Suikerbosrand. What's with the rudeness?

HappyMartin

Off-topic, quick question to the people who know SBR. How long is a loop and what is the ascent?

58km total ascent 1260m..

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As per my Garmin this passed Saturday 57ks 1140m's of ascent ....

it was all that paper boying I was doing.

it was all that paper boying I was doing.

I wanted to get to the end as soon as possible so went as the 'crow flies' wherever possible  :devil:

Referring to OP , that is quite sad - pathetic attitude by those MTB'ers

I've been there a few times in the last few weeks (sunday) and have had excellent banter and conversations with those on MTBs and road bikes throughout the course especially just before the big hills... At the end of the day, we all in it together and we sharing a passion.

Sidenote: Respect to the oke who did Suikerbos on a fixie two-three weeks ago ... he went up the first hill like it was flat!!

I was passed by two friends on ss doing a double last weekend. They are training for Panorama. Doing Panorama on a ss is just insane. Training at SBR for Panorama is pretty good I think. Anyway I guess I will find out in just under a month.

I was passed by two friends on ss doing a double last weekend. They are training for Panorama. Doing Panorama on a ss is just insane. Training at SBR for Panorama is pretty good I think. Anyway I guess I will find out in just under a month.

ss @ sbr... Fo@king ell... That wellard.

3 ways to deflate group crazies:

1. ignore

2. say, 'look there!!... an ostrich!' or 'check there... sealant'

3.  smile and wave             

3 ways to deflate group crazies:

1. ignore

2. say, 'look there!!... an ostrich!' or 'check there... sealant'

3.  smile and wave

3 works for me....

agree there Swiss. I am now (a lot) closer to 50 than 40 and my tolerance level for knobheads is at an all time low and diminishing exponentially.

That's got less to do with your age and more to do with the fact that nobody likes a "knobhead"!

Sorry about your experience but the overwhelming positive response to this thread shows that it's the exception and not the rule, keep enjoying your riding and don't let immature behaviour put you off. I recon he was just showing off to one of the ladies as the young bucks do and you were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I love the reserve. My favorite place to ride In Gauteng. Now I'm not exactly the hardest bloke on a bike and I am getting on a bit at 55 but I like to try.

That lead me to do lots of riding at the reserve over the last two weekends with all the holidays. Long queues to get in but I'm OK with that. The staff were friendly and we all waited patiently. I did double loops on Friday Saturday and Sunday. Did double loops on the Saturday and Sunday the week before as well. I saw hundreds of cyclists

Loads of People on mountain bikes. I would say 90% of the cyclists are on mountain bikes. Friday as I'm setting out on the first climb from the parking lot I come up behind what looks like two couples. Well two men and two woman. All about 20 years younger than me. I don't say anything but come up behind thinking they will spot me or hear me. No need to shout or anything, and the one bloke does see me after a moment. He he immediately shouts out the way everyone, a roadie is trying to come past. I just look at him thinking he must be joking. He then stands and does a big accelaeration and gets over to the left. Looks back at me and says. Oh look, I think it's a girl. And come on lady. Come past then. Everyone laughs and I go past. He continues to make comments about roadies.

The week before also on a double loop I crest one of the big hills to see the road is totally blocked by about 20 people on mountain bikes. I say good morning and the one guy says oh look a roadie. There is no space to get past. I come to a complete standstill and say excuse me please. No one moves. They are all stopped in the road having a chat and I rest I suppose. I unclip and push my bike around them on the gravel. They all just watch me. Men and woman.

Now I don't hold with the roadie vs mtb thing. I started cycling in 1992 when I bought a mtb and switched to road in about 2005. All just cyclists and cycling to me. I ride with a friend who did the Epic when it was still a new thing and he has now also switched to road. So it goes. Perhaps we will switch back one day. Perhaps not. But what the hell is this rubbish. If I ride off road I have some plonker who just moved out of a shopping mall telling me I'm a dirt roadie and when I'm on the road I have to suffer insults from some git doing 4km an hour on a 6% gradient in a such an easy gear that he looks like my granny trying to shake doggy pooh off her bed socks.

Fortunately most people on bikes are real friendly and encouraging. To the rest. Please go back to golf.

What a bunch of assholes, sorry to hear of this. I have also noticed lately that there are a lot of arrogant and intolerant cyclists out there, selfish, rude, can`t greet,can`t say please or thank you, perhaps this is because the sport is opening up to more `triers` for whom golf is no longer de rigueur, or maybe it`s a matter of stats now that there are more cyclists out there the odds are greater that one will bump into the *** 5th percentile. Time will hopefully weed them out, or maybe I`m just being a hopeless romantic!

That's got less to do with your age and more to do with the fact that nobody likes a "knobhead"!

Sorry about your experience but the overwhelming positive response to this thread shows that it's the exception and not the rule, keep enjoying your riding and don't let immature behaviour put you off. I recon he was just showing off to one of the ladies as the young bucks do and you were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Well they were good looking women and they gave a a nice if slightly embarrassed smile

Archived