Suikerbosrand. What's with the rudeness?

HappyMartin

I love the reserve. My favorite place to ride In Gauteng. Now I'm not exactly the hardest bloke on a bike and I am getting on a bit at 55 but I like to try.

That lead me to do lots of riding at the reserve over the last two weekends with all the holidays. Long queues to get in but I'm OK with that. The staff were friendly and we all waited patiently. I did double loops on Friday Saturday and Sunday. Did double loops on the Saturday and Sunday the week before as well. I saw hundreds of cyclists

Loads of People on mountain bikes. I would say 90% of the cyclists are on mountain bikes. Friday as I'm setting out on the first climb from the parking lot I come up behind what looks like two couples. Well two men and two woman. All about 20 years younger than me. I don't say anything but come up behind thinking they will spot me or hear me. No need to shout or anything, and the one bloke does see me after a moment. He he immediately shouts out the way everyone, a roadie is trying to come past. I just look at him thinking he must be joking. He then stands and does a big accelaeration and gets over to the left. Looks back at me and says. Oh look, I think it's a girl. And come on lady. Come past then. Everyone laughs and I go past. He continues to make comments about roadies.

The week before also on a double loop I crest one of the big hills to see the road is totally blocked by about 20 people on mountain bikes. I say good morning and the one guy says oh look a roadie. There is no space to get past. I come to a complete standstill and say excuse me please. No one moves. They are all stopped in the road having a chat and I rest I suppose. I unclip and push my bike around them on the gravel. They all just watch me. Men and woman.

Now I don't hold with the roadie vs mtb thing. I started cycling in 1992 when I bought a mtb and switched to road in about 2005. All just cyclists and cycling to me. I ride with a friend who did the Epic when it was still a new thing and he has now also switched to road. So it goes. Perhaps we will switch back one day. Perhaps not. But what the hell is this rubbish. If I ride off road I have some plonker who just moved out of a shopping mall telling me I'm a dirt roadie and when I'm on the road I have to suffer insults from some git doing 4km an hour on a 6% gradient in a such an easy gear that he looks like my granny trying to shake doggy pooh off her bed socks.

Fortunately most people on bikes are real friendly and encouraging. To the rest. Please go back to golf.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just ignore them and enjoy your cycling

I also do road and MTB

Just as I ride a bike and drive a car

Not sure where all this us vs them stuff came in,but I suppose it depends on the type of person you are

Keep riding your bike ,smile and wave:)

I reckon its got something to do with being 50 or older....man i find that i'm increasingly suffering like this as well...finding people that just generally irritate me especially when they have no sense of space and that they are blocking the way 

:whistling:

Sorry u had to meet up with these arrogant and selfish ignoramuses

I remember cycling around suikerbos last century.....when all you heard was the wind blowing through the grass and not another human insight :thumbup:

Best thing is to smile and wave :clap:  while silently thinking ignoramus

I love the reserve. My favorite place to ride In Gauteng. Now I'm not exactly the hardest bloke on a bike and I am getting on a bit at 55 but I like to try.

That lead me to do lots of riding at the reserve over the last two weekends with all the holidays. Long queues to get in but I'm OK with that. The staff were friendly and we all waited patiently. I did double loops on Friday Saturday and Sunday. Did double loops on the Saturday and Sunday the week before as well. I saw hundreds of cyclists

Loads of People on mountain bikes. I would say 90% of the cyclists are on mountain bikes. Friday as I'm setting out on the first climb from the parking lot I come up behind what looks like two couples. Well two men and two woman. All about 20 years younger than me. I don't say anything but come up behind thinking they will spot me or hear me. No need to shout or anything, and the one bloke does see me after a moment. He he immediately shouts out the way everyone, a roadie is trying to come past. I just look at him thinking he must be joking. He then stands and does a big accelaeration and gets over to the left. Looks back at me and says. Oh look, I think it's a girl. And come on lady. Come past then. Everyone laughs and I go past. He continues to make comments about roadies.

The week before also on a double loop I crest one of the big hills to see the road is totally blocked by about 20 people on mountain bikes. I say good morning and the one guy says oh look a roadie. There is no space to get past. I come to a complete standstill and say excuse me please. No one moves. They are all stopped in the road having a chat and I rest I suppose. I unclip and push my bike around them on the gravel. They all just watch me. Men and woman.

Now I don't hold with the roadie vs mtb thing. I started cycling in 1992 when I bought a mtb and switched to road in about 2005. All just cyclists and cycling to me. I ride with a friend who did the Epic when it was still a new thing and he has now also switched to road. So it goes. Perhaps we will switch back one day. Perhaps not. But what the hell is this rubbish. If I ride off road I have some plonker who just moved out of a shopping mall telling me I'm a dirt roadie and when I'm on the road I have to suffer insults from some git doing 4km an hour on a 6% gradient in a such an easy gear that he looks like my granny trying to shake doggy pooh off her bed socks.

Fortunately most people on bikes are real friendly and encouraging. To the rest. Please go back to golf.

Ye that is not cool hey! I ride both on the road and the mtb. Road as it's less wear and tear on the bike and softer on the pocket but ride all the marathon and stage races I can on the mtb...

This whole roadie vs mtb thing is rubbish. You should just reply and say, oh another mtb rider riding his bike on soft tar roads...

In the end, we all cyclists trying to ride our bikes and enjoy the sport of cycling... Who cares what bike you on, at least you out there riding the bike!

But, if you are going to ride, don't pass comments on the bike to other cyclists, especially if you only doing 5km/hour on a climb.

Too true. No one wants to accept the truth. Everyone too aggressive with no reason. Answers are just platitudes, not solutions

Have also noticed a lot of MTB's in SBR lately, more than usual from what i have seen before. Then last weekend bumped into someone i know as i was leaving the reserve and he was with a group on  MTB, said they all here preparing for Sani2C.

Possibly many more doing that so lets see after the race if it quietens down, otherwise just smile and wave and leave them to suffer.

Its because you are a girl and older than them... and going past!!!

EGO 0 / Lady on a road bike +1 :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  .... do it again... maybe they will finally get the idea that you actually need to train a little to keep up and that making STUPID remarks isnt going to make you any faster

I believed for a while that the prevalent attitude and culture within mountain biking is 'cool vibes, respect for others, love nature, all for one-one-for-all.

I still believe this to be true.

Some peeps didn't get the memo though.

Yea what a great place to ride albeit exceedingly tough. To have to contend with rude thoughtless ignorant tw@ts at anytime is annoying. But when you out riding your bike in such peaceful tranquility minding your own business is just boll@cks.sorry for your experience as it always leaves a sour taste in your mouth ,even if you had a stellar ride.

There is a lot mnt bikes at sbr,on any given wkd. But the recent increase is ppl training for sani. I know a lot of doc riders have been using it for training.

But I just don't get the rudeness,and it's not just mountain bikers.

I as lots of ppl ride both mnt & road bikes,albeit new to road riding.

I do a lot of solo riding or with a mate. There is always chirping when there is large groups of ppl. Like "look he still has his winter coat on" and " nice chinerello "

I just smile and wave as I climb past them on a hill,noddingly agreeing with.

After all you can't educate pork you just salt it.