New Shimano SLX M7000 groupset goes 11-speed

News bot

On the Mrs. bike I have a brand new chain and an 11-42 cassette running my old XT 10 speed derailleur (1 x 10). The problem is that to accomodate the 42 cog the B-Screw has to be turned in very far and the top pulley wheel while in the 11 up to 21 tooth sprockets is far away from the cassette. I know that the newer 7000 and 8000 series rear derailleurs have addressed this problem (I am running an XT M8000 1 x 11 on my bike) . Hence my question is would the new M7000 derailleur work on a 10 speed shifter , it will save me a bit of cash until I need to replace the cassette and chain with which I will then go M7000 everything

I'm not sure if the leverage ratios are the same (i.e. if the same degree of cable displacement by shifter causes same degree of movement by RD).

The problem of B screw and the top pulley being so far from the smaller gears when running converted 1x 10spd cassette does result in slower shifting but it works reliably. I was happy with mine for the last 18 months.

I just changed to full M8000 setup with the 11-46 cassette. Shifting is very much better - light, slick and near instantaneous in all gears. Just beware, based on current Shimano specs from their website (possible error) the M7000 long cage RD is for 3x systems and is 10speed and still only designed for max. 36t big cog on the cassette whereas the medium cage RD can take 11-46 in a 1x system or 11-42 on 2x systems but is designed for minimum 40t on the big cog which means the top RD pulley might be too far away for a standard 11-36t 10 speed cassette.

If it works with your M8000 RD it will work with the M7000-GS RD.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Edited by JXV

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah thanks JXV. I have the GS M8000 rear derailleur . Will also get the M7000 GS rear for her bike as well .

Edited by robsc

I'm not sure if the leverage ratios are the same (i.e. if the same degree of cable displacement by shifter causes same degree of movement by RD).

The problem of B screw and the top pulley being so far from the smaller gears when running converted 1x 10spd cassette does result in slower shifting but it works reliably. I was happy with mine for the last 18 months.

I just changed to full M8000 setup with the 11-46 cassette. Shifting is very much better - light, slick and near instantaneous in all gears. Just beware, based on current Shimano specs from their website (possible error) the M7000 long cage RD is for 3x systems and is 10speed and still only designed for max. 36t big cog on the cassette whereas the medium cage RD can take 11-46 in a 1x system or 11-42 on 2x systems but is designed for minimum 40t on the big cog which means the top RD pulley might be too far away for a standard 11-36t 10 speed cassette.

If it works with your M8000 RD it will work with the M7000-GS RD.

Is the M7000 not 11speed?

To help clear this up .

New 
SLX is available as follows :

rd-m7000-10 ( for 10 speed only and 10sp 11/36 Cassette only )3x 

rd-m7000-11  ( for 11 speed , 11/40 or 11/42 1x or 2x )( and 11/46 1x only ) in 11sp you only get one cage length .

Note the New 7000 rd may look the same but you get a 10 and 11 speed and they not cross compatible.

Is the M7000 not 11speed?

M7000 1x and 2x is 11 speed.

M7000 3x is still 10 speed..... strange decision.....

I have taken my M8000 11 speed GS and fitted it to her 10 speed 11-42 Sunrace , 10 speed Shimano chain and SLX  M670 shifter and it shifts perfectly , I cant see why the M7000 11 GS wont do the same (unless they are on a different pull ratio) ?

Edited by robsc

I have taken my M8000 11 speed GS and fitted it to her 10 speed 11-42 Sunrace , 10 speed Shimano chain and SLX  M670 shifter and it shifts perfectly , I cant see why the M7000 11 GS wont do the same (unless they are on a different pull ratio) ?

Correct , the 8000 will work on 10speed ( but only with a 11/42 ) if you had to try a  stock 11/36 the shifting may not be smooth . the reason is the old 10sp RD ran parallel to the cassette and the new ones run in a angular motion to be able to keep the rd close to the cassette from the 11 to the 42 ect . if you have ever tried a 10 rd on a modified cassette you will have noticed the gears are not great on the bottom end because you had to crank the B screw so far in to get it to clear the 42 . 

As I have never yet tried a SLX 11speed on a 10speed i cant comment .

For me in life i just keep it simple , use what is designed to be used as a system together and dont mix , this way its reliable.

Happy riding Bro

I have taken my M8000 11 speed GS and fitted it to her 10 speed 11-42 Sunrace , 10 speed Shimano chain and SLX M670 shifter and it shifts perfectly , I cant see why the M7000 11 GS wont do the same (unless they are on a different pull ratio) ?

Yes, if the M8000 RD works with her 10spd shifter on a 11-42 cassette then the RD M7000 GS will also work.

The new 11speed RDs are designed for wide range cassettes with 40, 42 or 46 big cogs. To do this they position the top pulley further away from the axle than older 10 speed RDs. If you try to use an older 10 speed 11-36 or 11-34 cassette with 11speed RD you'll need to slacken the B screw and it may not be able to get the top pulley close enough. It will work but shifting could be slow or imprecise

Edited by JXV