Constantia Greenbelt Trail news and updates

Bicyclegear

Ya, thats a good option. I also walk dogs and ride bikes to Lower Tokai. The problem cyclists are again the groups and the ones who seem to think this is a bona fide training track and ride too fast. I once saw a guy ride multiple laps at pace - and this was before Tokai was burned out! This isn't a proper mountain bike venue at all - its a family recreational area and everyone needs to treat it as such.

what??it's not even mtb to be honest

I'd be happy for a 20km/h speedlimit to be put on the lower tokai hard track, would keep all the boyracers out.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm keen on doing a lunchtime ride because I work in the area.

I dont know the area too well though so would appreciate some tips or guidance.

If I were to park at the Virgin Active gym, do I just make my way to Peddlers via the road or is there another entrance point to the greenbelt trail network? And then do I just follow the trail? Is there signage? 

If I were to park at the Virgin Active gym, do I just make my way to Peddlers via the road or is there another entrance point to the greenbelt trail network? And then do I just follow the trail? Is there signage? 

If you're parking at VA, go over the road, not down Constantia Main. Up Brommersvlei Road, and then left at Southern Cross Drive, Left into Silverhurst. Green belt starts at the bottom of Silverhurst road (cul de sac)

Go OVER the bridge, and ride to your left. Cycling is only allowed on the other side of the bridge.

That trail will come out at Constantia Main. Go over Constantia Main and continue on that trail. That will come out at the back of Peddlars. Go over Spaanschemat river road, and continue on the trail. And so on. 

Rather park at Peddlars, ride up the dirt lane away from Peddlars past the riding school and continue onto Brouger Lane, until it takes a sharp left, at this point look right there's a gap to drop back into the greenbelt across a wooden bridge, follow the trail up to Constantia Main Road. Cross the road (Carefully!) and continue up the green belt (there is a path in the middle ad one on the right, keep to the main one in the middle. Ride all the way up until you get to a clump of pines, the path will bend around left and run next to Silverhurst Estate and their fancy lawn tennis court...keep going but watch near the top for a sharp right and small wooden bridge...go across and onto the road, climb all the way to the top of Silverhurst Drive until it meets Southern Cross. Cross over and follow the path up. There is a broad open section here and you can keep going up next the main road until you get to Rhodes Drive and the entry to the new trail OR turn left EDIT:OOPS RIGHT! at the power station at the top of this broad section, between the houses. This is the return loop so better to go up Southern Cross. When you get near the intersection with Rhodes Drive, there is a small set of stairs on the right, drop in and away you go, follow the signs!

Thanks Myles and capediver. Going to give it a go later this week! 

I had every intention of trying it out today. I prepared all my gear last night and put my bike on the bike rack.

I was about halfway to work this morning when I realized that i forgot my gear bag at home....

Thanks Myles and capediver. Going to give it a go later this week! 

I had every intention of trying it out today. I prepared all my gear last night and put my bike on the bike rack.

I was about halfway to work this morning when I realized that i forgot my gear bag at home....

Return line:

Entry at the top of Southern Cross/Rhodes Drive will take you down the trail until it splits after two road crossings, keep right, the trail to the left is closed to bikes. This brings you to the bottom of a helse climb (short though!) up Ave Beauvais. When it T's with Rathfelder,loop, cross directly over into a small green belt, drop down and cut across the green belt back over Rathfelder loop and out at the start of Picardie, climb until you see a gate, through the gate, along the lane (shhhhhh along here...neighbours complain about echoes!) and exit at the aforementioned power station in Southern Cross, then just follow your route back down, crossing Southern Cross and going down to the bottom of Silverhurst Drive and back onto the green belt, back down to Peddlars....! Lekka!

