RIFLE

mon-goose

unfortunately i can only get 1 firearm so it needs to be a compromise between the 2. i am sure my wife will have no problem with the .40

.40 do not have heavy recoil. It is a low velocity caliber. More important is to take your wife to the range to show her proper technique for handling the firearm when shooting, and for racking the slide.

Edited by Moridin

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

.40 do not have heavy recoil. It is a low velocity caliber.

9mm is generally recognized as a far better all round caliber

My go to when I still had guns was 9mm para.

.40 do not have heavy recoil. It is a low velocity caliber. More important is to take your wife to the range to show her proper technique for handling the firearm when shooting, and for racking the slide.

will be paying for some professional instructions for her. She will not have the gun in the house unless she knows exactly how to use it

until you have to use it on a bushpig

until you have to use it on a bushpig

Probably...mine was not for bushpigs 

Sir Ranulph Fiennes  put his store in a 44 mag revolver for stopping power for polar bears.For some reason,which I cant remember,they were prevented from packing rifles in his arctic expeditions

Edited by Kranswurm

Recognized by who exactly as a better all round caliber?

It is a military round - designed to cause injury and not death - so your military logistics gets overloaded with patients requiring care.

It is not the official caliber of either the FBI or the CIA any more for 1 specific reason - it's not very effective at stopping bad guys compared to other calibers - and they both have gone bigger - .40 and 10mm auto.  10mm auto's only disadvantage is that it's usually a big weapon and not very concealable.

US police forces are also moving away from 9mm - with ,40 being the current favorite for duty weapons.

Recognized by who exactly as a better all round caliber?

It is a military round - designed to cause injury and not death - so your military logistics gets overloaded with patients requiring care.

It is not the official caliber of either the FBI or the CIA any more for 1 specific reason - it's not very effective at stopping bad guys compared to other calibers - and they both have gone bigger - .40 and 10mm auto.  10mm auto's only disadvantage is that it's usually a big weapon and not very concealable.

US police forces are also moving away from 9mm - with ,40 being the current favorite for duty weapons.

Actually thats not quite correct.The FBI are changing back to 9mm from the .40

The Army has gone for the Sig 9mm to replace the Model 92 which was my favourite but a bit big

The .40 has a huge kick compared to the 9mm.Reason i bought a 9mm was that i was trained to double tap and it's become instinct now.The .40 is slow for that second shot.Instead of 2 in chest i was getting 1 in the chest and 1 in the collarbone.

With the newer 9mm ammo companies are getting similar ballistics with both rounds..40 does penetrate a little deeper though but wound size is similar.

To me having 2-3 extra rounds is more important than a more powerful round.Also having an accurate second shot is very important.

You can't compare the two when using solid ball ammo though.

FBI decided on the 9mm again because accuracy dropped when they went over to .40.

Units that use a SMG's are still sticking to .40 and .45 as backup weapons.

Unless you destroy the brain or heart the caliber will make no difference.Get what you want, with decent expanding ammo and train properly.

Actually thats not quite correct.The FBI are changing back to 9mm from the .40

The Army has gone for the Sig 9mm to replace the Model 92 which was my favourite but a bit big

Sig is lighter with the polymer frame.

The sights are way better than the 92F

It has the rail for a torch or laser.

Sig has 17-21 round magazine compared to 15.

Sig is actually a bit bigger than 92F

Trigger is smoother on the 92F

The .40 has a huge kick compared to the 9mm.Reason i bought a 9mm was that i was trained to double tap and it's become instinct now.The .40 is slow for that second shot.Instead of 2 in chest i was getting 1 in the chest and 1 in the collarbone.

With the newer 9mm ammo companies are getting similar ballistics with both rounds..40 does penetrate a little deeper though but wound size is similar.

To me having 2-3 extra rounds is more important than a more powerful round.Also having an accurate second shot is very important.

You can't compare the two when using solid ball ammo though.

FBI decided on the 9mm again because accuracy dropped when they went over to .40.

Units that use a SMG's are still sticking to .40 and .45 as backup weapons.

Unless you destroy the brain or heart the caliber will make no difference.Get what you want, with decent expanding ammo and train properly.

Shot placement is probably the most defining factor with small arms. Even a .22 will kill you if the shot hits the right target on the body. The problem is that most shots at target goes to the biggest part of the body, it being the chest (mostly lungs as the heart is much smaller and very hard to hit), and a shot at the lungs are not really effective in stopping an advancing target.

Sig is lighter with the polymer frame.

The sights are way better than the 92F

It has the rail for a torch or laser.

Sig has 17-21 round magazine compared to 15.

Sig is actually a bit bigger than 92F

Trigger is smoother on the 92F

How is the Sig for reliability? The Beretta 92 is a bit like Shimano SPDs - just keeps on working no matter what.

How is the Sig for reliability? The Beretta 92 is a bit like Shimano SPDs - just keeps on working no matter what.

Ha ha ...I could strip mine with my eyes closed

Sigs are legendary for reliability. If I could I would get myself a P229 as carry. Even better if it was a Legion issue.

Edited by Moridin

Sig's are very reliable pistols  :thumbup:

A few of the cops here are carrying M18 and i was lucky to get a few shots in. it's a great weapon that shoots well.

this is my thinking and it may very well be complete bollocks. if i am in a situation i want the bad guy to go down, but if possble not die. i just think it makes any follow up court appearances easier. but the harder he goes down the better, so a bigger hole in a non vital area would be more effective than a smaller one.