TUBBIES vs CLINCHER - How sensible on our roads?

Pete the Pirate

My wife said : wat? Ag nee man! Waar is jy? Nee ek ken nie daai pad nie. Nou moet ek alles waarmee ek besig is los om jou te kom haal. Waar is die fietsrak? Hier is niemand om my te help om daai swaar rak op die towbar te sit nie. Ek kan nie verstaan dat jy met wiele ry wat jy weet jy kan nie reg maak as hulle pap raak nie.

Hehehe

Get out those clinchers ????

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife said : wat? Ag nee man! Waar is jy? Nee ek ken nie daai pad nie. Nou moet ek alles waarmee ek besig is los om jou te kom haal. Waar is die fietsrak? Hier is niemand om my te help om daai swaar rak op die towbar te sit nie. Ek kan nie verstaan dat jy met wiele ry wat jy weet jy kan nie reg maak as hulle pap raak nie.

My mom said : ect...ect... ect....

Have 1 bike on gatorskin foldable clinchers and second bike on gatorskin tubbies. Tubbies ride better, especially in corners. I cannot say which puncture more as I hardly ever puncture. Carry a pressurised sealant cannister for back up with tubbies but never had to use it. You better hope writing this doesn'jinx me or I'll put a saddle sore spell on you! ;-)

Agreed, I don't puncture often so ride tubbies on one bike and clinchers on another. I carry a can of tyre repair but haven't used it yet. Also carry a spare tube, bomb and levers for the clinchers.

Get radical and embrace the future... Go Tubeless and run schwalbe one pro tyres. Great rolling resistance, tyres are a bit more (but reasonable if you shop online and overseas), can run great pressures. No tubes, no punctures, no worries cobber!

(Drops mic', gets coat, leaves)

Get radical and embrace the future... Go Tubeless and run schwalbe one pro tyres. Great rolling resistance, tyres are a bit more (but reasonable if you shop online and overseas), can run great pressures. No tubes, no punctures, no worries cobber!

(Drops mic', gets coat, leaves)

Good future thinking. Been riding tubeless offroad for years, a sensible consideration. Thanks  :) .

A mate of mine just bought the new Shimano tubless road wheels with Conti Gatorskin tyres .

Does it work the same as MTB tubless ?? Stans and off you go ?

I have carbon clinchers for training and carbon tubbies for racing. The Bora tubbies feel like you are riding on a blade, although I must admit that my old tubby Zipp 404's were better wheels. I carry a spare tubby in the races as well as sealant. Try the sealant first, if that doesn't work, then change the tire. The spare tire must have some glue on the seam which has been applied and left to dry. Sealant and latex tubes don't go too well together, although latex inner tubes in tubbies are supposed to roll a lot better. I had some Vredenstein tubbies and the sealant wrecked the tubes inside.

I agree that the tubbies appear to wear faster. You can do about ten races on one tubby for the rear tire. Front tire wear is not an issue.

It is possible to repair punctures with tubbies, I have done this before. Takes about an hour to repair a gatorskin tubby. Got to pull the seam off the stitching, unpick the stitching, patch the tube and sew it up again using the same thread pattern, then glue the seam back onto the stitching. Make sure when you sew the tire again you don't puncture the tube with the needle.

One thing that is noticeable about tubbies is that they are pretty much immune to snake bite punctures. This is a big thing in the bunch, you cannot avoid all potholes. With a tubby I can ride through potholes at high speed that the clincher would never survive.

Edited by martinpe

I run tubeless for mtb - have been for years. Perfect tyre choice for mtb.

But I run clinchers for road - won't ever change. For me, the right tyre choice for road.

To add (as others have said): for road, just go wider tyre (25mm) and wide rim. Makes all the difference.

Edited by tombeej

Folks are talking about tubeless Gatorskins. You don't race with Gatorskins, do you?

As someone once said, "Racing on gatorskins is like trying to run a race in wellington boots".

I race with tubby gatorskins. They are different tread pattern to clincher gatorskins. I would not agree that they are poor. It is noticeable when you ride on the rollers with the race wheels (tubby gatorskins) and normal wheels (clinchers gatorskins or similar) for the same effort the speed is 2 to 3 km/h faster.

The rollers accentuate rolling resistance differences because they are round and not flat like the road, so this doesn't translate into 2 to 3 km hour on road, but the point is the tubby gatorskins are not too bad.

It is no good having the fastest and slickest tires if they cannot survive the race. I used to race with clincher Vittoria Diamante Pro Light, these tires felt awesome and super fast but could not ride over a peanut without puncturing.

Edited by martinpe

Buy a good set of CKT clinchers for training (someone of the HUB was trying to sell a set for really cheap :ph34r:  :whistling:  :whistling: )
Just means you dont get stranded somewhere you would rather not be...

Buy a good set of CKT clinchers for training (someone of the HUB was trying to sell a set for really cheap :ph34r: :whistling: :whistling: )

Just means you dont get stranded somewhere you would rather not be...

Ambush marketing on a Friday month end

Strategic

Sies man

Hehehe

Folks are talking about tubeless Gatorskins. You don't race with Gatorskins, do you?

As someone once said, "Racing on gatorskins is like trying to run a race in wellington boots".

Hahahaha quote of the day!

A mate of mine just bought the new Shimano tubless road wheels with Conti Gatorskin tyres .

Does it work the same as MTB tubless ?? Stans and off you go ?

You should still run Tubeless specific tyres if you run them as tubeless. As per most manufacturers recommendations.

Otherwise principle is exactly the same, Tubeless Rim + Tubeless Tyre + Sealant = Less Admin

If you hit a snag that a tube will not solve, you were up **** creek anyway.

I am reading now on Google about tubular Gatorskins and they don't really get good write-ups. So maybe there is something faster. The main issue with my tubular wheels is that I want a tire that will last longer and is puncture resistant, as the tubular's are so expensive. I cannot afford to buy a new tire every three races and puncture every third race as well.