Handlebar Width/Length

wepat

Hi Hubbers,

I have a standard 720MM 6061 Alu bar on my Spez Camber thinking I may want to go wider/longer what would you recommend.

I am thinking of buying a Carbon Enduro bar which I think is 760mm

I am 1.76M tall and ride a M frame I main ride trails not a race snake but do a few stage races.

Thanks

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have gone from a 720 to 750 wide bar and am loving it.

You will probably need a shorter stem though.

I would get the 760...fit it and ride with it ,then put your 720's back on give them a go then out the 760 back on if you really can't live with the extra 4cm ...cut them down.

Personally I don't think i could ride wider than 720's on the trail...but i would enjoy the opportunity to try.

I bought myself the rapide 780 expecting to cut it down to around 760. I never did and I've been very happy with the change. The thing is if you go wide bars you must go short stem too. They go hand in hand. Also expect to be a little freaked out at first. I took a few rides to get used to things but once I did I felt so much more confident. You have to persevere though as it feels twitchy at first but basically its like power steering, inputs you make are amplified (so you have to concentrate) but stuff the trail throws at you like rocks and ruts are diminished in terms of their ability to throw you off line. It makes a huge difference. I was shocked.

I bought myself the rapide 780 expecting to cut it down to around 760. I never did and I've been very happy with the change. The thing is if you go wide bars you must go short stem too. They go hand in hand. Also expect to be a little freaked out at first. I took a few rides to get used to things but once I did I felt so much more confident. You have to persevere though as it feels twitchy at first but basically its like power steering, inputs you make are amplified (so you have to concentrate) but stuff the trail throws at you like rocks and ruts are diminished in terms of their ability to throw you off line. It makes a huge difference. I was shocked.

Yeah, also went for the rapide 780mm a while back from a 660mm and it felt like driving a bus steering wheel, felt super odd.

Experimented with different lengths and thought i had it dialed in at 778cm but went back to 780mm to make sure and that it where it stayed.

Also went from a 90mm to a 60mm stem. What size stem you using?

Yeah, also went for the rapide 780mm a while back from a 660mm and it felt like driving a bus steering wheel, felt super odd.

Experimented with different lengths and thought i had it dialed in at 778cm but went back to 780mm to make sure and that it where it stayed.

Presently I'm using a 40mm that I'm very happy with. The shock of going shorter was significant but once I got used to it I realised it was a better setup and now I couldn't be happier.

i went from 600 to 780 and i think i settled on a 720 now. Personal preference.

600 wow that is very short/narrow

Also bought the rapide 780 and cut it down to 750! Definitely takes getting used to but wont change it! Using a 60mm stem inverted though, works perfectly!

• 2 years later...

I currently ride a 100mm travel hardtail with a 680mm flat bar and 100mm stem. I want to replace them with a Rapide bar and stem combo, but I cannot decide what to get. What is the widest that would be suitable for a hardtail? I mainly ride in Jonkershoek/Eden, but I also do ride longer distances such as Karoo 2 coast and I plan on riding the Ama rider 100miler this year.

I am considering either a 720mm flat bar with either a 70/80mm stem or a 780mm Rize-R (5° upsweep and 9° backsweep) with either a 60/70mm stem. The Rize-R bar would probably be cut to 740mm, but I am unsure how comfortable the upsweep would be. I also don't want to buy the 720mm bar and regret not getting a wider bar instead.

I'm 1.78m, Large trail bike (29er). I find 760mm is my sweetspot with a 50mm stem.

Rather go for a wide bar (800 or 810mm), and then cut down from there. You can always go narrower, but you can't go wider!

I'm 1.78m, Large trail bike (29er). I find 760mm is my sweetspot with a 50mm stem.

Rather go for a wide bar (800 or 810mm), and then cut down from there. You can always go narrower, but you can't go wider!

Problem is it's a 100mm hardtail and not a trail bike so I feel going too wide will be overkill. My main concern at this point is flat vs the bar with upsweep and stem length.

I am 1.86m tall and ride a L HT frame. Have tried the 780mm bars and found it too wide for general use, cut down to 760mm on my new bar and I'm super happy. I reckon anywhere between 760mm and 800mm is the place to be

Archived