Open letter by Vents regarding disc brakes **Graphic photos**

gummibear

I have a friend who had the tip of his finger cut off by a brake disc on a motorcycle while loading it. Hectic

One of our hubbers lost a bit of a finger due to a mc chain and sprocket - forget which.....

They should put front and rear cameras on every bicycle in the peleton with live feeds to team cars as well - and lose the motorcycles to improve safety - we would get great visuals too - and better forensics of accidents.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone's an expert about what the pros should or should be worried about. Haven't seen any hubbers in the pro peloton recently. As Tubehunter says, let's let them decide what is safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They must also clench their fists when falling so that a spoke doesnt break a finger and tendon from a spinning wheel.

What are they gonna do about the sharp crank chainrings?

6 of one, half a dozen of the other I guess.

Why cycle anyway? Cars can hit you, you can choke on a bug, you can even die from sepsis from an untreated saddle sore and remember your wet wipes when you sit on your couch.

To be honest, its not a good argument. The UCI tries to keep Bicycles for racing as close to original design as possible, if an improvement is made that take away from this, then it is reviewed (like funny shape frames). If an improvement upon the original design has more potential for injury, then it gets reviewed. If that improvement does not show any signs of extra dangers and does not take away from the classic bike design, then it gets accepted.

Spokes, Chainblades are part of the original "bicycle".

12957545_10156809485515611_2067066651488

Must have some nerve damage as well hence the reason they installed fibre optic cables in his leg  :whistling:

One of our hubbers lost a bit of a finger due to a mc chain and sprocket - forget which.....

They should put front and rear cameras on every bicycle in the peleton with live feeds to team cars as well - and lose the motorcycles to improve safety - we would get great visuals too - and better forensics of accidents.

TNT 1

Must have some nerve damage as well hence the reason they installed fibre optic cables in his leg  :whistling:

I was wondering what those were for.....

Lekker man, i hope they come in all the different team colours

Disk brakes can also be adjusted mid ride - pad contact point adjustment is tool free on decent brakes

I didn't say it couldn't be done, just that its easier (and to add now) more effective with rim brakes. Provided you don't stick your finger in the spokes (and hopefully don't have aero BLADED spokes.

Unless of course you have those rear brakes hiding behind the BB like on some aero frames...those are damn difficult to find never mind adjust when on a bike stand :whistling:

BTW Do u now what those blue "fibre optics" are in the guys wound?

Having compared the two, in the dry there is very little difference between the disc and rim, you can use maybe one less finger on the disc for same amount of braking. 

Yoh, those accidents are crazy! 

They are the pro's they should decide if discs are allowed in their peleton.

Is it just me that can't see how a disc could cause that injury to a left leg of the rider, especially given that he did not actually fall?

The disc is on the left side, and his left leg had a whole bike between it and the bike he crashed into.

You might want to take the brain from your avatar and put it back into your head :whistling:

I didn't say it couldn't be done, just that its easier (and to add now) more effective with rim brakes. Provided you don't stick your finger in the spokes (and hopefully don't have aero BLADED spokes.

Unless of course you have those rear brakes hiding behind the BB like on some aero frames...those are damn difficult to find never mind adjust when on a bike stand :whistling:

BTW Do u now what those blue "fibre optics" are in the guys wound?

What is easier than turning a screw on the handlbars?

The blue threads are drains - pull out one at a time to allow drainage from the wound.

The blue threads are drains - pull out one at a time to allow drainage from the wound.

What? So you can't attach a USB stick to them to download power stats?

What? So you can't attach a USB stick to them to download power stats?

Nope - a set of pliers gets attatched to see the true grit of the patient.... :clap: :clap:

Archived