Noob looking for routes and riding partners

Monique1992

Good evening everyone!

So I've been riding for about a month. I enjoy mountain biking more than being on the road but fitness is important on the trails so I'm on the road alot more.

I'm from moreleta park in Pretoria and I'm looking for good routes to finish in an hour or less. I need good routes more than I need a riding partner!

Please advise on routes and group rides in the area.

Good evening everyone!

So I've been riding for about a month. I enjoy mountain biking more than being on the road but fitness is important on the trails so I'm on the road alot more.

I'm from moreleta park in Pretoria and I'm looking for good routes to finish in an hour or less. I need good routes more than I need a riding partner!

Please advise on routes and group rides in the area.

Wolwespruit at Kloof Hospital is a brilliant option, it can get a bit technical, but as long as you keep clear of the Black sections you should be fine. Entry fee is R30, which is very reasonable. You can get a great workout in an hour on their trails

Groenkloof is another good option, haven't been there in ages but it used to be great fun.

Groenkloof is another good option, haven't been there in ages but it used to be great fun.

Go ride there if you've a good life insurance + hospital cover + bike insurance and willing to test the payout system of the insurance-company....

I have heard that these options are a bit tough and as someone who rides alone this might be a bit challenging. I am also female on top of everything else so I don't want to test my ability to fend off hijackers or falling and breaking unnecessary bones.

I have heard that these options are a bit tough and as someone who rides alone this might be a bit challenging. I am also female on top of everything else so I don't want to test my ability to fend off hijackers or falling and breaking unnecessary bones.

Monique - how far are you from Rosemary Hill  - i haven't been in a while but the full route is about 22k m - at about 10km there's an option to turn back. 

the first 10km i'm quite comfortable riding on my own - as i get further from the base i feel a bit vulnerable, once you cross the public road onto the other farm - but riding with my partner we've never really had any issues.

in terms of anything scary / technical - all the difficult stuff (and fun stuff tbh ) comes in the last half - nothing you can't walk . 

if you're after distance doing the 10km loop a few times might be an option. 

Monique there is a group of us that ride Klapperkop and a WhatsApp group has been set up to coordinate our rides so that we ride in groups for safety reasons. If you're interested drop me a PM with your cell no and I'll include you in the WhatsApp group.

The Big Red Barn FTW

They now have almost 40km of track. Quite a few km at the back end is flowing single track through the trees, and if you are feeling brave, you can try the burms and bridges. I have no problem riding alone there, it's private land.

As for a training route, the best way is to work out one for yourself, starting at home. See what roads work for you and what doesn't. Took me a few months to work my 40km training route. Other days I mix and match.

There are the PEMBIS (Pretoria East MTB) you could join. Search on Facebook and Strava for them. A lot of the members reside in Moreleta and ride in that area. They also do rides at Rosemarry Hill and even ride out to Cullinan sometimes. A bunch of friendly people them PEMBIS. Always willing to assist with advice\routes\setup\skill etc...

After today I am skeptic of riding with noobs. You forget that you need to be more vigalent riding with noobs. 

Not doing so has cost me a broken Clavicle and now 10 days off due to a knee that is ISM with stitches etc.

After today I am skeptic of riding with noobs. You forget that you need to be more vigalent riding with noobs. 

Not doing so has cost me a broken Clavicle and now 10 days off due to a knee that is ISM with stitches etc.

Sorry to hear Dick! Hope you heal up quick and there's no lingering issues!

Everyone is a beginner at some point. The only way to extend and share the love of cycling is to make everyone who is keen welcome! So unfortunate that you had a mishap at the hands of someone new. Accidents are just that. They're certainly not deliberate or planned! You are completely human to feel as frustrated as you do because of where you are right now dude! Again, hope the healing is quicker than you think it will be!

• 1 month later...

Hi Monique, can recommend Rosemary Hill (inside trail, not sure about across the road alone). Big Red Barn also a good/safe place. But try to find a group. Solo rides can be dangerous, apart from muggings, you also run the risk of an injury and it's good to have someone around to assist. Happy riding ????

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Monique

There use to be a ladies mtb group that rodein pta east on tuesdays from Single Track cyclling at hazeldean, perhaps give them a call it should still be on.

My wife used to ride there before we had kids but I remember her making good friends in this group, she might even still have some numbers if you are really keen.

BTW she is now into running as it takes up much less time. Kids are so darn impatient..

Good luck!