RIFLE

mon-goose

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

competency application is now in, let the wait begin

After a year of back and forth and documents apparently lost and probably 2 new applications.. hubby finally got the sms saying his application has been approved...now the wait to actually get the physical licence card.

So good luck..

• 4 months later...

so four months after applying I finally have my sms to say the competency has been approved. Now to wait for the paper to arrive.

Does anyone a good priced / condition rifle safe for sale

so four months after applying I finally have my sms to say the competency has been approved. Now to wait for the paper to arrive.

Nice! The DFO should be able to print your competency while you wait for the card to arrive. You can use the printed competency certificate to apply for a firearm.

No, but I have advice: Buy bigger than you think you will ever need, these things also fall under the same N+1 rule that applies to bicycles. 

Be prepared to wait a little longer. My licence application went in on 5 Jan and I am still waiting...

Make sure get someone who knows what they are doing to help with your application

will definitely get someone who knows what they're doing to help with the process. Fortunately got a few people who have done it before to give guidance. 

On 4/24/2019 at 12:48 PM, mon-goose said:

Edited by Snytjie
privacy

You are lucky, it seems. I submitted application Sept'18 and got sms back 3 months later that my test results are incomplete. Obvious bull****, and DFO agrees. He said a whole badge came back denied although none had problems/omissions. His advice was to resubmit as appeal can take a year. Now been 4 months since re-submission, and no word. DFO doesn't return calls. How ******-up is a system where a DFO cannot call the central registry to enquire about progress and/or info about refusals? I spent a lot on competency test only to run into this shitwall...

Does anyone know of options open to me?

GOSA

You are lucky, it seems. I submitted application Sept'18 and got sms back 3 months later that my test results are incomplete. Obvious bull****, and DFO agrees. He said a whole badge came back denied although none had problems/omissions. His advice was to resubmit as appeal can take a year. Now been 4 months since re-submission, and no word. DFO doesn't return calls. How ******-up is a system where a DFO cannot call the central registry to enquire about progress and/or info about refusals? I spent a lot on competency test only to run into this shitwall...

Does anyone know of options open to me?

Try phoning CFR offices and join GOSA.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the SMS from SAPS today. my handgun license was approved. Thank Goodness - I really didnt want to go through the appeal process. I took exactly 4 months from dropping off the application to now.

Got the SMS from SAPS today. my handgun license was approved. Thank Goodness - I really didnt want to go through the appeal process. I took exactly 4 months from dropping off the application to now.

Now the wait to actually get the physical licence card.

Now the wait to actually get the physical licence card.

ja for sure - but at least i know its approved - i was starting to have doubts. Small wins...

• 2 weeks later...

got my sms saying the competency was approve a month ago and. The local DFO has been on leave so still need to go get the print out for it, not sure if I also need to get a card for the competency.

This whole process definitely teaches one patience

got my sms saying the competency was approve a month ago and. The local DFO has been on leave so still need to go get the print out for it, not sure if I also need to get a card for the competency.

This whole process definitely teaches one patience

they can give you a computer print out. dont think they do the card any more

I received the print out for competency and then about a month later received an sms stating that I need to go and get my card. DFO said that they do competency cards again apparently.