Drafting/Slipstreaming Mountain Biking

What are the best speeds, following distances for drafting on a mountain bike?

Does the road surface, hazards etc. play a roll?

Doesn't matter what surface you are on - the closer you are the better. Drafting is really only effective in to the wind or above about 20- 30 kmh. Wind resistance increases at the square of speed so as you go above 30kmh it really does start to make it easier if you draft someone.

You learn how to draft better by riding in road bunches as its more relevant in road riding. Also watch the wind direction and find where the bets spot to draft is - it may be to the sides of the rider in front.

Join a club and learn to ride in bunches - after that you never forget how to do it.

Doesn't matter what surface you are on - the closer you are the better. Drafting is really only effective in to the wind or above about 20- 30 kmh. Wind resistance increases at the square of speed so as you go above 30kmh it really does start to make it easier if you draft someone.

You learn how to draft better by riding in road bunches as its more relevant in road riding. Also watch the wind direction and find where the bets spot to draft is - it may be to the sides of the rider in front.

Join a club and learn to ride in bunches - after that you never forget how to do it.

You will have so much fun you will take up road cycling :P

You will have so much fun you will take up road cycling :P

....we ALL know you so badly want to fix a 720mm Flat bar to your stick insect ????

Edited by BRAND:O)N

With road bike, a ruler's length is recommended

I guess double that at least on the rougher surfaces, most suitably wide open gravel roads

Edited by ' Dale

Drafting on a mountain bike is like running in your dreams.

But its the idea that counts... Sticking to the guy in fronts wheel.

• 2 months later...

if your drafting on a mtb you should call yourself a dirt roadie.

those types should be shot in both knees