Emperors Classic 2016 (road)

Dexter-morgan

Nice training race in VB - lekker fast and safe.   Enjoyed the new route!!

Well done ASG!

Agree, Race well organised, Only issue we had was at around 80 km(I think) we had the polo than turned left from a slipway and was inside the bunch for a while. I almost lost it just before the last left hander due to some lumps in road I did not expect while trying to get closer to the front and actually lost about 30 places as our whole bunch came to the line.

Happy with my time and fact that the bunch rode quite safe at those speeds.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also had a good ride in VA. Loved that flying feeling pretty much the entire race.

Just one thing, is there anywhere on the hub where we can name and shame litterbugs who chuck their wrappers out on the road during a race instead of simply putting it back in their pockets?

First race of size since 2008. Happy with my time even though I cracked at about 75km (I think). I was lucky as 2 gents helped me get in in my best time ever.

Saw 2 falls. One was a BMW that ignored the MPD and marshalls and rode into a rider and the other was the rider close to Vosloorus.

Overall a very nice race.

Agree, Race well organised, Only issue we had was at around 80 km(I think) we had the polo than turned left from a slipway and was inside the bunch for a while. I almost lost it just before the last left hander due to some lumps in road I did not expect while trying to get closer to the front and actually lost about 30 places as our whole bunch came to the line.

Happy with my time and fact that the bunch rode quite safe at those speeds.

Had a few of those but really that is all on the driver, no officials, organisers or traffic officials can be held responsible for that

First race of size since 2008. Happy with my time even though I cracked at about 75km (I think). I was lucky as 2 gents helped me get in in my best time ever.

Saw 2 falls. One was a BMW that ignored the MPD and marshalls and rode into a rider and the other was the rider close to Vosloorus.

Overall a very nice race.

was that the one at the cbr of Northrand and pretoria rd?

Also had a good ride in VA. Loved that flying feeling pretty much the entire race.

Just one thing, is there anywhere on the hub where we can name and shame litterbugs who chuck their wrappers out on the road during a race instead of simply putting it back in their pockets?

Agreed these people just throw bottles, wrappers etc away. Shocking.

was that the one at the cbr of Northrand and pretoria rd?

I have no idea. I'm from the Vaal and was hanging on for dear life 90% of the time.

Great race, very fast and very Flat!!!

Also very well organised

One thing that was very poorly managed was the finish line...

Finished with the EL front group and there were hundreds of people (cyclists with their bikes) standing 10 meters from the finish line, completely blocking the road.

If there were a massive bunch sprint there would definitely have been many casualties.

I did hear the organiser asking the cyclists to move, but no one listened...

Other than that, loved the race!!!

Fast race, CL group was very twitchy but managed to hold 40kmph average, so I clocked a 2:27.

I saw 3 falls in the group. I really don't enjoy the nervous big groups at high speed. I guess that's part the thrill of this race...some strong lady riders in the bunch! Great to see them mixing it up with the guys.

I gotta ask. Who the hell is Stephen. Kept hearing guys behind me call Stephen even in different Batches. 

One thing that was very poorly managed was the finish line...

Finished with the EL front group and there were hundreds of people (cyclists with their bikes) standing 10 meters from the finish line, completely blocking the road.

If there were a massive bunch sprint there would definitely have been many casualties.

I did hear the organiser asking the cyclists to move, but no one listened...

Other than that, loved the race!!!

agree this was a problem, had to come to a complete stop and then walk through the traffic here with all the people hanging around.

Otherwise a good event, will be back next year to chase a sub 2:30.

I don't do much road riding, but what made me smile was the sound of all the carbon bikes when we hit the rough tar sections. It really is a special sport !

Awesome event ASG!! 

Started in C but got caught behind 2 falls and couldn't catch up with the group so rode with a few solo's until D picked us up till the end!

Also started in CL.

Very hairy staying with the group in such a fast paced race.

Concentration levels are severely tested and you really need to keep your eyes wide open.

Was very lucky to avoid the two falls in our group and never thought I'd see a sub-2:30 and finish a race with a 40kph average.

Strongs to all the fallers and a big thank you to Gerald and well done to ASG - after all the bad press they do need some recognition for this one.

Archived