The Mystery Rider has been found, NOW how to keep going to Friday?

KarlvN

I understand they contribute nothing toward the trails, my question is based on the land owners stopping access to the land , if a rogue rider and a paid up rider , look the same , ride the same, and pretty much are the same except for a payment to a club, how does that affect the land owner ?

Because his terms for entry are not being met, and there's no control being exercised. Simple. 

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand they contribute nothing toward the trails, my question is based on the land owners stopping access to the land , if a rogue rider and a paid up rider , look the same , ride the same, and pretty much are the same except for a payment to a club, how does that affect the land owner ?

It pisses off the other members who pay.

It's like people jumping queues, in the bigger picture it doesn't make a difference, but the act goes against our social acceptable norms.

The farmers interests are being used to justify the anger to some degree.

Because his terms for entry are not being met, and there's no control being exercised. Simple.

The problem lies in the fact that this is South Africa , and alot of private land is used as traveling paths for people to get too and from work , Infact these foot paths are the basis (starting point) for a large portion of what people now call single track. "Land owners don't(read can't) stop these people walking across there land , and as stated in this thread, trespassing is not considered a criminal act. So nothing is done. If nothing has been done for years about this, what makes anyone think stopping g people riding on these same paths is even slightly possible?

Not read the thread, but am curious... if someone was that close to take a pic, they not stop him and request he leave the trail immediately, else get his name and or board number as he rode past???

Seems rather after the fact and a bit of mob frenzy to go chasing later rather than confront at the time.

As I do not know the circumstances, or the skim reading, maybe I missed this bit of info

Not read the thread, but am curious... if someone was that close to take a pic, they not stop him and request he leave the trail immediately, else get his name and or board number as he rode past???

Seems rather after the fact and a bit of mob frenzy to go chasing later rather than confront at the time.

As I do not know the circumstances, or the skim reading, maybe I missed this bit of info

Automatically triggered hidden camera. No-one was there.

This

It's a motion activated camera . Like the camera traps used in wildlife studies

As a strict roadie I have a question. Why would a land owner care whether or not a rider is rogue or not? If he is happy to let people ride on his land then surely it makes no difference to him who rides there? Or is part of the day price and club membership going to the land owner and therefore he would have an interest in policing who is riding his land?

Put yourself in the landowner's position - would you care who access to your property or would you allow a "free for all" situation where anyone can do on your property as they please if it is your farm?

The problem lies in the fact that this is South Africa , and alot of private land is used as traveling paths for people to get too and from work , Infact these foot paths are the basis (starting point) for a large portion of what people now call single track. "Land owners don't(read can't) stop these people walking across there land , and as stated in this thread, trespassing is not considered a criminal act. So nothing is done. If nothing has been done for years about this, what makes anyone think stopping g people riding on these same paths is even slightly possible?

None of the trails in Tygerberg are traditional commuting footpaths. All are purpose built MTB singletrack.

Please stop trying to find. excuses for these idiots

None of the trails in Tygerberg are traditional commuting footpaths. All are purpose built MTB singletrack.

Please stop trying to find. excuses for these idiots

Which ones? The rogue riders or the self appointment Trail Law Enforcers?

Which ones? The rogue riders or the self appointment Trail Law Enforcers?

Rogues.

The over zealous TLE's just shouldn't have behaved like that nor intimated that barbwire and paintball guns are responsible solutions to the problem of rogue riding

Unless I am mistaken, I am getting the distinct impression that you are condoning of rogue riding and unauthorized access to land, Brickleberry?

If you have never been to Tygerberg MTB trails, rather leave comment about these being pedestrian footpaths that became singletrack over time. That is just offensive and degrading to Patrick and his trail gnomes, who have bust their collective asses to design and build these very trails for us, the paying public.

Some background you may not be aware of, the club has already lost access to a trail within spitting distance from this trail in question due to the same attitude displayed by one perpetrator towards a land owner who confronted him about his illegal access to his land.

So, as a member of this club, I feel that no matter any person's opinion, there will NEVER be a situation where what happened here will be okay.

Archived