YT Bikes in S.A

Beer4Recovery

I was just saying to my wife how ridiculous MTBing is becoming.... And some people happily pay these prices? I see new bikes with RS1 forks all over the bloody place, next to new top of the line Cannondale and Specialized bikes.. Am I missing something? Am I not earning enough? Do people finance their purchases?

I live on the garden route, a MTB Mecca. But sheesh.... I don't know what I'll do when my Scott Spark eventually goes vrot. No ways I can justify the price for a similarly specced bike.

It'll begin to feel like living in Cuba... Just maintaining old buggered up bicycles instead of cars.

I'm going back to racing Enduro motorbikes. It's cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Things have gone crazy. I paid R2 350 in 1994 for a new Giant Hard tail and R15k for a new 100mm XT marathon bike in 2005. In 2013 I paid R25k for a 150mm enduro bike.  Then I bought a discount frame for R11k.  That still seemed normal, or sort of. Now the bike i'd need to replace mine with to get similar performance is probably north of R70k and its easy to pay R40k just for a frame (Pyga Stage for instance).

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dirkieuys

I was just saying to my wife how ridiculous MTBing is becoming.... And some people happily pay these prices? I see new bikes with RS1 forks all over the bloody place, next to new top of the line Cannondale and Specialized bikes.. Am I missing something? Am I not earning enough? Do people finance their purchases?

I live on the garden route, a MTB Mecca. But sheesh.... I don't know what I'll do when my Scott Spark eventually goes vrot. No ways I can justify the price for a similarly specced bike.

It'll begin to feel like living in Cuba... Just maintaining old buggered up bicycles instead of cars.

I'm going back to racing Enduro motorbikes. It's cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have done just that, riding enduro mx bikes again and it's much cheaper. Miss bicycles but I just can't afford it.

• 2 weeks later...

YT Jeffsy AL Comp2 decked out with some cSixx goodies!

Whats the cSixx mudguard like?

Whats the cSixx mudguard like?

Does the job well of keeping dirt out of your eyes :) 

Does the job well of keeping dirt out of your eyes :)

It looks really cool. I want one:-)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A friend of managed to have a Capra for the weekend ... what a lovely bike, and the support from the agents to arrange the bike for her to test was excellent.

She still wants to look at a couple of other options, but the Capra is no. 1 on the list at the moment.

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Now with the ZAR strengthening, do you think we will see a price drop in the range?

Are we expecting a sale towards the end of March again?