What's the thing that really boosted your skills/fitness?

Hackster

Oh and for MTB the two best lessons ever:

1. Look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go.

2. You can never get too far back.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slacker head angle and a dropper post for skills. Skills improved remarkably even back on an XC bike.

Guest notmyname

Slacker head angle and a dropper post for skills. Skills improved remarkably even back on an XC bike.

Don't think the dropper improved your skills.

The trick though is you need to be able to still hold on to the handle bars

I have had a cartoon moment hanging mid air Off the back while my bike kept going without me

I discovered another thing that made me faster yesterday... RAIN.... 

I was out on the afternoon ride when I got caught by the rain... when i got back home I broke several of my Strava Segment records, trying to get home ASAP..

Who Knew!!!

The trick though is you need to be able to still hold on to the handle bars

I have had a cartoon moment hanging mid air Off the back while my bike kept going without me

Ha ha classic - there is definitely that trick to be aware of!

1. Look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go.

100% for point 1 but I disagree on point 2.

I have only had 1 person at a class who got so far back it made his front wheel bounce all over and become uncontrollable, you still need some weight on the front to turn.

I would say keep your weight on your feet, 10-20% on your bars (for general riding)

100% for point 1 but I disagree on point 2.

I have only had 1 person at a class who got so far back it made his front wheel bounce all over and become uncontrollable, you still need some weight on the front to turn.

I would say keep your weight on your feet, 10-20% on your bars (for general riding)

Fair enough Peach - but most folk are (weirdly) quite reluctant to get back. A few guys who I've helped had to have it drummed into them that getting back will help you a whole heap - certainly a lot more than the instinctive reaction of going forward when it gets hairy!

As mentioned by a few others, commuting was probably the biggest change in terms of fitness for me. Well, commuting, coupled with Strava.

Firstly, I'm forced to ride home since I got to the office.

Secondly, there's a Strava segment that starts almost right outside my office and it is approximately the first 1/3 of the total distance. I'm sitting second in the KOM table and I really want that.

Though even the days that I don't have the energy or inclination to push for the KOM it is still a great way to clear your head of the day's stresses...

I'm fortunate that we have a gym in the office so it's easy to get a shower and changed, and if I had to look for another job, if they didn't have such facilities I think it would now be a deal breaker for me.

Oh ja, also - you haven't finished climbing until you start descending (ie smash it over the top) that makes you stronger.

Learn to pace yourself properly: ride the bottom of the climb for the top and the start of the ride for the finish...

Fair enough Peach - but most folk are (weirdly) quite reluctant to get back. A few guys who I've helped had to have it drummed into them that getting back will help you a whole heap - certainly a lot more than the instinctive reaction of going forward when it gets hairy!

Definitely found that too.

Your fore and aft balance over the bike is (should be) ever changing with varying gradient. That's why a sudden dip or drop on a descent catches many out.

Beginners need to learn to do these major fore and aft movements in order to stay safe and comfortable. The feeling is being balanced standing on your feet with no pressure of your palm on the grips (too far forward) and no feeling of hanging on the fingers (too far back). As you ride more and become more skilled you do these adjustments instinctively. 

In corners weight needs to shift a little more over the front for front end grip and then lateral balance over the bike needs to be adjusted which is a whole other discussion.

Definitely found that too.

Your fore and aft balance over the bike is (should be) ever changing with varying gradient. That's why a sudden dip or drop on a descent catches many out.

Beginners need to learn to do these major fore and aft movements in order to stay safe and comfortable. The feeling is being balanced standing on your feet with no pressure of your palm on the grips (too far forward) and no feeling of hanging on the fingers (too far back). As you ride more and become more skilled you do these adjustments instinctively.

In corners weight needs to shift a little more over the front for front end grip and then lateral balance over the bike needs to be adjusted which is a whole other discussion.

Just touching on this subject of getting back on the bike: when i was riding clipless pedals with my current 60mm stem, i felt i could get far enough back. Now that i have transitioned to flats (still learning to ride with em), i feel i dont get as far back and its probably because my feet are now in the mid position on the pedals rather than on the ball of my feet.

My thoughts are that i could go with a shorter stem to get back a bit more but the i think i will be too cramped up or is this thinking wrong as the small mm difference in stem length will not be sp much noticable in terms is positio of my arms?

Archived