starting SS

jared

if you have advice i would appreciate

i am building a SS but not sure what gear ratio to run

i will be having a 32t up front what would be best at the rear?

was thinking 18?

thanks

Bike size will also be dependent on gearing (26 or 29er), as well as the terrain you will be riding.

Most will start 32x18 else 32x16 if much flatter and/or you are a strong rider

if you have advice i would appreciate

i am building a SS but not sure what gear ratio to run

i will be having a 32t up front what would be best at the rear?

was thinking 18?

thanks

26" or 29"

If you are a strong cyclist - then start on 34, 16 for 26" and 34 18 for 29er - if you are less strong, then slightly shorter gearing - but for Welkom where there aren't many hills you should be ok with those as a start.

Depends on so many things. Wheel size also affects gear ratio by the way.

Where are you based?

How strong are you?

What are you riding?

How well do you climb?

Do you prefer low or high cadence?

32/18 is a pretty good starting point. I run that on my Inbred( I think... might be 34/18). But there are guys riding the same terrain running 32/20 and other guys running 34/14, 

My suggestion is to look at the Rapide SS cogs, you can get a 16, 17, 18 and 20T, they're not too expensive and of course easy to change if you have a chain whip. 

I started with a 32/19 for single and jeep track.

I walked a lot in the beginning  as  I was very "sleg",  but I just kept going at it.

You get better and stronger with time.  

As everyone else mentioned,gearing will depend on what wheel size jou will be riding and what kind of terrain you will be riding.

I am on 26" single speed and run a 32/15 gear ratio,butt I see myself as a strong climber and would rather recomend 32/18 or 34/20 for starting out with.

You can change the cog size as you get stronger.

Use your geared bike to get your starting ratio.

Find the gearing you would be confident in using on the routes you intend to SS then drop by two at the back.

You are stronger than you think!

I've always had the same ratio and it's worked well for me

32x16 on my 26'er and now 32x18 on my 29'er

I've run out a little bit here and there on flats, but it's worked well for onj numerous trailseekers, SS worlds and a of couple SA SS champs.

How on earth did you puzzle out that he is building a MTB SS? From his gear ratio suggestion?

Wondered the same thing.

Wondered the same thing.

YES !!! Anybody that wants to put a 32/anything on a road bike needs to go and get burn his Gr2 school certificate

YES !!! Anybody that wants to put a 32/anything on a road bike needs to go and get burn his Gr2 school certificate

It's to build those sexy calves to go with the shaven legs :whistling: . Spinning like a monster!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Arw you building it from scratch? Ive been looking to get back.into bikes for a while now and the Fixed Cog has caught my attention, but I see its a fashion now...or have I been out of the riding game far too long?(13 years). Id like to build one but I was thinkibg of just buying one for like R2k and building from there...Ill watch this thread closely.

Archived