[Event] Nissan Trailseeker WC #2 Grabouw

WesselvdWalt

Another thing.  Who got stung, wait, rephrase, who did NOT get stung by bees? Really stupid of the organisers to lay out the route past those bee cages. One guy next to me completely freaked out, and the more he screamed, the more the bees stung him.

I saw the beehives, but no bees. Maybe they only got annoyed after a certain time. (I have no idea what time you went past there though.)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the marathon. My revenge ride. Last year I could not finish it.It was still a very tough race.

My wife did the half marathon. She was complaining at the persistence of the bees. She is convinced that a cyclist or two, who heeded nature's call, p!$$£d of the bees. ????They were on a war path. They stung her through her arm warmers, crawling on her gloves & buff, and, invaded her helmet. Apparently two cyclist were allergic to bee stings, had to end their ride and be treated by the paramedics.

Edited by Bikes

Where was the hives? Up the old pass? Saw a couple of hives but not a single bee.

What a tuff day, got dropped by the B bunch within 2 kilometers...Way faster pace than the half normally has in B bunch.

Sorry that i was so in my moer by the time we got the singletracks. With 4 kilometers to go you go up the last hill turn right and go down a hill with alot of sand....being so tired and not paying attention just happy to be moving without having to pedal i lost concentration and front will slipped out and i went otb.

I think there was a bit more climbing than 1300m but me and my buddies garmins might be wrong.

Will i be doing it again? NO

Where was the hives? Up the old pass? Saw a couple of hives but not a single bee.

What a tuff day, got dropped by the B bunch within 2 kilometers...Way faster pace than the half normally has in B bunch.

Sorry that i was so in my moer by the time we got the singletracks. With 4 kilometers to go you go up the last hill turn right and go down a hill with alot of sand....being so tired and not paying attention just happy to be moving without having to pedal i lost concentration and front will slipped out and i went otb.

I think there was a bit more climbing than 1300m but me and my buddies garmins might be wrong.

Will i be doing it again? NO

The hives were along the old pass.  It was at the first set of hives where a swarm of bees were attacking the riders, so someone must have p!$$ed them off. I tried to help one rider who was screaming and had 5 or 6 bees stinging him, when I got stung by 2 myself.  The other sets of hives were quiet.

Also shouldn't have ridden with my headcold. Bees didn't bother me but a crash into a hive could be bad!

Had to laugh at the MC's freudian slip "So good to have women in our sport and there are lots here today.... A really great turn off". He meant turn out of course.

Or did he? A few other misogynistic chirps made at the start suggest perhaps not.

Fantastic scenery. i would love to go back with my camera and spend some hours.

This was my first trailseeker this year, do they have new ways of scanning your board at the events? last year they scanned you in at the chute and at the end they scanned your board again. This year my board wasn't scanned at chute or at the end?

This was my first trailseeker this year, do they have new ways of scanning your board at the events? last year they scanned you in at the chute and at the end they scanned your board again. This year my board wasn't scanned at chute or at the end?

they have overhead scanners now it seems. i saw it at the finish and i may have seen at the start as well, not sure. nice upgrade! the race was perfect and loved it. the organisers must have got it right because every1 on the hub is quiet :P 

I enjoyed the marathon - not as much single track as the Boschendal event, but made up for it with brilliant scenery.  I didn't see a single bee.  The last 20km was a proper mud fest - I was soaking and loving it!  

Results are online here. Although considering a Grand Master took 13 minutes out of Gert Heyns, I'm going to guess they're provisional.

• 3 months later...

So, did not like the half marathon route.  Also felt sick through the night with a stomach ailment. Should not have ridden.  As soon as I put down the hammer, I got bad nausea and a sharp headache. So I tried to ride as hard as I could without feeling real bad, but some light nausea remained with me through the race.  Actually almost turned back after 3kms.

Another thing.  Who got stung, wait, rephrase, who did NOT get stung by bees? Really stupid of the organisers to lay out the route past those bee cages. One guy next to me completely freaked out, and the more he screamed, the more the bees stung him.

3 of my mates got stung. One of my mates got stung 30 times on his back alone And a few times on his head, neck and arms. ..

3 of my mates got stung. One of my mates got stung 30 times on his back alone And a few times on his head, neck and arms. ..

wrong thread....

my bad. Similar incident at  nissan trailseeker wp #3 hemel & Aarde.

yeah i heard, luckily i pulled out last minute due to a cold but my buddy got stung 26 times on his back and apparently they "raped" his head. On saturday evening he had hot and cold fevers and was throwing up but now he just looks like a 15 year old girl going through puberty!  :w00t: