No more Sani2C for me

Seriously? Waaaaahahahaha!

ok, not nearly as much moaning as previously....ha ha ha.  

Edited by nonky

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got hypercholesterolaemia, never goes below 6 and is usually 7; one parent died young of a heart attack.

I've worried about it from early 20s, I'm 51 now, but got my arteries scanned two years ago and they were clear.  It was the best thing to see, ever.

So, apart from statins that I don't get on with, what prevents deposits forming?

(Before cycling and out of shape in my mid-30s cholesterol could go to 11)

I'd like to know more about the scan you had . Where and how much ? If you don't mind .

Thanks for the comments and well wishes.

It started on the left hand side and felt like indigestion.

@ 19 I had what I'd like to call my "heart attack", although technically not a heart attack in the true sense (Blocked arteries etc), it was what turned out to be a combination myocarditis / pericarditis - Basically the heart muscle and the muscular sac that surrounds it got inflamed as a result of an infection, however this in effect restricts the hearts ability to pump blood and gives the same symptoms a a traditional heart attack.

Mine started the indigestion symptoms to which my ol'man at the time (was still living at home) said, here, have some gaviscon and go sit in the lounge for a while... :whistling: , it then worsened to struggling to breath normally, almost like something standing on my chest, but what sent us to the ER @ around 23:30 that night was the tingling feeling in the left arm, almost like in the school days if someone punched you just in the right place.

ECG confirmed it and spent the next 3 days in ICU while they treated the infection and got the inflammation down. Followups over the years indicate some minor scarring on the pericardium but no long term risk.

Hope you heal up soon, and Sani2C 2017 has your name on it!

Depends on your version of easy.....

Normally won't be done unless as a result of a full cardio workup - and it won't be close to free.

Do they do a scan or something... how do they see if there is a build up?

I'm just wondering because surely once you get into your 50's it should be done, at least once to give you an idea if you are at risk for this ACD... I'll be due for a check up later this year but with my local swiss GP, he's not a cardiologist but he has done a the ECG type stress test on me before a few years ago.

I've got hypercholesterolaemia, never goes below 6 and is usually 7; one parent died young of a heart attack.

I've worried about it from early 20s, I'm 51 now, but got my arteries scanned two years ago and they were clear. It was the best thing to see, ever.

So, apart from statins that I don't get on with, what prevents deposits forming?

(Before cycling and out of shape in my mid-30s cholesterol could go to 11)

What procedure is it to scan the arteries.

Depends on your version of easy.....

Normally won't be done unless as a result of a full cardio workup - and it won't be close to free.

How far away from free?

1. Make your eyes water or,

2. If the condition does not kill you the Dr's bill will.

Might consider doing it as my old man clocked out at 60 with a heart attack, 5 years away for me. Will Discovery step up?

Do they do a scan or something... how do they see if there is a build up?

I'm just wondering because surely once you get into your 50's it should be done, at least once to give you an idea if you are at risk for this ACD... I'll be due for a check up later this year but with my local swiss GP, he's not a cardiologist but he has done a the ECG type stress test on me before a few years ago.

CT or PET scan, either with or without an imaging dye, and can be done as part of a full body scan or just a localized cardiac scan

Edit (missed the how question) - they look for high calcium concentrations in the deposits - they have a scoring mechanism for this, but how that works exactly is only answerable by a cardiologist or a radiologist.

They would only normally do it if you are considered a high risk patient for cardiac disease, so age, blood pressure, cholesterol counts, family history of cardiac disease, smoker will all be taken into account

The test is definitely not a family GP type test

Edited by V12man

Might consider doing it as my old man clocked out at 60 with a heart attack, 5 years away for me. Will Discovery step up?

The will step up if your plan covers diagnostic scans - so basically only the top tier of plans - unless it is done as part of assesment of a diagnosed condition - in which case more plans cover - but still only the better ones - ask Myles where to look for specifics for your plan - I never deal with that stuff :)

My biggest worry is that I will be told that I can not cycle anymore. I also had a " mini " stroke a few years back and had the stenth planted in my body.

When I read this I went cold as I had the same (not a stroke) but a full heart attack just after completing the Carnival City race two years ago. The symptoms were exactly the same as described.

The good news is that after 4 stents a fairly long recovery period and then a slow start to built up fitness again I am back cycling as before the incident. The only negative effect is caused by the Beta Blocker medicine that keep my heart rate below 140. So my legs give in due to oxygen shortages. 

Make sure you recover full before you start exercising seriously. Get well soon and you can do the Sani in 2017

What procedure is it to scan the arteries.

and Anticlimb

I met a radiologist at the Kremetart in Louis Trichardt, staying at the same place, and he offered for free - so i cant say who or where!!!! :whistling:

I went to see Prof Raath at Charlotte Makwekwwkwkwkwkweee who put the spin on the scans and generally looked into my situation - that was about R600. About 4 months waiting time for that appointment.

It was a big donut machine - so i'm guessing CT scan.

Thanks V12 Man too for sharing your professional knowledge so generously.

I understand that at Rosebank Clinic they do a Full Body scan after injecting some kind of dye. With that you can see every artery and every possible blockage or problem.  This process is not cheap and most medical aids will not cover this. 

See more info:  www.scanforlife.co.za

I will be going in two weeks time - think its worth the cost if you had a problem or is high risk.

I understand that at Rosebank Clinic they do a Full Body scan after injecting some kind of dye. With that you can see every artery and every possible blockage or problem.  This process is not cheap and most medical aids will not cover this. 

See more info:  www.scanforlife.co.za

I will be going in two weeks time - think its worth the cost if you had a problem or is high risk.

That sounds like a CT scan (I call it the 'feels like you wet your pants tests), probably just in more detail.

funny this..

sorry for you, hope you get well soon......do you wanna sell your entry? 

Don't forget it is a BLOOD test too..... I know you will be prostrate after that... :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

some people just like the finger.

some people just like the finger.

You havn't seen Dips run from a needle yet.... let me tell you - that man is QUICK...... :)