Taking care of forks and shocks

NickGM

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or just ride a rigid... Fewer hassles, less expensive and a more natural ride.

Ai

The direct approach.

True also, but less rewarding.

I prefer my full suss. A natural ride on a "sinkplaat pad" is not nice.

Each to its own though. And yes, some segments of this thread may belong in the classifieds.

I recognised the trademark, I've got a can of speed spray, looking at the properties on the webs, it's the same stuff. Just rebranded??

I just use EP 90 gear oil but I am sure fork oil would work just as well. I put a drop on each stanchion, then spread it around to wet both stanchions 360 degrees around their circumference. Then I open the fork damper fully and depress the suspension a few times. Then I wipe off the ring of oil with collected dirt. Repeat the depress/wipe a few times (hard work). I end up wiping of off almost all the oil. But the stanchion is clean and coated with a molecular thick layer of lubricant and  there is less dirt inside the seals. Seems to work and  there is no evidence of wear on my stanchions.

Of course that little Swiss bottle is a lot more sexy and maybe less messy.

Hi Nimo and WorriorMTB

Look no further! BRUNOX has heard your cry for help!

We are 93 bike shops country wide and are always looking for new customers. So if your local bike shop does not stock us, Please ask them to contact us. 

Nimo, I see you from the western cape. which suburb you situated in? 

WorriorMTB, it says you situated in Pretoria, Right? We have tried the jhb market, but the shops are not biting yet at the idea of stocking us. But give it time! If enough customers ask for it, which creates a demand for it. The shops will start stocking it.

At the moment we are in Swiss cycles(Rosebank), Cycle tech(Morningside and Kyalami), Northcliff cycles (Northcliff), Bouwer Broers (Pretoria), Cycle House (Pretoria) and Tool Up & Maintenance (Pretoria)

The benefits of using BRUNOX Deo is that it ensures that the forks function to it full potential. It maintains damper joints, adjustment screws and keeps knobs running smoothly. It cleans and seals crowns, dip and standing pipes. Keeps seals moist to prevent cracking and excess dirt and dust from penetrating them. As well as it repels dirt and dust away from seals. 

***PLEASE NOTE*** BRUNOX Deo is not a replacement or an alternative measure to servicing ones forks. The manufactures set service intervals are still up held. BRUNOX Deo just helps with the day-to-day maintenance of your forks. Used correctly, the service costs on average are less due to less wear and tear on working parts. 

Yes that is true RockGuy! Please avoid all contact with Rotors!!!!! Not a fun experience, trust me! Only our Brake Cleaner may be used on the rotors and calipers. 

NotSoBigBen, we have had that complaint alot. "Your product last too long" thats the usual one we get. Unfortunately the SWISS only want to make it in a 100ml bottle.

BRUNOX Deo can be applied before and after every ride and as well as after a bike wash. Spray it on the extansions just above the seals. Depress the forks a few times to get the Deo working. Then take a cloth and wipe all the dirt that has been pushed away from the seals and the extansions as well as the seals and any over splash. Especially the back side of the lower fork.  Repeat until most of the dirt has been repelled. Then you fork is ready to hit the trails.

Hope all your questions have been answered. If you have any more, feel free to pop us an email or on social media:

Facebook- Atlantic Cycle Products

Bikehub- Mattex21 DM me or on any thread to do with forks or lube.

Our main aim is to educated the riders on how to look after their forks. 

Rgs

Matthew

Technical Enquirers

matt@atlanticcycleproducts.co.za

To answer your question - Stellenbosch. For any of the locals reading this and looking for Brunox, I managed to find some at Outdoor Escape at the shopping centre at the base of Helshoogte.

Thanks for all the great feedback Matt, appreciated. I've already used it and it's done a really good job of clearing grime away from the seals on my fork. So far so good.

OK so having sorting out the stanchion cleaning and lube issue, I'd like to do some of the long term fork and shock maintenance myself. Things like changing oil and seals, etc. Does anyone know where it would be possible to get Rockshox shock oil and seal kits?

OK so having sorting out the stanchion cleaning and lube issue, I'd like to do some of the long term fork and shock maintenance myself. Things like changing oil and seals, etc. Does anyone know where it would be possible to get Rockshox shock oil and seal kits?

Waiting in anticipation for the answer to your question too ????

I've (almost) always got stock. PM or mail me and I'll sort you out.

Nimo, im glad to hear that you got sorted out at Outdoor Escape, hope you enjoy using our product!

Whats the low down on cleaning the wiper with a toothbrush after a ride (getting dirt out of the top grove)

Whats the low down on cleaning the wiper with a toothbrush after a ride (getting dirt out of the top grove)

I used to struggle with that, then I got a marsh guard. Now I just wipe the top of the seal with a wet micro fibre cloth when washing my bike after rides.

The marsh guard works a charm to stop gunk being thrown up onto the stanchions and seals.

I've (almost) always got stock. PM or mail me and I'll sort you out.

Good stuff, will be in touch when I need it then. Incidentally, I've got an old fox float shock that needs new seals, Do you stock those? And are you open at all over the easter weekend?

Good stuff, will be in touch when I need it then. Incidentally, I've got an old fox float shock that needs new seals, Do you stock those? And are you open at all over the easter weekend?

I'll be riding my bike over the easter weekend I'm afraid. But yes, I do have stock of Fox seals - although you need a special tool to fit the new ones.

This is my take:

- Wash your mtb after every ride if it is dirty, never bring a high pressure washer close to the bike and try to keep water away from the headset and the seatpost for obvious reasons.

- No need for stanchion lube, silicon spray will do the job to keep the rubbers in good condition

- Inspect stanchions for damage, if they are damaged they need to be replaced

- Preventative maintenance is key to a long life for a fork

- Most important thing is to service the fork at regular intervals, change the foam rings and seals and fill with new oil, I encourage everyone to try it, it is very easy once you know how

- Different forks from different years have different seals, oils and oil capacities. Do the research on your own fork and note it down, get the supplies together and give it a try, watch some you tube videos, you will save yourself a fortune.

The same applies to caliper seals - 

- Remove the wheels

- Remove brake pads

- Operate lever a little to push out caliper (do not let them pop out)

- Clear around the caliper with benzine or something that flashes quickly

- Spray a little silicon spray around the caliper and wipe down

- Reassemble and you will never have sticking calipers

- Be careful not to get air into the system as you will need a brake bleed then