[Event] Fine Breede MTB

Carlen

never ever thought of staying over, always just drove up the morning of the race & back to Cape Town afterwards. But I guess anywhere on the other side of the tunnel will be better than driving from Cape Town. It's about a 2 hour trip.

Yeah but where, it be cool if we could camp at the venue. Also if  you're wanting to do the night ride you have to kind of stay somewhere a bit closer. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah but where, it be cool if we could camp at the venue. Also if you're wanting to do the night ride you have to kind of stay somewhere a bit closer.

sorry I can't help you with places to stay. google is yor friend.

Yeah but where, it be cool if we could camp at the venue. Also if you're wanting to do the night ride you have to kind of stay somewhere a bit closer.

Slanghoek is your best option imo. Nearby and very nice campsite. Venue is a school so I dont think camping is an option

I am there. 30km for me, and then lots and lots of beer. You okes can suffer on the 60km.

??? What happened to JB?,..Jy was altyd die duiwel in die kinder bybel?,..nou lees ek Tinkerbell rubbish hier....?

Long route on Fine Breede has never been hard, even this new one seems pretty easy. I have done quite a few.

don't want to hijack that other thread any further, so you say the new route takes us on the other side of the river. I'll be honest I have no inclination of how the route runs exactly despite this being my 3rd one. Will analyze it on strava (map) afterwards so to give me a sense of location/direction. You seem to know that area well so will Seem like 2nd nature to you by foreign to me. Plus side I spoke to one of the ladies & she reckons we don't physically ride through any rivers but across a bridge, twice.

I also don't remember any river crossings. I always find this event to be great fun and rather tough!!

Agree, not sure I'm with Rouxenator on the "Fine Breede has never been hard". For me it has always been challenging for a 50km route, some decent climbs in there...

Still no answer from anybody of the organisers about the apparent shortcut on the 30km route.

Agree, not sure I'm with Rouxenator on the "Fine Breede has never been hard". For me it has always been challenging for a 50km route, some decent climbs in there...

Skubarra, Rouxenator rides his mtb from Stellenbosch to Veldrift...no jokes,..the oke is a machine

Hi. 

The sissy route is open only for the last few strugglers of the 30 km. You don't have to worry about it if you are not looking death in the eye up Boesmanskop .

Slanghoek Louis

Just another answer for you. 

The 60km you cross the Breede river at Hugoskraal and the the Witteriver just before Bergsig cellar. 

Hugoskraal has a cement bridge and the Witteriver crossing is a single track bridge.

Slanghoek Louis

Hi. 

The sissy route is open only for the last few strugglers of the 30 km. You don't have to worry about it if you are not looking death in the eye up Boesmanskop .

Slanghoek Louis

Thx Louis.

I just wanted clarity in case some of the racing snakes make use of the shortcut.  My son will be hoping for a top 10 in that race.  I just was not sure how that would have worked, but that seems fine.  I will probably be mid-pack, and will hope to do the 30 in about 1h50.  I have been training the Steilte red route a few times, so I 'should' be good.

Next year I will tackle the long one.  Right now, my back will complain bitterly if I tackle it this year.

Edited by Moridin

Please note that the 30 km route is very demanding en technical.  Not and really not for a novice or beginner.  We do ride the route alot so it is not difficult anymore cause of experiences. 

Just one really good tip going in the tech stuff is to lock up in front.  It really helps as you shall see.  We do it all the time and payed off many times. 

Don't worry about the steep side slopes as Riaan Botha built that section before the devastating fire and the side slopes were covered by vegetation,  blinding it's steepness from you. 

Slanghoek Louis