Winter Training

Can you use Wattbike on Zwift?

You can, but it's not ideal.

Zwift, Bkool, CVT and the like are best paired with smart trainers (Kickr, CycleOps Powerbeam, etc.) as they dynamically control the resistance based on the course. AFAIK you can't do that with a WattBike. Having trained on a Kickr and a Wattbike, I would always say the Kickr is better for home use. Wattbike is great, but I could never spend 3 hours on it. I've done several sessions of 2h30+ on my Kickr and the longest being 3h45. Not as tough as on a constant resistance trainer.

If you're spending R40k on a trainer.... rather get a Kickr, a cheap/second hand frame and front wheel, and upgrade your racebike and put the "old" components on your trainer.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Increased muscle mass might also not be a good idea?

For endurance, keep within Discovery's proposed zones for maximum gainz

Discovery always knows best, their guidelines are based on the latest scientific research.

come to Slaapstad and race - are we the only place in the RSA that have winter racing? 

attachicon.gifll3.jpg

May1 Sun WP League TT 20km Riebeeck Kasteel

8 Sun WP League Crit   Ottery 

15 Sun WP League Road 108 km Atlantis

22 Sun WP League Road   Killarney

29 Sun WP League Road 120 km Worcester - Rawsonville

June 12 Sun WP League Crit   Lights by Linea - Polkadraai

19 Sun WP League TT 20km Riebeeck Kasteel

26 Sun WP League Road   Killarney

July 10 Sun WP League TT 20km Riebeeck Kasteel

17 Sun WP League Crit   Lights by Linea - Burgundy Estate

24 Sun WP League Road 125 km Fesantekraal

Aug 7 Sun WP League TT 20km Riebeeck Kasteel

14 Sun WP League Road   Killarney

21 Sun WP League Road   TBC

28 Sun WP League Crit   Lights by Linea - Paarden Eiland                  

What are the numbers like at these events?

What are the numbers like at these events?

the smallest field was for the TT - 69 riders and the largest was for the circuit race at Lady Loch 215 riders - this is not counting the u10/12/14/16/18 who use our logistics but are not part of the series. so far we have had over 500 individual riders ride at least one of the events - we average ±150 riders per event and we race Categories 1 (PPA ABC)  2 (PPA DEFG)   3 (H - Z and Masters)  not age categories.stressful at times but we are getting there. go to western province cycling FB page 

the smallest field was for the TT - 69 riders and the largest was for the circuit race at Lady Loch 215 riders - this is not counting the u10/12/14/16/18 who use our logistics but are not part of the series. so far we have had over 500 individual riders ride at least one of the events - we average ±150 riders per event and we race Categories 1 (PPA ABC) 2 (PPA DEFG) 3 (H - Z and Masters) not age categories.stressful at times but we are getting there. go to western province cycling FB page

Well done.

I would like to think that during this 'off season' you increase your volume (amount of hours spent on the bike) and decrease your intensity (measured in heart rate or wattage' and with 2 months before Amashova start decreasing volume and upping the intensity . Now is a great time to improve power through gym workouts ....Squats , lunges , 1 leg squats , dead lifts keeping reps light for about 3-4 sets of 12-15reps and as amashova approaches decrease reps and increase your weight ( 5-7 reps ) 3-4 sets.

Core work : Pilates is great of do it daily at home . Also cross train during this time to increase aerobic base....swim , run etc.

Don't worry about speed skills during winter ...just focus on fitness .

I would like to think that during this 'off season' you increase your volume (amount of hours spent on the bike) and decrease your intensity (measured in heart rate or wattage' and with 2 months before Amashova start decreasing volume and upping the intensity . Now is a great time to improve power through gym workouts ....Squats , lunges , 1 leg squats , dead lifts keeping reps light for about 3-4 sets of 12-15reps and as amashova approaches decrease reps and increase your weight ( 5-7 reps ) 3-4 sets.

Core work : Pilates is great of do it daily at home . Also cross train during this time to increase aerobic base....swim , run etc.

Don't worry about speed skills during winter ...just focus on fitness .

the post wasn't directed towards what to do to prepare for winter riding, but more so towards what type of training 1 should do to improve during the months that we are not "racing"

Recently, all I did was ride, ride and ride. So now I have the chance the change the routine and focus on cross training that will help improve cycling.

