yesterday afternoon...those steep uphills stretch the legs muscles properly

1ec51537213abf4c48d86ff1c3460a94.jpg

Next step...a few short term and long term goals...

Fuel plan for the body...

Gonna mix up the riding...

Hood rides...as many as possible...

Try get down to the circuit in durban at least twice a week...

Mtb ride on the weekend...april has a full race calendar...try at least 1 x 40 km race per month...

An out ride on the road bike at least 1 day on the weekend.

5 km walks as often as possible...

It can't be that difficult to get below 100 kg...[emoji22]

Just remember to stretch after the running - works wonders. 

Also - how's the food rationing going? The 100kg mark is also a bugger for me. Been hovering between 105 & 108kg since Jan, but the stress of last month just meant I haven't been able to lose any of those previous kilos. Now back on the path as my dad is getting better... But it's taking a lot of work!

Well, I have been out of commission for the last few weeks. I was/am seriously ill and even had to have an emergency operation. Plus side is that my tummy looks alot flatter than before.

I need to still weigh myself to see the difference as I am now missing some parts.

So after not racing or riding in 4 years I am finally back on the bike, 

My goals for 2016 are as follows:

Dropping my weight back to 68-70kg (currently almost 80kg),

MTB Seeding down to under 30 (currently 55),

Picking up my average speed from 19km/h to 24-26km/h over 60km,

Kicking this disgusting smoking habit,

And complete my first Ultra Marathon without dying.

So far im down to 77kg, my seeding is still the same and I seem to relapse daily with smoking, 

But if all is accomplished I can get my new frame :clap:  A Santa Cruz Blur XC  :drool:

I wish everybody luck with the goals they have set for 2016 and beyond! 

post-4936-0-18446700-1457419971_thumb.jpg

Just remember to stretch after the running - works wonders. 

Also - how's the food rationing going? The 100kg mark is also a bugger for me. Been hovering between 105 & 108kg since Jan, but the stress of last month just meant I haven't been able to lose any of those previous kilos. Now back on the path as my dad is getting better... But it's taking a lot of work!

Good to hear your Dad is getting better Captain! Strongs with the weight challenge as the youf of today would say 

So after not racing or riding in 4 years I am finally back on the bike, 

My goals for 2016 are as follows:

Dropping my weight back to 68-70kg (currently almost 80kg),

MTB Seeding down to under 30 (currently 55),

Picking up my average speed from 19km/h to 24-26km/h over 60km,

Kicking this disgusting smoking habit,

And complete my first Ultra Marathon without dying.

So far im down to 77kg, my seeding is still the same and I seem to relapse daily with smoking, 

But if all is accomplished I can get my new frame :clap:  A Santa Cruz Blur XC  :drool:

I wish everybody luck with the goals they have set for 2016 and beyond! 

attachicon.gifSantacruzBlurXCCcelk_cl.jpg

re the smoking:  allen carr - class or the book.  

just do it.

Myles glad to hear your dad is on road to recovery...

By the way i walk dont run...while walking i try stretch my legs as much as possible.

This is what i like to hear...keep it up...lets get the motivation going...we all need it...there are too many negative things going on..

Prego...can that smoking...it is bad news...the first thing they ask when you arrive in ER...are you a smoker? Stay aware from all booze while you are trying to give up...the best way to give up...take the packet and throw it away and say enough is enough...like my junk food craving...it is all in the mind.

I am fighting the junk food craving...it is just as bad as smoking.

Impressed with my old man, he has been plodding along on his bike for years, done about 21 Argus's. Problem is their idea of training was constania nek once a week and the 90's fun ride in the Cape. He hovered around 92kg for ages, being over 6ft not noticeable.

I Signed both him and my mother up for DC with Pure Savage compact and they have been riding now twice during the work week and a long ride with the outriders on weekend. 

He has lost 6kg and down to like 84kg and took 20 minutes off his best time at the Argus klapping a 3:25 at 62 on his 21st argus! Mother also snuck in a 3:27 a day after her 60th :P

They really cannot believe its taken them this long to get this fit as they are enjoying their riding so much more being lighter and not out of breath the whole time. 

Great motivation to keep ticking away at the KM as it just gets more enjoyable!

I have 3 goals for this year...

Get below 100 kg and some

Achieve 30 seconds of the toaster challenge...avg of 700 watt for 30 seconds...i have managed 20 seconds at 760 watts so far...this is a lot more difficult than i thought.

To be the fastest 50 year old in any 1 of the segments around the circuit in durban...this is not going to be easy...there are some fast ballies out there with many more years cycling experience.

If jared could believe he would achieve a double everest in one day my goals Are nothing in comparison.

How am i going to achieve these goals...i might have to use the phone a friend option...i need to figue out a way to get deno to train me.

You gotta want it to win it [emoji1338]

Archived