Return line:

Entry at the top of Southern Cross/Rhodes Drive will take you down the trail until it splits after two road crossings, keep right, the trail to the left is closed to bikes. This brings you to the bottom of a helse climb (short though!) up Ave Beauvais. When it T's with Rathfelder,loop, cross directly over into a small green belt, drop down and cut across the green belt back over Rathfelder loop and out at the start of Picardie, climb until you see a gate, through the gate, along the lane (shhhhhh along here...neighbours complain about echoes!) and exit at the aforementioned power station in Southern Cross, then just follow your route back down, crossing Southern Cross and going down to the bottom of Silverhurst Drive and back onto the green belt, back down to Peddlars....! Lekka!

I'll definitely be doing it your way next time, T. 

I'll definitely be doing it your way next time, T.

Eyes open for:

Silverhurst belt - horses, loose dogs especially the rottweiler twins, poo, the horsey water trap thingy swamp like feature in the middle after the rain, kids....my mates dad..jokes he's OK!

Trailhead down to Ave Beauvais- foot traffic to taxi routes

All road crossings- Taxis especially Southern Cross

Brouger lane -horses, chickens and kids

Pedlars - dronkies!

Enjoy!

Eyes open for:

Silverhurst belt - horses, loose dogs especially the rottweiler twins, poo, the horsey water trap thingy swamp like feature in the middle after the rain, kids....my mates dad..jokes he's OK!

Trailhead down to Ave Beauvais- foot traffic to taxi routes

All road crossings- Taxis especially Southern Cross

Brouger lane -horses, chickens and kids

Pedlars - dronkies!

Enjoy!

Yeah, I always take other users into consideration... Doggie walkers & horses especially, given the unpredictability of them when seeing "new" things. 

That Peddlars lane is a bit dodge after dark btw. Got caught out by badlight stopping play.

Snot dronk Hoity toities falling in jags to be avoided at all costs cos besides being dronk they blind too

I have an alternative which takes you up Wynberg Hill, under the M3 below the reservoir and up a nice big piece of barely used public open space into Bishops Court where the roads are always quiet and you may see a Ferrari or two. Its a bit of a rude warm up but does have the advantage of gaining altitude quickly. From there its easy to get to Rhodes Drive.

This is indeed a lovely piece of open land, great to ride up or down. And it's very, very quiet. The existing footpaths here make for good riding.

Rode it from bottom to top and down again today. Enjoyed seeing bits of Constantia I've never seen before. Was very quiet, but I can see the very real possibility of conflict between the different user groups. Especially in the paddocks area behind Peddlars, where we encountered several kiddies on horseback. Slow down to a near standstill please, you don't want to spook a horse and cause an accident that could cost us that link. The sign at the Southern Cross drive entrance summed it up perfectly. Do the right thing, and play by the rules. Please! 

post-17716-0-13295800-1455544895_thumb.jpg

Rode it from bottom to top and down again today. Enjoyed seeing bits of Constantia I've never seen before. Was very quiet, but I can see the very real possibility of conflict between the different user groups. Especially in the paddocks area behind Peddlars, where we encountered several kiddies on horseback. Slow down to a near standstill please, you don't want to spook a horse and cause an accident that could cost us that link. The sign at the Southern Cross drive entrance summed it up perfectly. Do the right thing, and play by the rules. Please! 

That paddock area is a road and has never been off limits to cyclists. Its a no brainer - just watch out for other people and horses and cars as you would on the road...no chance of losing the link, but possibly getting sued if you cause a stampede, maybe :-)

That paddock area is a road and has never been off limits to cyclists. Its a no brainer - just watch out for other people and horses and cars as you would on the road...no chance of losing the link, but possibly getting sued if you cause a stampede, maybe :-)

Understood!

I was just worried that some crazy freak will think it is a good idea to fly through there at 35 km/h when the little kiddies are riding, or the riding for the disabled people are there. I can only see that ending in tears, or lawsuits, as you said.

Just came back from walking the Alphen trail. I know it's off limits but there are some nice loops for a mtb

Ok stay on the legal trails!!!

Archived