YT Bikes in S.A

Beer4Recovery

Yea I will just go full into my bodyboarding again if my bike konks in.Wife will cut my nuts off if I tell her these prices.

Yip.  Saw what wetsuits cost nowadays, compared to my old Reef, but my Rheopaipo is still in good nick, so even at a R4k investment it's a bargain.  Can't even get wheels for that !!!!!

I'm often embarrased when people who are interested in the sport ask me what decent bikes cost.  It really is ridiculous. 

But as I said, people pay with a smile so it won't change.  We are unfortunately the poor people who can no longer afford to pay the rates and taxes in their gentrified neighbourhood.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking about getting a Capra CF Comp to greet me in NZ as a "welcome to your new home" gift.

the NZ pricing is about the same as the SA pricing when converted... so that Capra will more than likely become a dirt bike.

THAT is how you know bike pricing has gone crazy... when one starts thinking about dirt bikes as a more affordable option  :ph34r: :lol:

If my current bike breaks here is no way I'll be on a whole new bike at those prices. My current bike is cobbed together with old parts, second hand rims, old stock frame etc which is still possible if you keep your eyes open... 

Trail running is a much cheaper option and there's always road riding if you live in CT with the views. Since Tokai has been closed and lost its trees, being on the road aint so bad..

any idea if a frameset is available separately?

Unlikely. YT's (and Canyon's) business model is based on selling well specced complete bikes for what was a reasonable price. Before the rand hit the deck harder than a granny on a cruise ship, if one added up the RRP on the components of the YT, then the frame actually worked out free (or close to free).

So yeah, I doubt they'll be selling framesets on their own, anytime soon.

i reckon the AL Comp2 is decent bang for the buck with a Pike and a dropper post , also 2 x 11 setup.

On a related note, does anyone know where I can insure my bike for it's value in euros?

Compenduim will insure your bike at replacment value last time I checked but you gona pay.

Capra AL is is where it's at. It's the cheapest, but there isn't skimping anywhere. Damn good spec for the price.

Compenduim will insure your bike at replacment value last time I checked but you gona pay.

I think most insurers will insure for replacement value. My bikes are all insured for replacement.

BUT I think what Sidewinder is asking is can he link that replacement value to a Euro price, in stead of phoning his insurer after every Zuma-ism to preempt how his bike's rand value is about to rocket.

Any real reason the AL Comp 2 is more expensive than the AL Comp 1?

Typing error maybe?

comp 2 is a 2x, comp 1 is a 1x. Extra componentry, that's all afaik. All other bits are the same EXCEPT the fork, which is Lyrik on the 1 and Pike on the 2. But afaik those cost the same anyway. 

FD

Shifter

different guide

different crank (2x vs 1x)

Archived