Bike rack - rear or roof?

Loyiso

I use a roof rack, find it much more convenient because it us there all the time, no issue of finding where to store the rack or being able to get into the boot etc. On your Merc it will be easy to get it on and off in terms of height.

I do the CT-East London trip 4 times a year with my bike and it works like a charm, fuel efficiency difference is minimal. Check other options if racks aswell, holdfast and Rihno rack are also good Options. I'm personally using the VW bike rack on a tuhle wing bar on a Nissan and works perfectly.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

rear.

easier to put your bikes on and no risk of driving into your garage with the bike on the roof

check out http://www.rackandcarry.co.za/ they have a few options when it comes to tow bar fitted bike racks

Will check it out, thanks.

If you get the towbar one that the bikes hang on(like post 22), be careful when going over bumps or up sharp embankments as the wheels can hit the ground. Happened to a friend of mine and cracked his frame. He then got the towbar thule where the bikes rest on top of it.

I have the roof rack thule but it sits above the bin of my bakkie(I have an armadillo so am still able to load the bin and lock it) The bikes don't sit as high as they would on a normal car. When I use the wife's car they are very high and I do worry about hitting low hanging things. The front of the bike also gets full of bugs on long trips :thumbdown: . For Maluti next weekend I will be wrapping my bike in cling wrap!!!

I personally would get the towbar thule that the bikes rest on top of and for dusty roads I would just ride solo with the bike in the back.

Towbar. No doubt about it. Firstly, lower consumption than roof mounted (in the slip zone vs extending frontal area) and 2nd no chance of forgetting that they're on the roof and then klapping them on something.

Then there is the benefit of the towbar itself. Better rear crash protection and the bike rack also takes more than one bike if you and your mates wanna go somewhere.

Yeah. 

The wife had someone uninsured crash into the back of her with our bikes on the back. They stay on the roof racks now.

Hi Loyiso

They both have their merits and advantages bud. I have both.

The roof mounted bike rack is BRILLIANT if you are going to be travelling on a dirt road on the way to a MTB event. With the bike on the roof you will arrive at your destination with hardly a speck of dust on your bike.

With your bike on a rear mounted towbar carrier rack your bike will be unrecognisable after 10kms on a dusty dirt road.

If you are going to be travelling on tar to JHB then a rear mounted bike rack is perfect.

If you ever decide to travel to a MTB race that has more than 10km of gravel/dirt road i would suggest you take you bike apart and put it in your boot or fold back seats down etc.

Enjoy !

Thanks for the detailed opinion. 

REAR.

Btw, you get cashback on Thule stuff at Sportsmans Warehouse if you are a Discovery member and have the right card (can't rem waht it's called). 

Im in a process of buying a 2015 Giant Anthem X 29er small frame, but I have not made a final decision on the best option for my car when it comes to bike racks. I have a 2005 Merc C230 Coupe and getting a bike rack is proving to be mission impossible.

Initially I was looking at getting ProRide 598 roof rack but I was advised to get a rear rack that will fit into a tow bar. Im told this is the best option. I began shopping around and being a rookie that I am, I was shocked at the prices for bike accessories, money I would have loved to put into a bike and get a brand new one.

Option 1 - Thule quoted me R4999 for 961 wingbar, 754 foot pack and 1233 fitting kit. Then R2999 for ProRide 598. Total of R7998 for a brand new set. I have been looking on Bikehub, Gumtree and OLX for used racks, most of the items I have found are not compatible with my car.

Option 2 - I was quoted R4000 for a towbar (R9000 for a detachable towbar), a second hand Thule Euro 941 carrier ranges between R4000 - R6500 on gumtree and OLX.

It boils down to safety for my bike, ease of use, fuel consumption and aesthetics. Im based in Durban, so I wont be travelling long distances, except on few occasions when I visit my parents in Joburg. Im short, but can reach my roof comfortably. Both options will increase the fuel consumption (simple physics) but Im told, roof racks are more suitable for road bikes and not for MTB bikes due to weight, even though Anthems are not that heavy. To be honest, I hate tow bars (no valid reason) and it will be my last option (tight budget).

I need to decide ASAP as I might have my bike next week but it looks like I will have to wait before I can use it. Please help.

Regards

Loyiso

Rear / towbar for me.

I went for the ridiculously expensive Thule option but I'm very happy with mine - made my life much easier when it comes to traveling to races for sure and its solid. If I had to get again and had the time to shop through classifieds I might go 2nd hand Thule.

Like others have mentioned you do need to think of storing it when not on your car. Mine lives in the lounge behind a couch. (There are 4 bicycles behind each of the other couches so my lounge is more of a storage area.)

Yeah. 

The wife had someone uninsured crash into the back of her with our bikes on the back. They stay on the roof racks now.

Oh, no - I meant better rear crash protection when the towbar is not being used.... 

Just a thought, but for a long time in my early cycling career I needed every cent I could spare for my bikes and had no money for a rack. I very happily transported my bikes on the back seat of my car. With a road bike, just remove the front wheel and slide it in. With a MTB you'll need to take off both wheels but with a little practice you'll get it in easy. Just drape an old towel over the seat and you're good to go. Less chance of it getting filched off you too that way :).

I have both - the cheaper Thule roof mounts on my wagons roof rails and an older Thule with the towbar key lock attachment. 

The roof mount is my favourite  - easy to mount on a normal i.e not high roof line vehicle, and safe in a fender bender. Aside from the obvious risk if you drive into a low tree or garage entrance, I havent found any negatives. I keep the towbar rack for holidays but its useless if I tow a trailer which I do every now and then and was the reason I went with the roof racks. 

I also have an old Makro rack which fits to a plate bolted behind the tow hitch when i use a trailer and is fine for kids bikes.