1x11 or not

JeremyCPT

Hi,

I'm considering a 1x11 XT Shimano drive chain set up. 

Currently on a 27.5 Scott 710 - 2 (38/24) x10 (11/36) setup. What would be the closest configuration I would need. Seldom use the granny gear,

Thank you.  

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Currently on a 27.5 Scott 710 - 2 (38/24) x10 (11/36) setup. What would be the closest configuration I would need. Seldom use the granny gear,

Thank you.  

34T chainring with 11-46T cassette.

Hi,

Thank you.  

You should be fine with 34T and 11-42.  That is my setup with a oval upfront and it has been going good for the last 18months

If you're able to climb jonkershoek and/or helderberg trails to the top with that setup you have legs of steel!

I don't need to go there.....  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :whistling:

But on a serious note, I have been on a MTB for a month now. First proper machine for me. 

As soon as the casette needs replacing, Ill do the rapide 1x11 upgrade kit. just for incase. 

So my old 3x drivetrain is pretty poked and I'm looking at replacing with a 1x11 setup. There are 2 entry level options I'm looking at:

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/shimano-xt-m8000-11spd-upgrade-kit

http://www.rapide.co.za/product/rapide-1-x-11-bundle/

Does any body have any strong opinions/experience with either sets? I'm not the biggest sram fan tbh, but it's a bit cheaper. I've also heard that the sunrace cassette is not that durable. 

Also, the bike I'm upgrading is a scott scale 940 which has a shimano hollowtech 68mm BB in the front with Deore xt cranks, and hope evo hubs at the back. If I go the shimano route, is it a pretty straightforward conversion or does one need spacers and adaptors and, well, lots of fiddling?

thanks in advance for any help.  

NicGM, I have the Rapide / SRAM kit on my bike, and it works flawlessly.

Dunno where you heard that the Sunrace cassette is not that durable, I've done more than 3000km on mine (and not all of that on dirtroads, it includes a stage race or two) and it is still perfect. I'm on my 2nd new chain, but cassette is still perfect.

NicGM, I have the Rapide / SRAM kit on my bike, and it works flawlessly.

Dunno where you heard that the Sunrace cassette is not that durable, I've done more than 3000km on mine (and not all of that on dirtroads, it includes a stage race or two) and it is still perfect. I'm on my 2nd new chain, but cassette is still perfect.

Thanks, good to know!

So my old 3x drivetrain is pretty poked and I'm looking at replacing with a 1x11 setup. There are 2 entry level options I'm looking at:

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/shimano-xt-m8000-11spd-upgrade-kit

http://www.rapide.co.za/product/rapide-1-x-11-bundle/

Does any body have any strong opinions/experience with either sets? I'm not the biggest sram fan tbh, but it's a bit cheaper. I've also heard that the sunrace cassette is not that durable.

Also, the bike I'm upgrading is a scott scale 940 which has a shimano hollowtech 68mm BB in the front with Deore xt cranks, and hope evo hubs at the back. If I go the shimano route, is it a pretty straightforward conversion or does one need spacers and adaptors and, well, lots of fiddling?

thanks in advance for any help.

That Shimano XT 1x11 upgrade kit is not entry level ..... it is def. superior to the SRAM NX options except that the 11-46 and 10-42 cassette options on the SRAM kit offer wider gear range than the Shimano 11-42 cassette. The 10-42 cassette would require you to purchase a new XD hub driver for your Hope hubs so it drives the cost up a lot.

Shimano also now offers SLX 1x11 which should be less expensive.

The chain offered with that XT kit is not the XT chain if that is an issue.

I would go with the Shimano kit. Price is lowest I've seen since they came out. If you ride hilly terrain or you are not racing fit then consider upgrading the kit to the 11-46 cassette.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

That CWC price is pretty darn good even in CRC price terms. i ordered the same upgrade kit with the 11-46 from CRC and after customs etc it was only R350 rondts cheaper.

That Shimano XT 1x11 upgrade kit is not entry level ..... it is def. superior to the SRAM NX options except that the 11-46 and 10-42 cassette options on the SRAM kit offer wider gear range than the Shimano 11-42 cassette. The 10-42 cassette would require you to purchase a new XD hub driver for your Hope hubs so it drives the cost up a lot.

Shimano also now offers SLX 1x11 which should be less expensive.

The chain offered with that XT kit is not the XT chain if that is an issue.

I would go with the Shimano kit. Price is lowest I've seen since they came out. If you ride hilly terrain or you are not racing fit then consider upgrading the kit to the 11-46 cassette.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks, yeah the price is pretty damn good. OK so just to be clear (and this agrees with what I've read elsewhere so far) for the shimano 11x42 (or 11x46) I would not need a new hub driver? From what I've read I would only need the spacer that comes with the hope hubs.