[Event] Karoo To Coast

News bot

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Eddy has said, take it slow over the Wapad. If the road is full of "walkers", don't fret too much if you have to dismount also and walk up it, it will save your legs for later.

Be carefull going down the other side, it is rocky with lots of places to come up short. You can't "win" the race from here, but you can loose it. There is also enough places to make up time once you hit the open gravel roads, and if you saved your legs.

I would only start pushing it from Waterpoint 4, it is from there where most time is made up or lost.

Well put Eddy. Couldn't agree more. This is just one of those annual races that I want to do for at least another 5 years. It has everything to appeal to anyone who remotely enjoys any form of cycling. It is a "joll". I know there will be new thing to see this year. It is just the way it is the second time around. 

You only have two sections that you're worried about?  I've highlighted all of the sections that have the potential to be my downfall...

hahaha! Exactly what worries me as well.

And climbing meters?

I don't want to scare first time riders, but there are a few short but steep climbs on the long downhill through the forest between the top at 60km and the start of Simola.

If you have saved yourself, you can power over them in seconds, else you will have to grind up them in minutes.

Again, unless you are racing, Simola is like Suikerbossie at Agrus time, just a test of will power. Head down and keep going. you have done many longer and steeper rides in your life.

I have done this a few times now and although I am by no means a great climber, I managed 4.20ish last year on a dodgy 26er. It really isn't as scary as you think, because except for the wa pad and the first descent, it is on good roads where you can go for it. Actual climbing is about 1700m, of which 1200m is on the 4 main climbs. Just take it easy til about 40km and you will be fine! Enjoy, guys, a bit miffed to be missing out and such a lovely ride!

Archived