Constantia Greenbelt Trail news and updates

Bicyclegear

Its on the verge of the road and not on private property. Its also not a green belt and I think the track has been created by bikers, nobody else. So the question is actually - is it legal for bipeds or just bikes? The latter only I recon :-)

Where exactly is this?

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can now ride from just after Top Gate Kirstenbosch the whole way to the start of the Diep river/Southern Cross green belt, off road!

From Top Gate head along Rhodes and then drop into the pedestrian gate on the section of Kirstenbosch below the road. Turn right immediately and follow the track/fence line. This turns into some sweet single track complete with wooden bridges with chicken wire where needed, a bit of flow and some nice little descents before curving round and down into a nice natural trail before exiting at the lower pedestrian gate. From here a short climb back onto Rhodes.

This trail was apparently built by the Kirstenbosch manager who is a keen biker. It is multi-use and there is a sign half way along indicating the MTB route ( a steep ramp) and the steps for the walkers. Other than that there is no official signage save for the old ones which prohibit cycling.  I am not sure what the status is of the steep/fast tracks that run through the middle of this land. 

From here you follow the verge of Rhodes Drive for about 300m until it starts descending to the big sweeping corner. There is a large gum tree on the left side of the road. Turn left down a steepish ramp and follow the trail through the gums. There is a small waterway at the bottom that requires a manual. Follow this trail up Rhodes Drive. Its narrow and quite soft in places but will improve with time. It returns briefly to the tar about half way up before returning to the forest at the side after crossing a side road. Keep right as you enter the dirt jump area and follow the track as it curves to join the Diep River Trail midway between the start and the exit of the berm section.

Can this be ridden in reverse as well?  IE - ride from Tokai to the top the the greenbelts and then carry on off road to the top Kirstenbosch gate?

You can now ride from just after Top Gate Kirstenbosch the whole way to the start of the Diep river/Southern Cross green belt, off road!

From Top Gate head along Rhodes and then drop into the pedestrian gate on the section of Kirstenbosch below the road. Turn right immediately and follow the track/fence line. This turns into some sweet single track complete with wooden bridges with chicken wire where needed, a bit of flow and some nice little descents before curving round and down into a nice natural trail before exiting at the lower pedestrian gate. From here a short climb back onto Rhodes.

This trail was apparently built by the Kirstenbosch manager who is a keen biker. It is multi-use and there is a sign half way along indicating the MTB route ( a steep ramp) and the steps for the walkers. Other than that there is no official signage save for the old ones which prohibit cycling.  I am not sure what the status is of the steep/fast tracks that run through the middle of this land. 

From here you follow the verge of Rhodes Drive for about 300m until it starts descending to the big sweeping corner. There is a large gum tree on the left side of the road. Turn left down a steepish ramp and follow the trail through the gums. There is a small waterway at the bottom that requires a manual. Follow this trail up Rhodes Drive. Its narrow and quite soft in places but will improve with time. It returns briefly to the tar about half way up before returning to the forest at the side after crossing a side road. Keep right as you enter the dirt jump area and follow the track as it curves to join the Diep River Trail midway between the start and the exit of the berm section.

That sounds amazing!

Saw this on FB as well: https://www.facebook.com/groups/171385773234522/

13765658_10153586337675248_6699898496701

Would you perhaps have a strava recording of this please?

Is this the entrance you are referring to?

And this joins up with the Diep River trail? Below the Berms?

post-3269-0-25730400-1468927662_thumb.jpg

Is this the entrance you are referring to?

And this joins up with the Diep River trail? Below the Berms?

Eventually, yes.

That's Headshot - Tim Price. 

Ah. Another 'Hub name vs Real Name' penny drop moment.

Awesome. How would the green belt be holding up in this weather?

Or would it be better not to ride?

Ah. Another 'Hub name vs Real Name' penny drop moment.

Splat, Splat, what kind of a name is that ? :-)

A bit damp but not a mud bath bar the flatter areas along the M3 where there are a few mud holes forming this winter. Rather today than tomorrow judging by the weather forecast...

Just back from my ride some muddy spots but nothing to drastic....

Thanks to Tony Makin for donating the cement slabs I went and stuck them in on my own...really a 2 man job but it'll do for the time being...once i get some pipe i'll put it in next to the existing blue pipe and it'll be be more secure .also need someone to lift the slabs so i can put in some more soil under some of the slabs to level them.

it was awesome in yesterdays rain and empty too

its definitely better higher up though even with the slippery roots

coming down resulted my coming home covered in muck from head to toe

great fun :thumbup:

Archived