Its a good idea to take up some other activities, it will help keep you motivated. Just doing boring mileage is not going to achieve much and might even leave you demotivated by the time summer comes around. That does not mean you can forget cycling and start in summer, you need to do the hard training before summer comes around, look at quality over quantity. 

To get some ideas...LOL start with a session on the couch and viewing the Nino Hunt for Glory series Chapter 1 thru 9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CctaKbrQLE0

Chapter 9 Part 1 in particular....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW-nWnl5hYk

Its a good idea to take up some other activities, it will help keep you motivated. Just doing boring mileage is not going to achieve much and might even leave you demotivated by the time summer comes around. That does not mean you can forget cycling and start in summer, you need to do the hard training before summer comes around, look at quality over quantity. 

To get some ideas...LOL start with a session on the couch and viewing the Nino Hunt for Glory series Chapter 1 thru 9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CctaKbrQLE0

Chapter 9 Part 1 in particular....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW-nWnl5hYk

his workouts are intense!!! 

thanks for all the input guys. my week's holiday to the bush starts today, without any bikes.

So will get going with the cross training from next week, think I will tackle gym and some running in the week, and then 2 rides on the weekend.

Have 5 months to get my weight down, and power n endurance up, have to make this time count !!

(Sorry haven't read all the thread, so if this is repetition, my apols!)

You could try entering a mid-winter event, particularly one with a differing emphasis? The Jock Tour/Classique is 'ideal', as due to the hilly nature of the events, it forces you to train climbing more, instead of cruise-mode. Anyway that's what I've done and never having done the Jock Classique before, we'll see what pans out. It's certainly quite affirming planning out training rides to include as many hills as possible instead of the more 'speed' oriented alternatives, and after a while, hills start to become the norm....sort of.

Edit: and there's nothing like training for hills to motivate you to lose an extra kilo or two!

I bought a Vortex and did 2 rides in zwift and I am hooked. There are weekly races according to you power to weight ratio. Doing my 1st race tomorrow. This will also keep you motivated and if you have adsl line all you need is a zwift account which cost less than R200 a month.

Perfect training in the winter and get more racing experience.

My 2c

(Sorry haven't read all the thread, so if this is repetition, my apols!)

You could try entering a mid-winter event, particularly one with a differing emphasis? The Jock Tour/Classique is 'ideal', as due to the hilly nature of the events, it forces you to train climbing more, instead of cruise-mode. Anyway that's what I've done and never having done the Jock Classique before, we'll see what pans out. It's certainly quite affirming planning out training rides to include as many hills as possible instead of the more 'speed' oriented alternatives, and after a while, hills start to become the norm....sort of.

Edit: and there's nothing like training for hills to motivate you to lose an extra kilo or two!

I just received the mail from ASG about the Jock entries closing next week. I am thinking about entering, but just need to look at it properly and make a holiday out of it as it's going to be a trek to get there from Dbn.

Check out GCN on U-Toob, Vivek'

Lots of good stuff relating to off-season training there

Its a good idea to take up some other activities, it will help keep you motivated. Just doing boring mileage is not going to achieve much and might even leave you demotivated by the time summer comes around. That does not mean you can forget cycling and start in summer, you need to do the hard training before summer comes around, look at quality over quantity.

Boring miles?

I didn't know that actually existed. Every time I get on the bike it's to have "fun", so it can never be boring.

Fun could be defined as a coffee ride, pushing a few club members to keep the gaps closed, sprinting against the team mates to a corner, attempting to steal a KOM, defend a KOM, in the hurt-box for "x" amount of time, riding nowhere slowly.

Heck, even a ride for 45 mins is better than no ride.

Reminds me of a comment from a race in April - the guy said "Most boring race ever". He was probably referring to the course, with his average HR was 120-odd bpm. Looking at the Strava Flybys[emoji769] he was sitting in the bunch for the whole race sucking wheel.

BTW - not aimed at you, but just an explanation that cycling can be enjoyable every time one rides if the objective for the day is known.

I've had bad days on the bike, but nothing that a post-ride coffee/sleep couldn't take my mind off the day.

Archived