Emperors Classic 2016 (road)

Dexter-morgan

Had loads of fun on VA today... Well atleast until mr Baxter and I decided to do the Tango on the last downhill after the highway bridge.... Very very scary, I thought we were going down hard at pace! Fortunately all ended well, but I lost my nerve and legs , finished with the chase bunch in 2:11, definitely a PB for me on many aspects.

Big thanks to Gerald for all his help the past few months!!!

You did the hard work boytjie!!!!

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So today was my first race. Only been riding for 7 weeks. Last week friday I was in hospital for pain management, neurosurgeon and MRI scan this past week, have two bulged disk s1/l5/l4 and flu ontop of it! Really didnt think I was going to race but I gave it a go.....

I am proud to say I did a sub 3, 2:58!

Can't wait for the next race!!!

So the big bloke in lycra just snuck in under 3 hours (2:59:47) [big = 120kg]

Started EL, didn't have the legs to keep up, waited for next bunch, FL passed me while I was visiting a tree, GL was perfect except for everyone being so nervous, no fun being on a road bike with disc's and hoping no one brakes into you.

Saw one to many idiot drivers jumping intersections and the 40Km riders moaning when asked to move over made for a fun final 15km's

So today was my first race. Only been riding for 7 weeks. Last week friday I was in hospital for pain management, neurosurgeon and MRI scan this past week, have two bulged disk s1/l5/l4 and flu ontop of it! Really didnt think I was going to race but I gave it a go.....

I am proud to say I did a sub 3, 2:58!

Can't wait for the next race!!!

very well done, natural fitness there or just a strong background to endurance sports ?

Took me a year to get a sub3, last year Emperors my time was 3:57

My first Emperors Road. Did 20km MTB last year (and suffered).

Got into Road with the 94.7 2015 so figured I would do emperors road this year. Loved it.

Not been training much which showed. Got 03H03 with 32km/h average. Was within my goals so happy. Next year I will ensure I train hard and finish with the big boys on sub 02H30 :)

very well done, natural fitness there or just a strong background to endurance sports ?

Thanks man. Always been a gym guy, wouldnt say fit but always been strong especially the legs. Used to squat 140kgs and leg press around 500kg. Had to stop the weights over a year ago when my back couldnt take it anymore.

Will Power and determination helped today!

If I may ask, how old are you?

Edit: ignore this, saw on your profile you still young. 

How long before last years emperors did you ride bike for?

All round mostly kudos and good results ... Brilliant 

.I was very pleased with how ASG and Gerald got everything to gel so well  :clap:

I rode in C , some twitchy wheels is about my biggest complaint .. really felt good and was convinced i would be there in the sprint today . Made sure to stay out of the wind , avoid issues, 3 team mates with me working , all seemed well.  After the crash last week i was pretty well patched up..1  training ride and yet I was ready to race today . Right hand in a brace , i was comfy and ready to show my "STUFF" ....until... 55  km mark... 

Rumble strip !!!   OMG !!!! no warning when i hit it , shocks reverberated through my braced hand ... I'm pretty sure the high pitched screeches was me shrieking with pain. tapped off almost to a standstill, game over !!! Team mate dropped back to check on me and after recovery tried to take us back to the bunch, after 10km of balls to the wall i sat up cos riding with one hand just was not going to last  :blush:

Then my infamous Limp to the finish , 2h45 ... (I'll be back  :whistling:  Revenge part 3 )

All round mostly kudos and good results ... Brilliant

.I was very pleased with how ASG and Gerald got everything to gel so well :clap:

I rode in C , some twitchy wheels is about my biggest complaint .. really felt good and was convinced i would be there in the sprint today . Made sure to stay out of the wind , avoid issues, 3 team mates with me working , all seemed well. After the crash last week i was pretty well patched up..1 training ride and yet I was ready to race today . Right hand in a brace , i was comfy and ready to show my "STUFF" ....until... 55 km mark...

Rumble strip !!! OMG !!!! no warning when i hit it , shocks reverberated through my braced hand ... I'm pretty sure the high pitched screeches was me shrieking with pain. tapped off almost to a standstill, game over !!! Team mate dropped back to check on me and after recovery tried to take us back to the bunch, after 10km of balls to the wall i sat up cos riding with one hand just was not going to last :blush: .

Then my infamous Limp to the finish , 2h45 ... (I'll be back :whistling: Revenge part 3 )

Ya with all the bad riding and severe braking in E bunch those rumble strips caught me off guard while taking a gel out my pocket. I held it together , but I think I snipped off a small piece of my saddle cover.

For the record, all I did was propose today's route (as well as the previous one that was eventually changed to today's). And then also the timing for each start group - based on my experience with the Carnival City Macsteel National Classic. Nothing major, but purely based on the interests of our safety.

But please do keep the posts coming, as ASG get a lot a flack for a lot of events - and by the looks of the comments so far, this has been a successful event.

Greatest thing about today was that we never caught up with any of the shirt distance riders. Rode in VC. Problem was being caught by tandems. The bunch used them to pull our break back.

If I may ask, how old are you?

Edit: ignore this, saw on your profile you still young.

How long before last years emperors did you ride bike for?

Was riding for just almost 4 months when I did the event last year. Was seriously overweight and had a massive lack of endurance back then.

Absolutely loved this event. Organisation was brilliant and big ups for using the disadvantaged as marshals.  Also big ups to the EMPD i got a flat around 65 km and the one officer stood with me asking if he could assist and kind just watching over me for traffic and dodgy people going past. That was cool.  All in all a great ride fast and flatish. definitely going to be back for the next one.  Also because of the race all the potholes near my house were fixed yay!!

Really enjoyed it, rode with a friend, we did 3:09, I am sure I could have done sub 3 my average HR was 136, Well done to ASG and Gerald for all the assistance to them he should become a race organizer.

This was my first road race on an actual road bike. All I can say after the nerves wore off it was fast an fun! Managed a 2:36 with some excellent riding partners.

Fantastic event and will be back again.

Archived